< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: New Jersey man serving 7 years for guns he owned legally  (Read 1118 times)

Offline flatwater_go

• NFOA Full Member
New Jersey man serving 7 years for guns he owned legally
« on: November 30, 2010, 11:03:41 PM »

New Jersey man serving 7 years for guns he owned legally

"Aitken had passed an FBI background check to buy them in Colorado when he lived there, his father said, and had contacted New Jersey State Police and discussed the proper way to transport them.

New Jersey and Colorado are on opposite ends of the gun-control spectrum. In Colorado, all he needed was the background check to own the guns.

In the Garden State, Aitken was required to have a purchaser's permit from New Jersey to own the guns and a carry permit to have them in his car."

http://www.philly.com/philly/news/20101130_Family__New_Jersey_man_serving_7_years_for_guns_he_owned_legally.html

A-FIXER

Re: New Jersey man serving 7 years for guns he owned legally
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2010, 01:48:56 PM »
What a screwed up liberal mother (and I use that term very loosely) Who's son remark, crossed her threshold of what she would not accept and a quick dim witted as she can be called the cops instead of calling him back in and speaking to him. This is just wrong when that cop puts his ;johnson; in the calfs mouth is more than likely doing just fine and not serving 7 yrs in prision. This type of BS boils my gut, most of NJ needs to wake up to the modern world as well as D.C. in other metro cities in the north,south,west not to include kalifornia, east have by stat's have a lower than national gun crime related crimes.... I'm stopping now b4 I offend others or the anti-gunners.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2010, 03:48:32 AM »
Yes I read this article and was furious. In fact I believe NJ is violating federal law as far as the "Safe Passage Act" is concerned. Someone correct me?

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2010, 05:19:10 PM »
The Safe Passage act requires that you meet the legal requirements at your destination, so you might have a point, but the court disallowed all  the testimony that the man was traveling, so that defense was not available to him. I assume that move got them around the Federal law too.

I think it will be overturned on appeal, but it is New Jersey
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2010, 08:31:10 PM »
For those on Facebook: http://www.facebook.com/FreeBrianAitken

What a $#!++y deal.   ::)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2010, 07:56:29 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

GOOD NEWS!!

http://www.nj.com/news/index.ssf/2010/12/gov_chris_christie_commutes_se.html

Gov. Chris Christie commutes sentence of man convicted of having guns in N.J. illegally

TRENTON -- Brian Aitken, who was convicted of illegally possessing two handguns that he had legally purchased in Colorado, will be spending Christmas out of prison.
Gov. Chris Christie commuted Aitken's sentence, from seven years to time served, according to an order the governor signed today.
Supporters of Aitken began a "Free Brian Aitken" Facebook campaign to get his sentence commuted.

~~ See more at link ~~
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #6 on: December 20, 2010, 08:27:13 PM »
Too bad he was only commuted and not pardoned.  The "offense" is still on his record, he's still a felon.  This needs to be wiped clean.  Good job on Gov. Christie, though.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2010, 12:50:27 PM »
I am still following his facebook page, it looks like Brain ain't gonna roll over and give up, he is still fighting  on the whole thing.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2010, 04:26:21 PM »
Good. He needs to fight until they have overturned his conviction. I don't understand why the gov didn't just pardon him and solve the issue right then and there.