< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Blizzard Strips Gun Owners of Concealed Carry Privilege  (Read 1362 times)

Offline Thomas

• NFOA Full Member
Blizzard Strips Gun Owners of Concealed Carry Privilege
« on: December 29, 2010, 03:05:42 PM »
Blizzard Strips Gun Owners of Concealed Carry Privilege

http://nannystateliberationfront.net/2010/12/28/blizzard-strips-gun-owners-of-concealed-carry-privilege/

The recent blizzard that hammered North Carolina is also taking its toll on the state?s law abiding gun owners. Citizens possessing concealed carry permits who are caught packing heat during the ?state of emergency? will be subject to criminal charges, per the state?s firearms law.

On Christmas Day, Lt. Governor Walter Dalton, in consultation with Governor Bev Perdue, called in the National Guard as snow covered every county in the state. Once a state of emergency is declared, concealed carry permits become null and void, and those who aren?t familiar with this bizarre stipulation in the law are subject to arrest and criminal prosecution:

It is also a misdemeanor under North Carolina law for a person to transport or possess, off his or her own premises, a dangerous weapon in an area during a declared state of emergency, or in the vicinity of a riot. N.C. Gen. Stat. ? 14-288.7

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Re: Blizzard Strips Gun Owners of Concealed Carry Privilege
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2010, 04:24:29 PM »
Exactly the time when one might need a concealed weapon, perfect!

Omaha has a very similar ordinance, not sure if would apply to concealed permit holders or not.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline justsomeguy

• Defender of the Constitution
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2010, 04:36:52 PM »
If I remember correctly NE was considering an "Emergency Powers" law to prevent this shortly after the New Orleans Katrina disaster.

Anyone know if this passed?
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." - Marcus Aurelius

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2010, 07:02:39 PM »
from here: http://library1.municode.com/default-test/home.htm?infobase=10945&doc_action=whatsnew

ARTICLE IV.  STATE OF EMERGENCY CURFEW
Sec. 8-85.  Restriction of activities.
Whenever a state of emergency has been declared as provided for herein, the mayor is hereby authorized to take one or more of the following specified measures throughout the city or any part thereof:
(a)   Prohibit or limit the number of persons who may gather or congregate upon the public highways or public sidewalks, or in any outdoor place, except persons who are awaiting transportation, engaging in recreational activities at a usual and customary place, or peaceably entering or leaving buildings.
(b)   Establish a curfew limiting the hours when persons may go upon or travel the public streets.
(c)   Require the closing of cocktail lounges, taverns and bars and prohibit the sale or service of alcoholic beverages in any hotel, restaurant, club or other establishment, and require the closing of all other business establishments.
(d)   Prohibit or restrict the sale of gasoline or other inflammable liquids.
(e)   Prohibit the sale, carrying or possession on the public street or public sidewalks, or in any public park or square, of weapons including, but not limited to, firearms, bows and arrows, air rifles, slingshots, knives, razors or missiles of any kind.
(f)   To do any and all things and take such measures as are necessary to preserve the health, safety, and property of the citizens of this community.
(Code 1980, ? 8-85)
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline justsomeguy

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2010, 07:19:04 PM »
I was referring to LB 1076 of 2008. Attached below. It was introduced by Kent Rogert of Tekamah.

It was designed to prevent the confiscations and the suspension of individual rights that occurred in New Orleans after hurricane Katrina.

When I heard about it I assumed it would pass.
How could there not be enough support for this?
« Last Edit: December 29, 2010, 08:38:03 PM by justsomeguy »
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." - Marcus Aurelius

Offline wrenrj1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2010, 07:34:37 PM »

I don't know what to make of this article.  It's pretty vague.  I'd like to hear from someone from the state to see what's actually happening.

Just my .02 but the Article quoted by FarmerRick states   "the mayor is hereby authorized to take one or more of the following specified measures throughout the city or any part thereof"

Reading this, if this is the statute being used, seems to mean that under a Governor declared emergency, Mayors are given certain powers, one which MAY be exercised; Item (e) is carrying a firearm basically in a public area.  If you believe that ALL of these things will happen, well, do you think they're going to stop selling gasoline (Item d), or close bars(Item c)?  I doubt it.

Nebraska's Emergency Management Act gives the governor powers to suspend applicable state statutes and regulations developed by state agencies.  In a "Proclamation" as it's known in NE, the governor tends to be rather vague to allow agency heads to determine what statutes, rules, or regulations would need to be waived.  Seems odd, but it works.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2010, 05:42:07 PM »
We need to get Mark Christensen to revive LB 1076 and include it with the Castle Doctrine and CCW signage legislation that is going to be introduced this next session here in January.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2010, 06:22:47 PM »
If I recall Rogert's bill died in committee. Who knows why?

Ashford probably killed it with with a RINO load ::)
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline justsomeguy

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2010, 08:43:51 PM »
This is what happened to it.

The Senator replied quickly

Hey Dan,

1076 died at the close of session last April. I hadn't considered its re-introduction but wouldn't be against it. I have a fairly full plate this year already but we shall see what this next week brings. Thanks for the inquiry.

KR
krogert@leg.ne.gov

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2010, 09:15:01 PM »
I shoulda remembered better :-[
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2011, 02:23:10 PM »
I put a little bug in Sen. Scott Price's ear about it via Facebook.