< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Bill repealing the NE helmet law introduced 1/06/11  (Read 2916 times)

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Bill repealing the NE helmet law introduced 1/06/11
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2011, 06:28:18 PM »
I was just discussing this today with my brother and wondering what the status might be of this bill.  I think it ought to be a rider's choice, but I can also see the point of those who don't feel like having their tax dollar go to support an injured or killed rider or his family when the rider may have been saved by a helmet.  I would probably still wear mine on road trips, but perhaps not for short jaunts in town.  I recently checked the maps for helmet laws (like the ones on CCW laws), and it appears there are still enough states around requiring helmets that it would be difficult to go very far without one.  Still, most of us probably do most of our riding within our home state, so that would be the most weighty factor.  When I head to Virginia in June, Illinois is the only state with no helmet requirement that I will be transversing.  I think I could get by without one in North Carolina (or was it Kentucky?) as long as I have proof of health insurance that would cover me in case of an injury.  Some people might think that's a good idea too, to require the rider to have health insurance before being allowed to ride without a helmet.  The bad part about that is, that the cops wouldn't know if you did or not without stopping you for some reason.  And, if you crash and die without it, it's a bit late to ticket you for not having it.
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline Jay

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2011, 10:46:09 AM »
Repeal it, it's my choice!

And yes, I have crashed motorcylces, seen my good friends and family members hauled off in ambulances after crashes, and been a volunteer firefighter and been driving the rescue squad when I drove it to the emergency room with a rider after a crash. Some were wearing helmets and some were not. I don't care, it's their choice as much as it is mine.

I made our entire group stay out of Nebraska last year on our trip to and from Sturgis because Kim and I did not even take helmets with us. We had someone meet us at the toll bridge in plattsmouth to pick up our helmets and take them home. I never ride in Nebraska unlesss I have to.

Riding with a helmet is just not the same, not even close.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #22 on: February 01, 2011, 01:02:58 PM »
The hearing for LB52 has been scheduled for Feb. 14th in room 1113.

http://nebraskalegislature.gov/calendar/hearings.php?day=2011-02-14
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Roper

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #23 on: February 01, 2011, 07:53:05 PM »
A)It should be the riders choice. B) The rider and/or the rider's estate  100% are liable for all expenses that their insurance doesn't cover - no ability to write off the debt or file bankruptcy.  It's that simple.....
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.
Ronald Reagan