< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Mosin-Nagants at Cabelas  (Read 3171 times)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Mosin-Nagants at Cabelas
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2011, 10:19:00 AM »
Or you could get your C&R and have them delivered right to your door.....

Offline monkeyboy

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2011, 09:05:18 PM »
Tell me about it!  My credit card barely gets a chance to cool off!----Mike.

Offline schlumper

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2011, 12:36:33 PM »
Well, I've decided to sporterize one of these nagants. Anyone know of a gunsmith in the Omaha are that would install the ATI bolt handle and scope mount?

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2011, 01:40:10 PM »
I talked to cabelas and they put me on a wait list for one of these.  May take forever.  But givent he the costs to scope one, for a bit more I can get a modern .223 with scope so not sure if its worth it or not.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2011, 02:33:25 PM »
I think for the cost you'll be better off finding a used Savage or Stevens instead of scoping one of these.  They're neat rifles but they can't compete with a modern gun.

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2011, 02:47:12 PM »
Is it just me, but doesnt it seem pointless to have a high powered rifle like this without a scope?

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2011, 02:57:26 PM »
If you want to scope one, I have used the scout scope setup. The mount replaced the rear sight and scope has up to 10" of eye relief, also no need to bend or install bent bolt. I liked it better as with this set-up the scope sight picture is quick to aquire and there is no chance of getting 'scoped' during recoil.
I installed a ATI monte carlo stock, scope and mount for $115 shipped thru ebay, on a M38. It was a blast. And can be returned to factory stock without modifications) ( had bit of an issue with the mount being sloppy, but could have been fixed with shims, but I sold the gun back to original owner,the part are to go onto the 91/30, but look to be 'illegal' for the Vintage shoot, ;( )

“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2011, 03:28:16 PM »
Ive seen that option, looks horrible, no offense.

That brins the gun cost up to $215 or so, cant a .223 scoped be had for 350 or so?

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2011, 03:50:46 PM »
Ive seen that option, looks horrible, no offense.

That brins the gun cost up to $215 or so, cant a .223 scoped be had for 350 or so?

It's a Mosin! >:D not a beauty queen! :angel1:

I would like to see a $250 scoped .223 put holes thru(not just hit) a silhouette at 300+yards all day long, well until the shoulder gives out. And belch this much fire and smoke and noise after living in a hole for the last 50+ years. The coolness/ bada$$ factor is worth the time and money. IMHO  8)
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline schlumper

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #29 on: March 03, 2011, 11:59:33 AM »
If you want to scope one, I have used the scout scope setup. The mount replaced the rear sight and scope has up to 10" of eye relief, also no need to bend or install bent bolt. I liked it better as with this set-up the scope sight picture is quick to aquire and there is no chance of getting 'scoped' during recoil.
I installed a ATI monte carlo stock, scope and mount for $115 shipped thru ebay, on a M38. It was a blast. And can be returned to factory stock without modifications) ( had bit of an issue with the mount being sloppy, but could have been fixed with shims, but I sold the gun back to original owner,the part are to go onto the 91/30, but look to be 'illegal' for the Vintage shoot, ;( )

Tried that method, but it was shooting too far left for the scope adjustment (might have been able to fix with shims) and couldn't keep it from coming loose on the vertical axis. I've already got a lot of money sunk into the camo ATI stock, which makes it difficult to use the iron sights with hearing protection on, so I need to do the bend the bolt handle and drill and tap scope mount route.

Offline bigdog

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2011, 04:56:18 PM »
Just call your nearest Cabela's store when they go on sale. They will hold one for you for 5 days. Granted, the quality of the rifles have gone done the last two sales.
bigdog

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #31 on: March 11, 2011, 02:54:42 PM »
got put on a list.  Finally got one.  Picked up some high priced sp ammo to test it.  Darn accurate.

Going to order some cheap russian stuff now.