< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Owning a gun with a Felon in the household  (Read 1306 times)

Offline dancindave89

• NFOA Full Member
Owning a gun with a Felon in the household
« on: March 18, 2011, 09:36:16 PM »
I was approached by a guy from work the other day with a question.  He told me he was thinking about buying a gun (nothing specific like handgun or rifle), but said his girlfriend that lives with him is a convicted felon.  I did not ask what the conviction was for, I don't think it matters.  His question was would his girlfriend be in violation with the gun in the house.  I told him I didn't think so as long as she didn't have it in her possession.  But I'm not sure what the law would consider as possession.  So I'm asking this question to the experts here at the NFOA.  Could you someone give me the correct answer in plain english.  Trying to understand some of the laws without a law degree is next to impossible.  Thanks for any help. 

Dave Zwiener-Take a kid hunting, it'll change their life and yours!!!
Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Life Member Buckmasters
Member Varmint Hunters Association
Member NWTF

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
Re: Owning a gun with a Felon in the household
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2011, 02:06:31 AM »
OK, this is a long read but a lot of good info. The simplistic answer is no, he can't have a firearm in the home. Even if it is locked up, how would he be able to prove that she had no way of accessing them? Not only could she be arrested for being in possession of a firearm, he could also be arrested for providing a firearm to a felon.

STATE V. LONG
Filed April 27, 1999. No. A-98-370.

http://www.ncpa.ne.gov/ctopinio/A98-370.htm

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2011, 08:10:35 AM »
OK, this is a long read but a lot of good info. The simplistic answer is no, he can't have a firearm in the home. Even if it is locked up, how would he be able to prove that she had no way of accessing them? Not only could she be arrested for being in possession of a firearm, he could also be arrested for providing a firearm to a felon.

STATE V. LONG
Filed April 27, 1999. No. A-98-370.

http://www.ncpa.ne.gov/ctopinio/A98-370.htm

Not to argue the case or the charges in any way, but it appears he was only charged with possession of the guns that were not locked in the cabinet. He needed a better lawyer in my opinion, but being a convicted felon, he would never be able to afford one anyway.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2011, 03:08:57 PM »
What does a felony have to do with a persons ability to pay a lawyer? I know 3 people personally that have felony convictions and each of them has a net worth of well over $1M. Why would you even bother to post such a ridiculous statement?

He didn't need a better lawyer, he needs to quit breaking the law.