< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Wanting to put a 92 Monaco out of its misery...  (Read 1583 times)

Offline m0par

• NFOA Full Member
Wanting to put a 92 Monaco out of its misery...
« on: February 16, 2011, 11:50:24 AM »
Ok, here's a stupid question...

I have a 92 Monaco that is being removed from service after many years.

Frankly, I want to shoot it just for fun before dragging it away for scrap. Problem is, I have no place to do it.

Maybe donate it to one of Mr. R.A.'s machine gun shoots if I can at least watch?

Battery will be removed, and I can drain all fluids and fuel.

Any ideas?
"Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty."--John Basil Barnhill

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Re: Wanting to put a 92 Monaco out of its misery...
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2011, 12:50:06 PM »
I know a guy who's putting on a shoot in June that might be interested.  His place is down in southern Missouri though.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2011, 02:44:53 PM »
Ok, here's a stupid question...

I have a 92 Monaco that is being removed from service after many years.

Frankly, I want to shoot it just for fun before dragging it away for scrap. Problem is, I have no place to do it.

Maybe donate it to one of Mr. R.A.'s machine gun shoots if I can at least watch?

Battery will be removed, and I can drain all fluids and fuel.

Any ideas?

I'm pretty sure Rob will be set up at the Fremont gun show this weekend.  If you can't make it there, I can mention it to him for you.

BTW, I'm really surprised that the Monaco lasted this long, they were quite the odd conglomeration of parts.  I worked on a few in my former life as a mechanic, didn't like them a whole lot.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 02:47:26 PM by FarmerRick »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline m0par

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2011, 07:29:02 PM »
BTW, I'm really surprised that the Monaco lasted this long, they were quite the odd conglomeration of parts.  I worked on a few in my former life as a mechanic, didn't like them a whole lot.

Yeah. They were quite the kludge. I actually worked as a mechanic at an Eagle dealership back in my former life as well. Had to work on the 1 or 2 Premiers they managed to sell.

I've just been using it as a work car. I put a lot of miles on it when I lived in Omaha and was sent to work in Lincoln every day. I have no idea how many, because the speedo/odometer stopped working long ago. Now the paint's falling off, the pistons rattle when cold, it won't hold oil pressure at idle when it is hot, front suspension and CV joints are worn, etc, etc. Most recently, it intermittently refuses to stay running, and I refuse to put a single dime into it.

I easily doubled its value each time I filled the fuel tank the past couple of years.

Oh, and as far as the Fremont show, I don't know if I'm going or not yet. If you want to ask him if he's interested, feel free.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 07:36:04 PM by m0par »
"Where the people fear the government you have tyranny. Where the government fears the people you have liberty."--John Basil Barnhill

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2011, 07:44:06 PM »
Yea, im sure Rob from Exeter might be interested.  I've seen other videos of him shooting cars with his M60 and other full autos.  he also puts in tannerite in the cars.  i so want to help shoot a car.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2011, 01:52:00 PM »
I had to google it- looks like a rebadged Renault!

Keep us posted because: Chrysler product + explosives + full auto= WIN!!!!
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2011, 03:18:45 PM »
Well, I know the engine and trans were from Renault(the 3.0 liter V6's anyway), not sure about the rest of it.

I'll talk to Rob about it for ya.  I'm pretty sure he'd be interested.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Dark Helmet

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2011, 09:45:47 PM »
I'm pretty sure that's the same basic engine architecture as the DeLorean...

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2011, 09:57:46 PM »
Yeah, ****ty and slow.

Offline m0par

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2011, 05:12:17 PM »
Peugeot, Renault, Volvo (thus its PRV designation), Delorean, et al. And of course, the mighty Monaco and Premier!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PRV_engine

Will make a lot of beverage cans when it gets melted down...

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2011, 06:56:15 PM »
Rob said he'd be happy to use it for a MG shoot, said to just contact him about it. 
Said someone might be able to make a NFOA fund-raiser out of it, if they have the time to come up with something(he doesn't).

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2011, 07:42:33 PM »
Said someone might be able to make a NFOA fund-raiser out of it, if they have the time to come up with something(he doesn't).

Now that's a good idea!

Offline Dark Helmet

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: February 20, 2011, 10:28:30 PM »
sounds like a VERY good idea......

Offline m0par

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2011, 06:34:29 AM »
Hmmm. How would that work? Have a NFOA MG shoot at Robs and add a raffle maybe for a belt's worth on the M60 with one winner getting the first go at it, and then kinda of a free for all, and then a second winner getting last shot at it with tannerite in the car as a finale?

Or just add a fee ($5 or $10 or whatever to go to NFOA) on top of his regular magazine prices for whatever gun the shooter chooses and have a random drawing for first shooter and first tannerite shooter?

Would there be enough interest to make it worthwhile? I'm willing to donate the car. All I ask is that I at least get to watch :)

The plates expire at the end of June. I can probably keep it around until then. I don't think the neighbors will complain. However, if someone does, the car will have to be stored at someone's farm or something until the shoot.

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2011, 11:56:53 PM »
Careful: One of the founders of this board was nearly killed by an old car he was going to "put out of it's misery"...... ain't that right, Jay?
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2011, 10:09:26 AM »
Sounds like an interesting story.....

btw I would be willing to pony up a few $$ for the chance to open up on a car with an M60!
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline Dark Helmet

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2011, 09:45:42 PM »
I'm in for a few magazines...  MOST definitely.