< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Storing Ammo  (Read 857 times)

Offline RickDisney

• Powder Benefactor
Storing Ammo
« on: February 19, 2011, 02:46:36 PM »
After purchasing large amounts of Pistol and Rifle ammo over the last couple of years, does
anyone use a fireproof or ammo safe to store your ammo and what kind?

Thanks
Rick

Offline Bigtony

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Storing Ammo
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 04:15:14 PM »
I use Military ammo cans.  They are cheap and seal tight.  Cheap enough you can buy 1 or multiple for each caliber.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 05:20:12 PM »
I also use Military ammo cans for pistol and rifle cartridges, but 12ga is  boxed and kept in flat cases, ready to go for trap shoots.

Edit to add that CJ's paintball in Lincoln usually has a nice supply for a reasonable cost
« Last Edit: February 19, 2011, 05:21:38 PM by Dan W »
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline nebman

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2011, 05:26:55 PM »
I also like to use surplus ammo cans. They are very reasonable at the surplus store in Bellevue.

Offline Bigtony

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2011, 06:50:22 AM »
Cheapest ammo cans I can find in Licoln are at the Surplus Center on West O in Lincoln.  They usually have a bunch of different sizes and are clean with no rust anywhere.  I need to go and get some more now that I think about it.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2011, 08:42:20 AM »
I used to get mine at Bob' Closeouts, but he ran out. I'll have to check the other places listed.
Always learning something on this place.
I built a ammo locker out of a used gun cabinet (good ol Craigslist) and some Home Depot clearance lumber. (I hope to replace with metal at a later date)  Total investment around $50. Figured if I was worried about moisture, it could be sealed and a dehydrator added.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2011, 09:37:36 AM »
Get a worksite jobbox and cover it to look like a table. You can just toss a couple dessicant packs in it. They are sealed and can have two padlocks holding them shut.