< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: So are the opponents of school carry arrogant or just plain stupid?  (Read 3716 times)

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
I mean really, i see the exact same arguments used by the same people who opposed CCW in Nebraska.  Their predictions haven't come true yet they persist with the same doom n' gloom nattering. 

Do these people REALLY think they have any credibility left?  Why should anyone listen to them?

Arrogance or stupidity, I can't decide which.
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: So are the opponents of school carry arrogant or just plain stupid?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2011, 06:39:58 PM »
Ignorance.  Virtually everyone I've talked to about this proposal (I'm an elementary teacher and CCW permit holder) thinks this bill would allow just any teacher to carry a gun to school... that the weapon would be used for student discipline... and that modern handguns just go off at random times.... that a renegade teacher would shoot students reaching for cell phones... I'm actually embarrassed by the level of "thinking" in my coworkers.  I find my most effective reply has been, "Ok, then I get to pick which Constitutional right of yours to take away..."  That will usually get them to shut-up for a moment enough for me to explain what the bill actually allows, what a person has to go through to get a CCW permit, and that I would not be school security or have a pistol openly on my hip at school.
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2011, 06:47:39 PM »
I feel for ya, I tried to open discussion at work also, and I just end up so frustrated over the ignorance that I just "whatever" and walk away. Folks can be so closed minded, that open debates are just impossible these days.
β€œIt is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2011, 09:04:15 PM »
I note that they all feel it is perfectly acceptable to be protected by armed police in the schools, all the while shouting  how bad it is to have a weapon in a school. 

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline HuskerXDM

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 06:40:55 AM »
I've actually had two discussions about this with students in my class.  I find 5th graders to be more thoughtful in their discussion than all but one of the adults I've talked to about this.  Obviously, and for the record, I did not impose my viewpoint on the kids that asked about the bill, I just asked them questions to think about.  For example one girl said there shouldn't be any guns anywhere.  I responded, "Do you think criminals would obey a law like that?"   At least they listened to my questions and understood there was another viewpoint.  I also used it as an opportunity for a little history lesson on the founding of our country.  I enjoyed those couple of conversations more than most lessons I teach.

Offline sparky0068

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 06:43:06 AM »
I feel for ya, I tried to open discussion at work also, and I just end up so frustrated over the ignorance that I just "whatever" and walk away. Folks can be so closed minded, that open debates are just impossible these days.

I believe we had a discussion about this such thing and we both had the same ideas.
KD0LKT

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 10:44:25 AM »
Fear ... largely fear of the unknown.

Offline smkndave

• Forum Member
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2011, 02:45:48 PM »
I thought I would give my 2 cents on this issue. I have mixed feelings on this, I feel anyone who has a permit to carry should be able to carry anywhere not just teachers. My concern is who will take the classes and who will actually carry, I dont feel that everyone who takes the classes to carry are truly prepared to pull the trigger if the need would arise and there for give the person breaking that law another firearm to continue with what the set out to do.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2011, 05:26:51 PM »
I dont feel that everyone who takes the classes to carry are truly prepared to pull the trigger if the need would arise and there for give the person breaking that law another firearm to continue with what the set out to do.

So, you don't think that everyone should be able to concealed carry if they want to?  Should we have some sort of "readiness test" to see if people will actually pull the trigger?  I'm not sure I understand your problem.

Of course there are some people who may not actually be able to go through with it.  Does this mean they somehow lose the right to be prepared on the chance that they could?

And what does this have to do with teachers carrying?  Since "some people" (a group rather undefined) might not be able to pull the trigger, no teacher should be able to continue to carry effective tools for self-defense?

I'm not trying to be snarky, here---I just really don't understand how this relates to the topic of teachers able to continue carrying while on school grounds.  It sounds as if you have a problem with the topic of concealed carry in the first place, which is something else entirely.
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline bugsdad

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2011, 02:17:08 PM »
 When this bill was first introduced I was a little bit on the fence on wether I thought it was a good idea or not. So before I gave my opinion I did some research and talked with some administrators I know and did some reading. This is the conclusion I have come to on the topic. I am in support of this bill. What really is the differece between an average citizen that has taken the 1 or 2 day class and shot a 30 round qualification course, carring his or her firearm in the Westgate mall or Walmart or a teacher that has taken the same course and met the same requirments carrying their firearm at school. 

Now could a school administration or  school board require that their staff that want to carry take some kind of refresher training annually or some form of advanced training before they can carry on the school grounds, I dont think that is unreasonalbe and if a teacher or any person, for that matter, who wants to carry a firearm for protection should actively seek out advanced training and practice drills as regular as possible anyway.

The school administrators that I have talked to are against having their staff carry a firearm. They would rather have police officers or a private security officer ( who are mostly retired cops anyway) be the only ones on the property that are armed. Granted they are going to have a much higher level of training and a little better odds of hopefully ending a situation peacefully, however if a student, or disgruntled employee or just a plain old maniac , is hellbent on shooting the place up, then talking isn't going to do a lot of good.

So I guess my point is, where is the differece between a teacher carry at school and a average citizen carrying on the street? I can't see any. Can someone enlighten me?

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2011, 03:17:22 PM »
So I guess my point is, where is the differece between a teacher carry at school and a average citizen carrying on the street? I can't see any. Can someone enlighten me?

I would say that it would depend on what you think the role of an armed teacher is.

I am of the opinion (some will disagree) that armed staff would have a responsibility to provide security for themselves and the students. The training requirements should be of a higher standard than what is required for a CCW because of the added responsibility.

If you believe that the staff has no obligation to defend anyone but themselves then your right. There is absolutely no difference between them and the average citizen.

And if that is the case why are Teachers so special? Why would we support a law that singles them out for CCW on school grounds? Every CCW holder should have that right. Im sure there are plenty of Doctors, pizza delivery drivers, mechanics, city workers etc.. who would like to carry at their place of employment but are restricted also.

- Shawn

"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline HuskerXDM

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2011, 06:11:38 PM »
And if that is the case why are Teachers so special? Why would we support a law that singles them out for CCW on school grounds? Every CCW holder should have that right. Im sure there are plenty of Doctors, pizza delivery drivers, mechanics, city workers etc.. who would like to carry at their place of employment but are restricted also.

I guess my response to this would be:  anywhere we can recover our Constitutional rights, we should.  I totally agree it should be the same for everyone, but since it's not, we fight the battles as they come up. 

I'm a teacher, and just want CCW for myself.  However, if someone wanted me to get further training, I would do it because work is the only place I regularly go and can't defend myself.

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2011, 06:58:58 PM »
So teachers that would want to conceal carry in school have never held a gun? I have an uncle that was a teacher and has been around guns all his life. He is totally for this. Saying that teachers don't have the experience needed may just not be true, and they are probably smart enough to know that. If they would like some situational training on top of what they know, that would be great, and how many do you think would turn it down? I would love to see that type of training for teachers done at no cost to them too. Let the teachers decide what's right for them, I'm all for them having all of the rights owed them.

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2011, 08:23:55 PM »
I have an uncle that was a teacher and has been around guns all his life. 

I have to chuckle everytime I hear this cause Im not sure what it is supposed to mean. I ve been around food my whole life, doesnt mean I know how to cook  :)

Saying that teachers don't have the experience needed may just not be true, and they are probably smart enough to know that.

Unless they have had active shooter training or were involved in a previous career that involved that type of training how would they?  Its certainly not rocket science but its not intuitive either.

And that brings us back to what do you think they are responsible for? Themselves and the students or just themselves.

- Shawn

"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline HuskerXDM

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2011, 08:52:22 PM »
Well let's confine the debate to this bill then.  We would be responsible for ourselves. 

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2011, 08:55:28 AM »
Even SCOTUS has determined the police are under no legal obligation to protect the public.....

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2011, 09:34:31 AM »
I think that arming teachers would be more of a deterrent than anything else. The possibility of being stopped makes it a lot less appealing.

I'm glad you get a chuckle Shawn, that shows a lot on your end too.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2011, 08:52:03 PM »
Regarding what sjwsti thinks about training for teachers in school, and whether they possibly have it or not:

Unless they have had active shooter training or were involved in a previous career that involved that type of training how would they?  Its certainly not rocket science but its not intuitive either.

And that brings us back to what do you think they are responsible for? Themselves and the students or just themselves.

You do realize the logical problem with your belief, right?  A teacher in school has _exactly_ the same level of responsibility to protect the students in the school whether they are armed or not---which is very similar, in many ways, to what any citizen has anywhere else---that is, there is no legal requirement if there is a danger to themselves inherent in action.

The "no legal requirement" is similar, as some have mentioned, to police officers and their duty to the public.

Whether there is a moral requirement is something different.  And whether or not a teachers chooses to act even in the face of said danger is something different.  But there is no legal requirement.

And I'll note that in the case of an active shooter, there is a significant difference between a teacher defending a room full of children, and an officer who enters the school to stop the shooting.

After all, a LEO active shooter response is rather significantly different than a barricaded defensive position, now isn't it? 

(Oh---and I _have_ practiced active shooter scenarios in a professional training atmosphere.  Among other things.  And yet---none of those in any way have anything to do with my responsibilities as a teacher if I happen to be armed in my classroom, with my students, in the case of an active shooter in the school.)

There seems to be a strong idea here that allowing teachers to do at school exactly what they do everywhere else somehow turns them into an armed security force. 

This is not true.  It is not the point of the bill, and it is not at all what is proposed.  And yet, we hear commentary from people about how suddenly a different level of training, or responsibility, etc, is somehow required.

An armed citizen carries tools to defend themselves, and (by their choice, given different situations) others.  This bill allows certain armed citizens one more place in which they may do this, under the exact same rules (and laws) as anywhere else.

How in the world does this correspond to any other level of responsibility or training?

By the way---if your answer is "if they are armed, they should be MORE responsible!" then you really need to think about what you mean.  Are you saying teachers aren't responsible enough regarding their student's well-being?  Or are you saying that because they carry a gun, now they have additional responsibilities somehow? 

The bill is simple.  It doesn't created an armed educational-faculty security force.  It does not create an in-school policing force, nor does it create a "special team" to react against active shooters. 

It allows a certain class of people to defend themselves and others as they choose in school, just as they would outside.

How is this a problem? 

And yes, it would be nice if everyone who is legal to CCW could do this.  But this isn't going to happen in the near future.  So why don't we give it a shot so that at least _someone_ is around if the worst occurs?

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2011, 09:00:55 PM »
The school administrators that I have talked to are against having their staff carry a firearm. They would rather have police officers or a private security officer ( who are mostly retired cops anyway) be the only ones on the property that are armed. Granted they are going to have a much higher level of training and a little better odds of hopefully ending a situation peacefully, however if a student, or disgruntled employee or just a plain old maniac , is hellbent on shooting the place up, then talking isn't going to do a lot of good.

This would surprise me greatly, actually.  (The part in italics.)

It is true that there are plenty of officers who are highly trained, both in de-escalation techniques, and handgun skills.  This, however, doesn't change the fact that by far the majority of police officers are not.  (And especially not highly trained in both.)

This is not a dig at police officers, by the way.  I've worked with a lot of LEOs, and I respect both the people who choose that career, and what they try to do.  This doesn't change the fact that many police officers are not skilled with firearms, nor are they conversant with the physical and verbal actions that result in the de-escalation of a situation. 

Teachers, on the other hand, get daily practice at de-escalation techniques.  :)  (I know, I know, it is different, and I'm kidding about this part---but only a little.  Teachers HAVE to be good at defusing tension, adjusting moods, and directing attention and conversation.) 

And some are pretty good shots, too.

But again---this bill isn't about teachers being a security force, so I think this point isn't relevant anyway.  :)

Offline HuskerXDM

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2011, 11:12:06 PM »
Yeah, what he said