< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: So are the opponents of school carry arrogant or just plain stupid?  (Read 3714 times)

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
Re: So are the opponents of school carry arrogant or just plain stupid?
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2011, 11:18:12 PM »
It allows a certain class of people to defend themselves and others as they choose in school, just as they would outside.

Thats the problem. Only extending the right to carry to "certain classes of people" isnt something I can get too excited about.

Cant argue with much else that you have said.

Its absolutely a moral issue not a legal one. Im well aware that there is no law that requires you to put yourself at risk for anyone else.

Never said teachers should form into teams, move to the sound of gunfire and engage an armed assailant. But the issue of how to properly defend your classroom during a lockdown should be something pre-planned and prepared for. Again, not rocket science, but it is an added responsibility that isnt covered in a CCW class.

- Shawn
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2011, 09:04:57 AM »
I know there are still teachers that care, but with the accountibilty policies in place these days, I would have to wonder if today's school faculty/staff would step-up when/ if the situation arose.
    Just recently my daughter stepped on a nail in the snow at the school just before lunch. As the school could not reach her mom or step-dad, I was called and drove from Lincoln to west Omaha to pick her up, the issue I had was that the school nurse wasn't there, and they refused to pull out the nail and soak the wound. I even asked if I could authorize someone to take her to the doctor's office just down the road and I would meet them there. NO! Needles to say, my daughter spent almost 2 hours (school and doctors office) with a nail in the heel of her foot because of 'policy'?   ???
Then, just yesterday, one of my son's classmates has an epileptic siezure. Her mom (who I know) was notified after 2min that they had called EMT. By the time she got there they had arrived and luckily she came around. Scary thing was, even with the educating her mom has tried to give the school, poor little girl's body was shut down for at least 5 minutes and NO CPR was attempted.   :'(  ???  (Hell, I work in a factory, and I'm trained as a 1st responder in first aid, CPR, and AEDs, including seizure victims).
  I hate to bash teachers,etc.  but some issues of late I have seen or been involved with, I'm not sure the schools would care to defend themselves/ others unless (like all this testing they do) it got them more money from the state.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2011, 11:00:06 AM »
The back and forth has been entertaining but purely acedemic I believe.

NE Bull is right. By and large your talking about a group of people who tend to be very liberal and left thinking. Obviously not all as we have several educators in this forum who are pro gun and pro CCW.

This bills chances of becoming Law are slim to none. And if it did, having a provision that each school distict would have to aprove it, what school board would allow it?

I would like an honest opinion from one of the educators following this. If this bill became law how many teachers at your place of employment would actually carry on a daily basis? Dont get me wrong, just because a small number of people would carry doesnt mean its not important for those that want to, just curious is all.

- Shawn
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2011, 06:52:43 PM »
Shawn,
I work at a building with roughly 75 staff members that would be included in your hypothetical.  I know that three of us would carry.

The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2011, 09:43:38 AM »
Shawn said:
NE Bull is right. By and large your talking about a group of people who tend to be very liberal and left thinking. Obviously not all as we have several educators in this forum who are pro gun and pro CCW.

This bills chances of becoming Law are slim to none. And if it did, having a provision that each school distict would have to aprove it, what school board would allow it?

I would like an honest opinion from one of the educators following this. If this bill became law how many teachers at your place of employment would actually carry on a daily basis? 

I think the chance of this bill becoming law at this time is zero.   :P  And I can't think of any school board I know that would approve it for their school district.

I see this comment from many people all the time:  "By and large your talking about a group of people who tend to be very liberal and left thinking."   ---and one of these days I'd like to see someone actually state that from a position of knowledge, i.e. based on a study, or actual statistics.  I'm not arguing it, I'd just like to know to what extent it is actually true.  I have a lot of liberal coworkers.  I also have a lot of conservative coworkers.   So I'm curious...

I can't answer your question for my entire school district as I spend almost no time in any of the other schools, but in my particular building (out of approximately 65-70 staff members) I'd say maybe ----two.

At least one, though.  :)
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2011, 10:55:50 AM »
Hats off to the few of you who are commited. Sounds like a lonely club though.

I guess Ive never heard of an actual study done that would put a number on how many liberal vs. conservative teachers there are. But if you look to the types of policys put in place by most administrations, at that level at least, it seems to lean more liberal.

I think to pass a bill like this you have to sell it. You have to convince the average parent that they should support it. I think you convince them that you are more concerned with their childs safety than your own. You are the last line of defense during a lockdown and the only thing standing between their child and certain death. And your not satisfied with the states minimum requirement for obtaining a CCW permit, you will obtain extra training that directly addresses what could happen at your school.

How did the laws get changed to allow comercial pilots to carry on planes?
We needed someone armed in the cockpit to be that last line of defense. The training standards are very high and are no joke. The pilots that complete the training and earn the ability to carry onboard are well prepared. I think a bill like that would have more of a chance of actually passing. 

- Shawn

www.88tactical.com

Offline HuskerXDM

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2011, 11:14:35 AM »
NE Bull:  You aren't bashing teachers, you are bashing medical policies... feel free to bash away.  In our school health office, they refuse to pull splinters (covering them with band-aids instead) and allow children with nits (lice eggs) to remain in school until there are live lice visible. 

Please keep in mind that every asinine policy you EVER run into at a school is because 1) it happened before and the school got sued or 2) a lawyer told the school they could get sued over it.

Shawn:  I don't know about the liberal/conservative count either.  However, keep in mind that school employees serve at will of the local school boards.  It is the board that has the power to approve/dissolve all contracts with teachers.  Therefore, you will not find many teachers that will step forward and give their true opinions about issues dealing with schools.  More often, many teachers will either remain silent on issues (and appear to be uncaring) or will repeat the 'official' policy of the school or union so there are no repercussions. 

You are unlikely to hear what teachers are really thinking on most issues.  Administrators and unions?  Now that's a different story (and I'm in the union, so I can say that).

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2011, 05:28:23 PM »
I guess Ive never heard of an actual study done that would put a number on how many liberal vs. conservative teachers there are. But if you look to the types of policys put in place by most administrations, at that level at least, it seems to lean more liberal.

There is a significant difference between what administrations say, and what teachers think.  As HuskerXDM said, teachers don't often say what they actually think---unsurprisingly, telling admin people what you really think doesn't normally work real well, particularly if admin decisions are based on emotion and lack of knowledge.

I'm not saying schools are bastions of conservatism, by any means.  But what admin people say, what high school teachers say (or don't, normally), and what college professors pontificate about are often very different. 

That's why I'm still interested in an actual study on this sort of thing.  It does happen---
http://www.independent.org/pdf/tir/tir_11_01_03_klein.pdf is an example.

I think to pass a bill like this you have to sell it. You have to convince the average parent that they should support it. I think you convince them that you are more concerned with their childs safety than your own. You are the last line of defense during a lockdown and the only thing standing between their child and certain death. And your not satisfied with the states minimum requirement for obtaining a CCW permit, you will obtain extra training that directly addresses what could happen at your school.

How did the laws get changed to allow comercial pilots to carry on planes?
We needed someone armed in the cockpit to be that last line of defense. The training standards are very high and are no joke. The pilots that complete the training and earn the ability to carry onboard are well prepared. I think a bill like that would have more of a chance of actually passing.

I differ in opinion in terms of "high standards" and "well prepared", but that is a topic for another day.  (I'm not saying the training isn't adequate.)

I do agree that to have any chance of passing, this NE bill would have to be seriously "sold" to the public, and to do so, the people doing the "selling" would have to twist its meaning far beyond what the bill actually says to get people to start thinking instead of immediately blathering "I don't want guns near my children!"

The amusing thing is that of what you said, only the last sentence isn't true for every teacher who would carry in a school, given permission.  In the case of an active shooter, a teacher does think of the students before themselves.  The teacher would be the only thing standing between the students and death, and would obviously be the last line of defense.

As for extra training---well, that rather depends.  Given an active shooter in the school, students in my room would move to the side away from the doors, they would be down in concealment behind my lab tables, and my door would be locked.  Given that situation, there really isn't a whole lot of extra training needed.  Anyone coming in would have to make it very clear that they were up to no good just to get through the door.  (My walls are brick on four sides, by the way.)

I'm aware that other situations may occur.  However, this doesn't change the fact that as Shawn said we aren't talking rocket science here.  Barricaded defense in a room is a straightforward proposition.

Now, this is separate from whether or not I'd get extra training---I like going to training classes.  (For example, I've been to one of yours, Shawn.  :) ) Whether the class covers things I already know, or things that are new to me, I like having extra ideas to think about, extra drills to practice, and extra chances to hear what people are both currently thinking, and currently teaching regarding self-defense. 

However, none of this is required for this situation---and it amuses me to hear people (in general) say that teachers need more training for this.  ("Need" being the operative word.) 

Let's see:  active shooter in the school.  Choice is a 1) armed teacher with extra training, 2) an armed teacher with basic training, or 3) unarmed victims.  Of course we'd pick #1, given that choice---but why in the world do people seem to think that #2 isn't any better than #3? 

C'mon, folks.  People carry in public in the midst of crowds of people they don't know, in areas they are not familiar with, and are expected to handle it just fine.  And they do.

Teachers, on the other hand, have less-crowded situations wherein they easily recognize the people around them, know their area and surroundings, and where it will be obvious if someone is a bad guy.  Where did this "oh, they must have more training!" stuff come from?   

Regarding medical policies, among other school policies---as HuskerXDM said, remember that the school board and the administration makes the rules.  Teachers don't get asked what they think. 
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2011, 05:48:49 PM »
Let's see:  active shooter in the school.  Choice is a 1) armed teacher with extra training, 2) an armed teacher with basic training, or 3) unarmed victims.  Of course we'd pick #1, given that choice---but why in the world do people seem to think that #2 isn't any better than #3? 

C'mon, folks.  People carry in public in the midst of crowds of people they don't know, in areas they are not familiar with, and are expected to handle it just fine.  And they do.

Teachers, on the other hand, have less-crowded situations wherein they easily recognize the people around them, know their area and surroundings, and where it will be obvious if someone is a bad guy.  Where did this "oh, they must have more training!" stuff come from?   

That's one of the best arguments for school carry I've ever seen.

Offline HuskerXDM

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2011, 06:12:42 PM »
  Teachers don't get asked what they think. 

Well, we kinda do... but it's like this:  "We think this would be ridiculous!  Don't you?"