< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: I have firearm ADD  (Read 2275 times)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
I have firearm ADD
« on: February 24, 2011, 08:17:10 PM »
Most people tend to get into a specific type of firearm.  There are shotgun guys, benchrest guys, people who shoot High Power, handgun guys, people who have Black Rifle Disease, etc.  I have a real problem.  I like every single gun I have ever touched, seen on the internet, or glimpsed on a rack in the gun shop.

The problem is, just when I'm really getting into a particular type of gun, I see something new and shiny and I get distracted again.  I can barely finish a project gun before I'm scheming about how to buy my next toy.  Right now under construction I have a custom Martini being built at a gunsmith, an SBR AR15 project underway, another rifle in pieces in my basement, and I just ordered a fixer-upper antique .577 Snider.  And I'm still thinking I need a .22 upper with a suppressor, a Kentucky Long Rifle kit, a Contender pistol, a dedicated DCM upper, an all original Martini Henry complete with Victorian era British uniform (so I can turn over supply wagons in my front yard and re-enact the battle of Rourke's Drift), an M1A, a Garand, an FAL, an AK of some kind, another Lee-Enfield, a .50 BMG, a Ruger GP100, a S&W model 29, a 1911, a Browning Buckmark to replace the one I stupidly traded off 10 years ago, another 870, and a nice over/under shotgun.  Plus I'm trying to convince the wife that I need something full auto.  I think I need psychiatric help.  Anyone else have this problem?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2011, 08:23:17 PM by bkoenig »

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Re: I have firearm ADD
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2011, 08:29:50 PM »
Hmmm....   and here I thought I was the only one.

Thanks, now I can tell my wife that it's normal to be like that.  ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 06:02:51 AM by FarmerRick »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2011, 08:30:59 PM »
you must retired.  if so, its normal.  i know guys who do the same things with guns, rc airplanes, plants.

you earned it, enjoy!  I hope withh social security going away i can do the apsame someday.

a small hint,  buy some of us young guys something,  ss and modern taxes hurt us more these days, on top of a crappy economy :)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2011, 09:03:50 PM »
you must retired.  if so, its normal.  i know guys who do the same things with guns, rc airplanes, plants.

you earned it, enjoy!  I hope withh social security going away i can do the apsame someday.

a small hint,  buy some of us young guys something,  ss and modern taxes hurt us more these days, on top of a crappy economy :)

I'm 35.  ::)

You mean it's going to get WORSE?

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2011, 09:28:54 PM »
lol im 33,  you must be something right becuase I got a house, a 1998 car, 3 kids and I had to put xd on layaway.  Then I put a glock on layaway.

whats your secret becuase I make over 60k. 

Offline Dark Helmet

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2011, 09:40:44 PM »
32 and have to limit myself to 1 new gun a year...  otherwise I get REALLY stupid.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2011, 09:47:22 PM »
lol im 33,  you must be something right becuase I got a house, a 1998 car, 3 kids and I had to put xd on layaway.  Then I put a glock on layaway.

whats your secret becuase I make over 60k. 

Only 1 kid

;D

There's also a reason I have so many projects going at once.....I don't have the money to finish any of them!

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2011, 09:50:05 PM »
Just wait guys.! I am 54 and feel like a " kid in a candy store ".

As Tim the Toolman said "More Power"

Enjoy while you can.
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2011, 09:51:10 PM »
Speaking from my end of the life span spectrum,

The Good News for All You Kiddos is............

It Never Goes Away.

There's Nothing You Can Do About It.

You Can't Get Over It.

It's Terminal.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2011, 10:02:14 PM »
my wife stays home too, prolly doesnt help.  But in 5 years whenshe resumes her hr career I can buy more Gun$$$

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2011, 10:52:30 PM »
im 28 and i have gotten the disease as well.... except i don't like building guns, i just want to own them all....  well at least the cool ones.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2011, 11:06:04 PM »
Yep, the disease has struck this household also. I have mil surp rifles and pistols, wheels guns and lever guns, pump/bolt/single shotguns, modern handguns, a wide array of .22s (for the children, of course) with no less than 3 on the immediate 'need' list. ;)
Heck I've got 2 I bought this winter, and have yet to put a round thru, but the 870 looks pretty in wood furniture.
I'm truly afraid to start in on the tinkertoy ARs! 8)
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2011, 06:08:55 AM »
You know you have it bad when you can't even pass up a 20gauge bolt-action shotgun at the gun show for $60, just because you don't have one and it's kinda neat even though you don't need it. 

After having it for 3 or 4 years of not shooting it... well, anyone need a cheap shotgun?   :-\
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2011, 08:31:49 AM »

You know you have it bad when you can't even pass up a 20gauge bolt-action shotgun at the gun show for $60, just because you don't have one and it's kinda neat even though you don't need it. 

After having it for 3 or 4 years of not shooting it... well, anyone need a cheap shotgun?   :-\

;D  Stevens? Well... 'cause I got lil' sister in .410, and.... and... well....hmm..  let me come up with a reason and I'll get back to you :angel1:
« Last Edit: February 25, 2011, 08:33:01 AM by NE Bull »
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2011, 09:09:38 AM »

;D  Stevens? Well... 'cause I got lil' sister in .410, and.... and... well....hmm..  let me come up with a reason and I'll get back to you :angel1:

Yeah, I have a .410 version too.  Haven't shot that one either.  ::)

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2011, 11:00:17 AM »
it's kinda neat even though you don't need it. 

blasphemy!!!  ive never heard of such a thing!!
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Wilson

• NFOA Full Member
  • Not as lean...Not as mean...Still a Marine!
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2011, 11:29:59 AM »
One thing about being in the ministry...I can't afford to have the disease.  ::)

On our anniversary though, we woke up and I asked my wife, "What do ya think we should do today?"  Her response was quick, "Let's go buy you that gun (Kahr PM40) and me a new table set!"  Best anniversary ever!   ;D

I told her it wasn't that easy...then emailed Rod Moeller and told him to order it for me! Couple of days later and a great price....Oh happy day!

We ARE HAPPILY MARRIED so you can't have her!   :o

Wilson

Offline shaggy853

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2011, 01:31:58 PM »
im 25, i started buying guns a little over a year ago and im up to 13.  mostly glocks/XDs but a couple shotguns, AR, AK, etc.

Offline Fritz

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2011, 02:07:14 PM »
Gun Junkies! All of you!  Me too:-)  I'm retired but still work for my fix.  Guns and Ammo...........

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2011, 03:23:46 PM »
I started on the gun buying spree when I was 20 and stationed overseas, then took a 25 year break to get married and attempt to support a family (6 kids).  Now I'm back on it again, just ordered a new rifle from Rod. 

Oh boy!

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX