< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Legality Issue - Employee Agreement Vs NE Law  (Read 3301 times)

Offline rluening

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Legality Issue - Employee Agreement Vs NE Law
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2011, 04:12:41 PM »
So taking grandma do dinner and getting stopped for speeding will put granny in jail for a concealed weapons charge? Guess there are some things that either need to be changed or dropped. Looks like it was done in 1977, and revised in 1991, may be a little out of date.

If the gun's in the glove compartment or under the seat - perhaps. As long as it's holstered on your person I don't think there shouldn't be an issue.

/rl

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2011, 05:05:46 PM »
Don't think it will stick now that we have the conceal law, I would hate to be the cop that tried it because the defense would be legal conceal. But, I've been wrong before.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2011, 06:55:53 AM »
The way I understand it:

If there is a concealed weapon in the car(and not on a person) and nobody claims it, it belongs to everyone in the car, and all are(or can be) charged with possession of concealed weapon.

If there is a concealed weapon in the car and one person claims it, it belongs to that person
Now, if that person has a CCW permit, I can't imagine why anyone would be charged with possession of a concealed weapon.

I am also NOT an attorney.  :angel1:
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2011, 09:05:21 AM »
Ummm, Can I ask a dumb question?

If carrying is that important to you, why did you not ask the specific question prior to being hired?  You indicate that you will be in a company truck, why not ask the question of being to carry and etc BEFORE you accept the job?

Not trying to stir the pot, just asking what I think would be a logical question during the intereview process.

66bigblock

First off, you don't ask questions like that in Omaha. Many people here are so afraid of guns that they'll freak out if you ask them something like that.

I'm not using a company truck, it is completely my personally owned vehicle that I'm talking about. I never have or likely will drive a company-owned vehicle.

But yeah, that was the precedent I was told about when I took my CCW class and the reason why I don't carry to work. It isn't like an end-all problem for me, just bothers me a little. I'll deal.

Thanks for the insight, everyone.

On a side note: I suppose I could just keep something in the trunk...

I'm just glad that the employee agreement doesn't override law. Thinking about it now, I realize it was a stupid thought but at the time it sounded logical that it might. Weird, eh?

Offline Eagle1

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2011, 10:34:19 AM »
Sean, would it be an option for you to purchase a tethered lock box that would fit under your set so somewhere on the drivers side of your vehicle. Thus if you where ever pulled over with a co-worker in the car the firearm would be secure and under your control (key to box on you). As long as LEO has no reason to drag you to the curb and cuff you the passenger would be no wiser.
Or just obey all traffic laws. (option)
USN 83-87, American Legion

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2011, 10:50:33 AM »
Do not tell any other employees, ever  theyll use it against you ehen convenient, if only to gain visibility.

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2011, 10:41:47 AM »
Sean, would it be an option for you to purchase a tethered lock box that would fit under your set so somewhere on the drivers side of your vehicle. Thus if you where ever pulled over with a co-worker in the car the firearm would be secure and under your control (key to box on you). As long as LEO has no reason to drag you to the curb and cuff you the passenger would be no wiser.
Or just obey all traffic laws. (option)

Eagle1,

I was under the impression that if you have any official contact with a "peace officer" (includes LEO), you are required by law to inform him or her that you have a concealed handgun permit and are currently concealing. I believe official contact covers being pulled over for a traffic violation.

I also, of course, obey all traffic laws. But we all make mistakes and it would be foolish for me to pretend I will never make a mistake. That said, I haven't gotten a ticket in over 5 years, but you never know when you'll get caught doing something you thought was ok. A big one in Omaha is U-Turns. Some of those No-U-Turn signs are not that obvious, at least in my opinion.

Offline tufftrav

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2011, 10:21:48 PM »
My company has the same policies as the rest of you described. My way around the issue was to park on the street adjacent to my building. As long as I was on public property my company wouldn't have cause to fire me for my infraction. And i still get to bring my gun with me. 

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2011, 10:23:39 PM »
A company doesn't have to have "cause" to fire you in Nebraska

Offline tufftrav

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2011, 10:25:48 PM »
Agreed as Nebraska is an at will state. Just making a point.

Offline rluening

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #30 on: February 28, 2011, 11:09:08 PM »
We have strict firearms policies where I work, too. Mostly I need to be willing to share with my boss. It's rather onerous , but he usually pays for ammo and range time, so I comply.

/rl