< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: 1864 Snider rifle project  (Read 9390 times)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: 1864 Snider rifle project
« Reply #40 on: June 14, 2011, 05:35:42 PM »
Yes it is, Colour Sergeant Bourne.

One of the best movies of all time.  Interestingly enough, I've read that many of the Zulu at Isandlwana and Rourke's Drift were armed with old Sniders.  The British of course were armed with Martini-Henry rifles which had replaced the Snider in front line service.  Yes, I'm a history geek.  That's why I love these old rifles.

Offline Ghost

• Steel Benefactor
  • NRA Life Member - 1972
« Reply #41 on: June 14, 2011, 10:40:29 PM »
Yes, a great movie about a great battle.  The Zulu at Rorke's Drift also had Martinis they took at the massacre at Isandlwana.  I'm a history geek too.

Good luck with the Martini-Henry.  Keep us posted on your progress.  When you get done, you may want one of these:

http://www.ima-usa.com/british-victorian-colonial-pith-helmet-white-m-1871.html

Ghost

A well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free State......George Mason

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #42 on: June 15, 2011, 10:35:02 PM »
I found something interesting last night as I was loading up some cartridges.  Apparently my mould is marked wrong - it says it's a .585 diameter / 515 grain mould, but I decided to throw a bullet on the scale and find out.  Turns out it's 570 grains  :o

I also have a mould from the same manufacturer that's marked as 600 grains, but I haven't used it yet since it's a slightly smaller diameter (.582).  I wonder how heavy of a bullet that would throw???  Eventually I'll try the other moulds to see which one shoots best.  I could even try paper patching some one the smaller diameter bullets.  In fact, I need to learn how to paper patch before I shoot the Martini, because I already have a .457 mould for my Sharps, and Martini's typically slug out at .468.  That would let me shoot the same bullet in the .577/450 Martini and 45-70 Sharps.  I need to win the lottery so I can retire and just spend all my time reloading.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2011, 10:39:00 PM by bkoenig »