< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Ruger 10/22 Hi-Cap Magazine  (Read 1888 times)

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Ruger 10/22 Hi-Cap Magazine
« on: April 06, 2011, 05:31:16 PM »
Anybody got a suggestion for a reliable hi-cap mag for a Ruger 10/22??

I bought a Shooter's Ridge 25-round clear plastic see-thru magazine which did an absolutely wonderful job of jamming up the .22 cartridges so that they wouldn't feed properly.   At all.

So........I'd like to try again with a different brand.    But am hesitant to do so, because it just might be deja vu all over again.   Then I'd probably end up with as many 10/22 magazines as I have handgun holsters.   And no more drawer space.

Your comments, thoughts, suggestions, and/or experiences are invited.

sfg
« Last Edit: April 06, 2011, 05:35:16 PM by SemperFiGuy »
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Ruger 10/22 Hi-Cap Magazine
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2011, 06:05:44 PM »
I gave up on aftermarket mags for the 10/22.  The factory ones just work.

I have heard the Butler Creek Steel Lip magazines work ok.

Offline altheman2

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2011, 06:16:16 PM »
My Butler Creek Mag works ok but Ram-Line with CCI HV ammo works great in my 10/22

Offline schlumper

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 05:37:16 AM »
My Butler Creek hot lips (plastic) ones work flawlessly now after I broke them in. (about 300 rounds each)
My Black Dog drum can't go 4 rounds without a jam.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2011, 11:56:32 AM »
Well, based on what I'm seeing here on this forum, it may be worth trying a Butler Creek and/or a Ramline.    The Shooters Ridge mags sure are a bust.

(And I'm long a CCI Stinger fan, from the day they hit the market.    Wicked Little Suckers, they are.    Their acid test is a big fat fox squirrel up in the top of a cottonwood tree.   Turns 'em over into a U-shape with their tails trailing as they float down.   And they don't scamper off when they hit the ground.)

So---When I try the Butler Creek and the Ramline, feedback on the results will be posted.

Thanks for the information.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Clint

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2011, 04:32:50 PM »
Did you try it with regular round nose ammo? I remember trying some higher velocity rounds in an extended magazine with a different shaped bullet and it would hang up and not feed at all. Never messed with the magazine after that.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2011, 09:34:18 PM »
Clint........

Yup.......Used regular round nose ammo in the Shooters Ridge magazines.   Good  Ol' Remington .22 Hi-velocity standard plinking stuff.    [Wasn't gonna let my grandkids shoot those expensive Stingers at targets and into creek beds.]

And.......Never even tried the Stingers in the Shooters Ridge.   Instead, used the Ruger 10/22 10-round factory mags for Stingers.    Figgered if the Remington stuff wouldn't work in the Shooters Ridge, the Stingers wouldn't work, even moreso.   It's a real aggravation to dig out the unfired rounds when they won't cycle in the hi-cap mag.

Everything works in the Ruger factory mags.    "Bout as reliable as a Glock.

Now I gotta go to Cabelas for the Butler Creek or Ramline.    Hope I can stick to only buying the magazines and not a shopping cart full of other goodies.

sfg

Offline Clint

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2011, 10:45:25 PM »
Yeah, seems like it's tough to try and beat the factory equipment. Always seems kind of expensive, however. Excellent little guns though, huh?

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2011, 08:48:39 AM »
There's a reason those Shooter's Ridge mags were $8.99 each at the guns shows for the last few years.
Well, at least they have a Lifetime Warranty... if they don't work you can keep sending them back and they will send you a new one. 
Hey, someone needs to keep the USPS in business, don't they?   ;D
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2011, 09:44:55 AM »
after a 1000 rnds, the butler creek steel lipped 25 rnd mags still worked great for me.  Hope you didn't spend too much money at the candy store, err, cabelas.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2011, 06:54:08 AM »
Gettin' close to American 180 capability.

sfg