< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: AK Questions  (Read 844 times)

Offline bubba803

• NFOA Full Member
AK Questions
« on: March 14, 2011, 08:19:58 AM »
I have some questions for the AK gurus here.  I don't know much about them other than I want one.  Not looking for something fancy or expensive.  I just want one that's reliable.  Which ones should I be looking for?  Are there any that I should totally avoid?  I would want to put on poly stock, grips etc.  Are some easier to work on than others?  Also, I'm not against ordering one online but I would really like to be able to look it over before I buy one.  Any suggestions on places in the Omaha area that carry them?    Thanks.
I came into this world kicking, screaming and covered in someone else's blood;  I plan on leaving it the same way!

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: AK Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2011, 09:35:27 AM »
Hi Mr. B
The AK market right now is a bit limited. There is not a lot to choose from if you are not willing to spend in excess of $500 but for around that there are a few guns available. There are a some questions you need to consider first though. What caliber do you want, 7.62x39 or 5.45x39? Both are available and either one is a good round. What style are you set on? Tradidtional laminated wood and stamped steel or one of the more sporterized guns? A quick check of the ususal sorces on line shows the low end Romanian WASR rifles right around $500, these are traditional style and build quality is servicable but you need to see before you buy as they can have canted sights,poor riveting and very rough wood at times. Dont get me wrong, they shoot but are not pretty. If you are not married to the old school style you can still get Saiga rifles for around $400 and they are made in Russia in the same factory as the real deal and are of excellent quality but do not share mags with standard AK,s and are sporterized. Of course you can build your own from kits, convert Saiga,s to look traditional but all of that is another stroy all together.
I dont know about the Omaha gun stores as I live in Lincoln. If you want to make the drive here check out Neberaska Gun. The owner Jeff ususally has examples of most of the guns available to look at and will gladly let you know what is available in the market these days.   

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2011, 11:47:28 AM »
The Bullet Hole at 109th and Harrison will have a wide selection that you can look at.

As stated the Romanian AKs will be the least expensive. I have an early one and it is a reliable shooter, but if you want something pretty, look elsewhere.

Mid range will be the Yugos. These have very good build quality and are available in a wide range of configurations.

Top end will be the Bulgarian Arsenals. Excellent fit and finish with multiple configurations. I have an Arsenal SLR-107F and I am very happy with it.

To emphasize what was stated below, look out for canted front sights. I have seen nearly every manufacturer let these go out the door.

- Shawn 
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2011, 01:13:11 PM »
The Sol's just north of downtown Omaha should also have a good selection of them(though most likely overpriced).  You can get one online, have it shipped to an FFL here and be quite a bit under what most places around Omaha will want for one.

In my opinion, for the price you can't beat a Norinco MAK90.  Nothing comes close to them in quality for under $600.  Easy enough to get rid of the thumbhole stock with $60-70 worth of US parts. 

Some of the AK's produced now do not have a chrome-lined barrel.  That is a desirable feature.

There should be quite a few AK's at the Hastings gun show this weekend too.

Some links:
http://www.atlanticfirearms.com/storecategory90.aspx
http://www.arsenalinc.com/
http://www.jgsales.com/index.php/rifles/ak-pattern-rifles/cPath/209_214
http://www.centerfiresystems.com/ak_firearms.aspx
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline 20nickels

• NFOA Full Member
  • I've got your back
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2011, 05:29:04 PM »
If you research some of the builders on Rick's Atlantic firearms link you will find some of the more expensive one's have a great reputation for build quality.  I would not hesitate at all to order from Red Jacket or Interarms. 
~1522~    In an effort to reduce the continuing fear surrounding the black magic of guns and black powder, a Bavarian necromancer states that rifles are more accurate than smoothbores because the spinning bullet doesn't allow a demon to gain purchase upon it.