< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: The Historical and Refined .45 ACP  (Read 1630 times)

Hatchet1961

The Historical and Refined .45 ACP
« on: December 16, 2008, 01:27:59 AM »
Today's .45 ACP in the 1911 format has withstood the test of time designed by renowned firearm inventor John Browning.
Nearly 100 years ago, this man is deserving of a US National Holiday.
It was John Browning's firearms that greatly helped America win the World Wars I & II. His firearm designs also seeing action in Korea, Vietnam and by Special Forces in        Desert Storm and the present Iraq War. With earlier wars also.
The Browning BMG is another of J. Browning's many fine firearms revolutionary in its day.

Kimber Mfg. is the reason for the resurgent of today's modern .45 ACP 1911's with their crisp trigger, medium recoil and safety features. Let us not forget the big knock down power also of the .45 ACP. Kimbers early controversial times due to inside board member larceny and near bankruptcy. Kimber fortunately survived and progressed in 1998 moving from Oregon to Yonkers, NY to its new facility and began making quality hand fitted 1911's with many other companies soon following and enjoying the profits of the resurgence of the .45 ACP which is still going strong today. The early Kimber's are a rare find and truly superior to some of today's Kimbers Series II  guns.

Owning a quality 1911 often gives a person a disease a good one but causing you to want more 1911's that you keep for life and pass down through generations, a truly addictive firearm. With many fine 1911 manufactures and one of USA's best gunsmith shops being in Fremont, NE Cylinder and Slide. There is an abundance of different barrel lengths, frame sizes, grips, sights, trigger and other accessories to customize your 1911 to your liking by yourself or have a qualified gunsmith due the work.

Its short comings are few if any; it would be there slim profile limiting the magazine capacity to 8+1. Today's 1911 manufactures quality tooling providing very tight tolerances, achieving great accuracy, a crisp trigger and reliability one often does not need more bullets with the 1911. If need be one could always carry one extra magazine and if you cannot get it done in 16+1 than you may need to practice more. This slimness is an advantage to smaller sized hands. By just changing to slim grips measuring 5/32 of an inch versus the standard grip measuring 1/4 of an inch even the young adult male/female can comfortable shoot a 1911. Also a full sized 5" barreled 1911 can be concealed and has been by one of our members during summer softball coaching (legally CCP holder).

In my opinion many Pros and few Cons.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2009, 09:25:17 PM by Dan W »

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
Re: The Historical and Refined .45 ACP 1911
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2008, 12:05:10 PM »
The only drawback I see with the 1911a1 platform as designed by JM Browning (pbuh) is that it is HEAVY.  It is plenty slim enough to conceal easily, but even with a good belt, a steel framed 5" loaded with 8 230 grain bullets will do it's darnedest to drag your drawers in the direction of your ankles......  NOT a thing you want to happen at T-ball practice! 

Going to an aluminum framed gun helps, but in .45 ACP, the weight of the gun is what keeps felt recoil so light......  light bullets would also help, but then that takes some of the "wallop" out of the business end of the deal...... and seems to make recoil "snappier", to me at least......

Some say that the 8 round capacity is a drawback..... I say if you can not solve the problem with 16 rounds and some cover, you should have run.....
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline USN Retired

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2008, 09:56:04 PM »
I love my Israel Arms M1911. You are defiantly right about it being heavy. I'm waiting on a new Cross Breed SuperTuck holster to see if it helps with the droopy drawers issue I'm having with my SOB holster. A guy at work swears by his. I ordered mine in the horse hide since it's suppose to last longer, I know that that's the case with boots anyway. You can't hardly wearout a pair of horse hide boots.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote. -unknown

Offline schoolcop

• Forum Member
« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2009, 09:34:42 AM »
Love my S&W 1911. It's probably one of the most accurate and fun to shoot guns I own. I chose S&W because #1, I'm a big S&W fan and #2 it was $700 brand new. I thought it was a pretty good price for a brand new, quality 1911 with several custom add-ons from the factory. After more rounds than I can count, it has never had a malfunction and shoots better than I can. I enjoy shooting 45 acp more than the 40 S&W. To me, the 45 recoil is more manageable than the 40. This gun makes me look good. And that ain't easy.