< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Do you comment?  (Read 1470 times)

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
Do you comment?
« on: February 18, 2011, 06:21:54 AM »
If you see a "comments" section following a newspaper article online concerning gun control, CCW or other gun related topics, do you comment?

Why or why not?
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: Do you comment?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2011, 06:34:19 AM »
I will on occasion.  If I happen to have some experience or unique insight (ie. the bill allowing teachers to CCW at school) I will.
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2011, 06:37:14 AM »
I see I'm not the only one up early today.
I comment on occassion. It depends on wheather a comment has really torked me off or has the info all wrong. The flip side is that sometimes the liberals are so out in force and have totally skewed the debate that 'resistance is futile'. It's tough to have a battle of the wits, when the opposition is unarmed.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2011, 07:38:44 AM »
I do sometimes, but I am starting to learn that it is a waste of time to argue with the typical Weird Herald or Urinal star reader, so I am trying to avoid even reading them. Because if I read them I usually can't keep my mouth shut!

Offline WESchultz

• Powder Benefactor
  • ENGC & NMA
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2011, 09:31:52 AM »
I have to agree with Chris. Most of the time it's best to not argue with the liberal "mentally unarmed" nutcases who make comments. It's NOT worth spending any of a persons valuable time debating with idiots. Most of the time when a person reads their comments all it does is raise ones blood pressure. Their drivel isn't worth the bits taken to write them. It's best to just ignore them.
If you don't know your rights, you don't have any!

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2011, 03:01:39 PM »
I used to be one to jump in to the fray with both feet, until I started this work for NFOA and I found that their is a more effective way to make a point.

We don't have to convince every person, just the right people.

Besides I got weary of typing out a rant and then deleting it
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2011, 04:12:24 PM »
I don't for once believe the hard core anti's can be convinced of anything but their own viewpoint.

They're not rational thinkers.

However, I believe it's nice to present an opposing view so that those on the fence know there is a valid argument from the dreaded "gun lobby."
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline Dark Helmet

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 04:57:01 PM »
I don't read either paper, so, well, no...

Offline WESchultz

• Powder Benefactor
  • ENGC & NMA
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 08:00:40 PM »
As info: Here is what Dale Carnegie says about "Picking your battles."

"Any fool can criticize, complain, condemn -- and most fools do. Picking your battles is impressive and fighting them fairly is essential."

We as a group need to be smart enough to "pick" our battles.
If you don't know your rights, you don't have any!

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 08:23:34 PM »
I do sometimes, but I am starting to learn that it is a waste of time to argue with the typical Weird Herald or Urinal star reader, so I am trying to avoid even reading them. Because if I read them I usually can't keep my mouth shut!

This :)
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline Bill

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 11:12:24 PM »
I will admit to commenting on the LJS site.  Mainly I wait until they work up a good head of steam then poke huge holes in their arguments.  There's nothing like facts to take the fight out of them.  Of course I have a long list "ignore, do not respond to" names.

You never win an internet argument, but when I have to throw something out there and I know it will be attacked it helps to nail down your facts as good as possible.  Then they can either a) drop it, or b) resort to ad hominem attacks.  Either way I know I "won".

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 11:20:57 PM »
LOL I have done these same many a time.  ;D

And like some others have stated, I have started to not read the articles and if I do, I skip the comments.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline tut

• Forum Member
    • Tuts words
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2011, 06:46:46 PM »
I used to be one to jump in to the fray with both feet, until I started this work for NFOA and I found that their is a more effective way to make a point.

We don't have to convince every person, just the right people.

+1
Imagine how gun control might be stomped if either of the NON-COMPROMISING lobbying groups, the Second Amendment Foundation or Gun Owners of America, had the NRA's 4 million members!