< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Any thoughts on how to respond to my councilman's reply  (Read 917 times)

Offline Rodney Moorhead

• Powder Benefactor
Any thoughts on how to respond to my councilman's reply
« on: April 04, 2011, 09:06:28 AM »
My thinking cap is not working for this one. 

Rodney AKA Lamont

Rodney,

Thanks for your note.  I understand your frustration.

I would refer you to the City Prosecutor's Office to discuss further as I believe they and the Omaha Police Department feel differently about the need and legal justification for this process.

Pete

Sent: Sun 4/3/2011 7:32 PM
To: Festersen, Pete F
Subject: Omaha City Council: Civil Rights Infrignment in Omaha

This is an enquiry e-mail via http://www.cityofomaha.org/citycouncil/ from:
Rodney Moorhead <rodneymoorhead@cox.net>

I am writing about Omaha's Handgun Registration.  This is a blatant infringement on my and my fellow citizens 2nd Amendment Rights.

It is also a tax on our right.  I already pay taxes that pays for a NCIS check at the purchase of a handgun.  I had to pay a tax to the State of Nebraska to get a permit to even exercise 2nd Amendment right.  Finally I am force by the City to pay a tax again.  Not only do I have to pay a tax I am forced to go downtown, and waste at least a half an hour for another back ground check which I have already gone through two previously. It is an insult and it is outrageous.

Will you do anything to work towards the repeal of this onerous infringement on our 2nd Amendment rights?

...Com on wanre niht scri?an sceadugenga

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Re: Any thoughts on how to respond to my councilman's reply
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2011, 09:19:03 AM »
You might suggest that both the OPD and City Prosecutor are law enforcement bodies and that you would like to see the law (municipal code) changed.  Changes to municipal code, as you understand it, can only be made through the law-making body, i.e. the City Council.  That is why you contacted your council representative and not an agent of law enforcement.

You might also reiterate that you would like to know your council representative's stance on the 2nd Amendment and corresponding feelings about the issue at hand - gun registration and the registration tax - so that you will know how to vote come election time.  You would very much like to support your council representative for re-election, but cannot do so if he doesn't make clear his stance on issues such as this.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 08:48:38 AM by Mudinyeri »

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2011, 05:52:08 PM »
Or you could get your CHP and thumb your nose at them.

Offline justsomeguy

• Defender of the Constitution
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2011, 06:22:28 PM »
Or you could get your CHP and thumb your nose at them.

Yeah, by asking permission and paying twenty times more to exercise his rights. ::)
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." - Marcus Aurelius

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2011, 04:54:47 PM »
Interesting question.  I made the mistake of breaking my 20+ year gun purchasing celebacy at an Omaha retailer and also had to pay their tax, and I do not live in Omaha.  None of the city counsel members represent me as a non-resident, so for me this is basically "taxation without representation". 

I would have to agree with Mud's suggestion.  The larger a city is the more likely that its law enforcement arm is going to be anti-gun, and it seems that Omaha hit that point some time back.  I wont buy another gun in Omaha, just not going to happen.  But I carry there all the time, both my registered gun and others since I have a CHP.

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX