< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Cop fired after responding to "Officer Down!" radio call  (Read 950 times)

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Cop fired after responding to "Officer Down!" radio call
« on: June 07, 2011, 06:17:53 PM »
Saw this on Yahoo News just now...makes me Grrrr.

http://beta.news.yahoo.com/blogs/lookout/cop-fired-helping-fellow-officers-distress-150454649.html

What do you guys think?
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Re: Cop fired after responding to "Officer Down!" radio call
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2011, 07:41:03 AM »
To be clear ... it appears that he's being fired for a failure to report his whereabouts, not for responding to the "officer down" call.  While I'm no LEO, my guess is that it is SOP to report when you are leaving your post (I know it was for us in the Army).  In fact, in the Army, you could be subject to a court martial for leaving your post.

A simple radio call to his shift supervisor advising that he was leaving his post to respond to the "officer down" call would have saved everyone a lot of angst it seems.

This statement is telling:

Kevin Lawrence of the Texas Municipal Police Association agreed. "You don't fire a guy for this unless he's a chronic disciplinary problem," Lawrence said. "You call him in, you counsel him and you put him back out there. If he's a good cop, he's a good employee. You use this as a training opportunity."

I'm guessing that there's more to the story than was reported.

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: Cop fired after responding to "Officer Down!" radio call
« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2011, 03:06:48 PM »
I am agreeing with you Mud, all he had to do was lift the microphone and tell them whats up.  A seasoned police officer would have known this, so the question is why did he not?

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX