< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Cosmoline  (Read 1851 times)

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
Cosmoline
« on: January 30, 2012, 08:32:22 AM »
Bought a NIB 1974 (ish) Yugo SKS packed in cosmoline from Rod the other day.  Before I get to the question, just want to mentioned Rod is an extremely good guy to deal with and will treat ya right.  I refuse to buy anymore firearms from Cabela's in La Vista, due to the looong wait to have 20 people check the paperwork.

Anyway, my question, What is the easiest way to remove the cosmo?  I've done the google gig and the results were all over the board.  The hits I got ranged from boiling water, brake cleaner, paint thinner, oven, dishwasher, gasoline (yeah, right), diesel fuel, steam, wrapping the gun in a black plastic bag and put it on the south side of the house, etc.

I asked Rod if the price included the cleaning of the cosmo, said it didn't.  :(

This is the first surplus gun I purchased, so this newbie could use some expert advice.  The people on this forum are extremely knowledgable, and looking forward to your opinions.

Thank you very much in advance.

Bernie

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Cosmoline
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2012, 08:57:46 AM »
I found that Remington Action Cleaner, or similiar works best.   I've been told they are essentially brake cleaner.  That being said I would recommend a toll free call for free advice from Brownells at 800-741-0015.  They will put you through to one of their 'smiths/techs who are always helpful. 

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2012, 09:00:37 AM »
I have only heard of people using paint thinner.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2012, 09:30:38 AM »
i've heard of brake cleaner and paint thinner.  you can also use heat.  see here:  http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_6_14/196139_Low_and_Constant_Heat__Cosmoline_Removal.html

Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2012, 11:50:58 AM »
I should have pointed out in my reply that any way is a big pain in the butt and time consuming.  It will fascinate you the knooks and crannies Cosmoline can hide out.

Offline sparky0068

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2012, 01:36:34 PM »
I have a hot box for just such the task.  It is a wood box with three 150w light bulbs in in, you just place some towels, old newspaper on the floor, lay the weapon on that broken down as far as you dare and place box over that.  24 hours later you have a mostly de-cosmoed weapon. 

You can borrow it if you want.
KD0LKT

Offline altheman2

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2012, 08:40:06 PM »
I usually take them apart as far as i dare and use some mineral spirits,wd-40 and paper towels on the metal parts. As for the wood i bake some of the cosmoline out. Oven set up at 150 degrees bake the stock for about 2 to 3 hours, wipe it down every 15 min gets most the the cosmoline out. A damp rag with a little dawn dish soap is what i have been using to wipe it down with. After you take it out a shoot it a few times on a hot day that usually gets the last little bit out. Oh and one of the biggest problems i have had is chamber, clean it out really well, i have used a drill, part of a cleaning rod and a shotgun brush of the right diameter and bore cleaner to get that good and clean.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2012, 02:17:45 AM »
The easiest, least toxic and least expensive is Purple Power (auto section at Wal Mart) and hot water (no need to have it boiling - hot tap water works just fine). I've tried everything else and this was the best by far.  Use it full strength and wear nitrile gloves.  Throw the small part in a bucket and swish them around - cosmo will come right off. Plug the muzzle and fill the bore with it - let stand a few minutes and then run a brush through it and rinse with hot water. Wipe down the outer barrel and receiver with the remaining cleaner that is in the bucket and rinse the outside with hot water. Wipe it all down good to dry, or use compressed air.  Oil everything and you are good to go. Can be used on wood as well - but it will most likely remove shellac ( I refinish my stocks with tung oil so not a concern for me).
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 02:21:33 AM by 00BUCK »

Offline Lmbass14

• Powder Benefactor
  • Red Horse - Semper Ducimus
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2012, 05:26:02 PM »
I would like to thank everyone for their input.  I fu-up.  Had ants in my pants, and started in with what was around the house before reading the thread.  Had some break cleaner, mineral spirits, rags, old coffee can, toothbrush, etc.  Soaked everything and got all the cosmo off.  My neighbor had a heat gun and loaned it to me.  After getting the cosmo off, used (neighbors) Murphy's red.  Don't look to bad.  Thank you Sparky0068 for offering the heat tub.

« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 05:29:23 PM by Lmbass14 »

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2012, 07:05:03 PM »
I fixed the pics for ya
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline KY57

• Forum Member
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2012, 08:12:05 AM »
Looks real nice.  Good to see some more SKS' floating around out here.   ;D

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2012, 08:18:31 AM »
Thats a nice looking rifle you got there Bernie, the bass in the background is pretty nice too!
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2012, 08:56:37 AM »
golly that looks pretty darn good.

(i edited my standard method of speaking, i'm normally a bit more foul-mouthed:) )
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.