< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Letter to Mayor Beutler Re his membership in Mayors Against Illegal Guns  (Read 1580 times)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
My letter to Mayor Beutler...

Dear Mayor Beutler,

I am writing to express my concern regarding your affiliation with Mayors Against Illegal Guns (MAIG).  On the surface, MAIG seems to be innocuous and of good intent.  I believe this is what has drawn in so many mayors.  However, one only needs to scratch the surface to see the insidious intent of this organization.

By simply noting the names or the two co-chairman, it is obvious that their intent is to limit gun rights.  Mayors Bloomberg and Menino have made repeated attempts to severely limit people's rights under the Second Amendment.  A perfect example of their ridiculous organization is the misleading information they present about Mexico's crime issues.  Not only are their facts skewed, but they actually think that Mexico's problems should be a reason to deny our citizens of their rights under the constitution.

Mayor Bloomberg has been doing his best in New York City to discourage responsible citizens from having any form of self defense in their home.  The fee for a handgun permit is $340, which means only the wealthy law abiding citizens can own a handgun.  Meanwhile the criminals buy their guns on the street and bypass the fee to the city government.  Is this really an effort to keep illegal guns out of the hands of those with ill intent?  No...this is simply an effort to keep guns out of any and all hands.

With all that these two mayors do to restrict law abiding citizens, how can you with good conscience be part of a group organized under the guise of a public service when its true intent is to limit the Second Amendment? 

I know.  It won't do any good, but I feel a little better.  ;D

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
And that is my reason for voting Anybody but Beutler today
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
+1
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
As long as the unions run Lincoln (and Omaha for that matter), he will stay in office as long as he desires or crosses them.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
The Mayor's response...

Thank you for your note of earlier this month regarding the Mayors Against Illegal Guns (MAIG) initiative.  I apologize for my delay in responding.

I respectfully disagree with your characterization of this initiative.  I simply do not believe its intent is to limit Second Amendment rights.  I have attached a copy of the "Coalition Principles" to which all signatory Mayors were asked to agree.  I do, in fact, agree with these principles.

I certainly respect your opinion with respect to the Coalition co-chairs, Mayor Bloomberg and Mayor Menino.  I , however, am persuaded by ideas, not people.  And , again, subscribe to these "Coalition Principles," as opposed to any particular actions these co-chairs may have taken in their local communities.

Thank you again for your e-mail.

Sincerely,
Chris Beutler
Mayor of Lincoln

The "Coalition Principles" he refers to can be read here

I am formulating my response, which will include my decision not to support him during the coming election.

Fly

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
I certainly respect your opinion with respect to the Coalition co-chairs, Mayor Bloomberg and Mayor Menino.  I , however, am persuaded by ideas, not people.  And , again, subscribe to these "Coalition Principles," as opposed to any particular actions these co-chairs may have taken in their local communities.

Ask him what these "principles" are, exactly.

I looked them up.

http://mayorsagainstillegalguns.org/html/about/principles.shtml

There is no way to implement any of these with out national registration and more laws criminalizing failure to register.   

Without registration, which I will never stand for, this is abunch of feel-good BS.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 02:54:35 PM by JimP »
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Ask him what these "principles" are, exactly.

I looked them up.

http://mayorsagainstillegalguns.org/html/about/principles.shtml

There is no way to implement any of these with out national registration and more laws criminalizing failure to register.   

Without registration, which I will never stand for, this is abunch of feel-good BS.

He included a printing of those so-called "Principles".  I like your response.  They are definitely trying to move to registration of the law abiding which has proven to be a failure in Canada.

Fly

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
My response to the mayor...

Mayor Beutler,

Thank you for your written response to my email.  I too have to respectfully disagree with your response.  While your intentions may be good, my assessment of MAIG and its founders is spot on.  I will refrain from saying you are guilty by association, but at the very least it casts a dark shadow on your reputation.  These so called principles you have taken an oath to uphold are nothing more than a push towards state or federal gun registration.  This is what the MAIG's founders believe in and are intent on doing through this organization.

If you see gun registration as a legitimate goal, you do not have a grasp of our countries history or the recent decision by the US Supreme Court stating that the Second Amendment is an individual right.  Another consideration is the fact that, while the populace of Lincoln is much more liberal than its rural counterparts, the majority of homes have legally owned firearms.  As such, there is strong support for uninfringed Second Amendment rights.  Regardless, gun registration is not only an affront to the constitution of this country and our state, but it is also a proven failure.  Canada's gun registration that was implemented has run over budget and been proven to have no effect on crime.

I will assume you are entrenched in these flawed beliefs laid out by MAIG which leaves me no choice but to vote for your opponent in the upcoming election. 

Fly

Offline Mike M.

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
Sorry I saw this so late. You should have also told him that Mayor Bonehead was on national TV and admitted to wanting a total ban on guns. I believe that was on Meet the Press a few months ago.
Mike

USAF 82-88, American Legion, NFOA,  NRA