< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Des Moines paper publishes over 5,000 names of gun permit holders  (Read 2677 times)

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
http://wireupdate.com/wires/16820/des-moines-paper-publishes-over-5000-names-of-gun-permit-holders/

A list of nearly 5,200 names of gun permit owners in Des Moines, Iowa was published on Thursday in the Des Moines CityView paper, sparking privacy concerns among the residents. In the article titled “Who’s Packing” the names of those who filed for a gun permit under the new Iowa gun law are listed in alphabetical order.
“With nearly 5,200 applications to carry already this year, it’s safe to say that plenty of people, including your neighbors and friends, are now “packing heat.”  Cityview author Jared Curtis wrote before naming all the residents.

The article was published in both the weekly print edition and online.

~~~See more at link~~~
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Re: Des Moines paper publishes over 5,000 names of gun permit holders
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2011, 11:37:31 AM »
I'm sorry to say, but It was just a matter of time....
Don't we have something in place on the books to prevent this in our fine state?
Sound like Iowa Carry has another battle on their hands.

On a related note, Friday I went into Iowa for the first time since the CCW resiprocity went into place. (of course I was at a school, so we disarmed) Was a good feeling to cross the river and not be a criminal.  Kudos to the Iowa folks.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2011, 11:38:47 AM »
This just sickens me that someone at the paper, regardless of how liberal the paper is, does not see how this exposes these law abiding citizens to concerns of theft.  Let alone an individuals right to privacy.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2011, 11:46:54 AM »
I just pulled a random name and
Wow for a $.95 3 day trail I can search out these names and find:
Full Name
Birthday
Up to a 40 Year Address History
Phone Numbers
Possible Relatives
Criminal History
and that was just the first related google search I clicked on.

I know, I have helped my mother search out family history and there is plenty info for free and for a few bucks, way too much!
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline altheman2

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2011, 11:56:27 AM »
Stupid Stupid Stupid...List of people who have firearms....Criminals going to love that

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2011, 12:26:28 PM »
Because I can't keep my mouth shut...

Quote from: Letter to the Sheriff
Sheriff McCarthy,

I think I speak for most Concealed Handgun Permit holders across the nation when I express my extreme distress over your decision to release the names of permit holders in Polk county.  This act, regardless of the legality, is an egregious assault on the rights of these law abiding citizens.  Regardless of your views on the new Iowa laws regarding issuing CHPs, you have just allowed criminals to research their intended victims.

You have no idea what reasons these individuals may have for obtaining a permit.  It could be a woman who is in fear for her life from an aggressive stalker.  Such potential victims know that the law enforcement community is already stretched too thin, and since you can't always carry a Law Enforcement Officer with you, a gun can be a good alternative.  Because of your release of this information, such a concerned woman's potential attacker now has the upper hand and can plan their aggression accordingly.

A similar battle is going on in Illinois, where the Attorney General is trying to force the state police to release the names and other personal information of those who have registered guns.  Thankfully, the state police have shown a backbone in resisting such an unreasonable and potentially dangerous release of information.  Considering that your position is an elected one, it may be wise for you to consider the damaging effects of your actions and refrain from releasing any such names in the future.

Quote from: Letter to the Cityview Editor
Cityview Editor,

I think I speak for most Concealed Handgun Permit holders across the nation when I express my extreme distress over your decision to release the names of permit holders in Polk county.  This act, regardless of the legality, is an egregious assault on the rights of these law abiding citizens.  Regardless of your views on the new Iowa laws regarding issuing CHPs, you have just allowed criminals to research their intended victims.

You have no idea what reasons these individuals may have for obtaining a permit.  It could be a woman who is in fear for her life from an aggressive stalker.  Such potential victims know that the law enforcement community is already stretched too thin, and since you can't always carry a Law Enforcement Officer with you, a gun can be a good alternative.  Because of your release of this information, such a concerned woman's potential attacker now has the upper hand and can plan their aggression accordingly.

A similar battle is going on in Illinois, where the Attorney General is trying to force the state police to release the names and other personal information of those who have registered guns.  Thankfully, the state police have shown a backbone in resisting such an unreasonable and potentially dangerous release of information.

Is there any legitimate explanation for why the Cityview felt it necessary to release these names which could outweigh the potential harm this invasion of privacy could cause?

I know...I know.  It won't do any good, but I feel better getting it off my chest.

Fly

Offline omaharj

• social catalyst
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 01:02:10 PM »
    I wouldn't assume this was legal.... it may not be. If it isn't,perhaps 1 percent of those people will sue both the Sheriff and Jared. Then, in anticipation of victory, put liens on their homes. 50 lawsuits and 50 liens would be a painful predicament. At about the time they realize this was a bad move,Polk county may want to refuse to back the sheriff and he'll have a legal and financial nightmare. I'm sure Jared will  have a hard time with advertisers when word gets out (I hope).
EDIT..... Rereading my post I realized I was being spiteful,which I believe is the reason the Sheriff publicised the list. I was tempted to erase my post but will leave it and just be embarrassed.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2011, 08:24:43 AM by omaharj »

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2011, 04:11:19 PM »
One thing I found humorous...when I opened the Cityview website, there is an advertisement at the top for CHP classes.  Probably won't get too many takers considering the actions of the paper.  Talk about hypocrites.

Fly

Offline altheman2

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2011, 06:37:03 PM »
I noticed that also...the article doesnt sound anti-gun and its good to see that many people are applying for a permit (Going to feel good going to Iowa with the ability to carry). I am curious to see how many of the 5200 people on that list are going to make a call to Jared Curtis.  I would think it would hurt Equip to Conceal to be advertising on cityviews website.  Hope their stupidity hurts!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2011, 06:43:28 PM by altheman2 »

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2011, 07:52:09 PM »
It would be real easy to get the names, addresses, and phone numbers of all of the people at that rag and post them. That way the criminals will know that they don't have permits to carry guns. Like editor and publisher Shane Goodman who lives in Ames.

Offline Roper

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2011, 07:41:56 AM »
Dave B is on to something.  I'm assuming that the label "gun permit holders" implies CCW permits. If so, there are a whole lot of others who may own a firearm but don't have permit to carry concealed.  Regardless, if you aren't on the list that was published, the bad guys can probably assume that your home is a gun free zone.....
Concentrated power has always been the enemy of liberty.
Ronald Reagan

Offline Eagle1

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2011, 01:04:58 PM »
Went to their website to reads the whole story and when you click on it up pops,

Not Found
The requested URL /2011/04/21/features/coverstory2 was not found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

UUMMM, possible issue's?
USN 83-87, American Legion

Offline justsomeguy

• Defender of the Constitution
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2011, 01:16:01 PM »
http://www.dmcityview.com/2011/04/21/features/coverstory3/

http://www.dmcityview.com/

Still there, though they changed the byline from Jared Curtis to Cityview Staff.

Maybe Jared is not so proud of his work.
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." - Marcus Aurelius

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2011, 11:46:54 PM »
The Sheriff's reply...

The Illinois law you ref to is not as straight forward as is ours nor has it been resolved. I don't like the fact that this information was made public apparently any more than you do but I do not control what the media dose. If you remember on the permit application you filled out,(which is a State form), there were two references to this being public information. But I do agree that no good can come from the publication.

My reply to Sheriff...

Sheriff McCarthy,

First, thank goodness I am a resident of Nebraska where this does not happen.  I am merely a supporter of common sense gun laws that protect the rights of law abiding citizens.  Second, thank you for your candidness on this subject.  It appears you have been put in a difficult situation.  Since you understand why nothing good can come from releasing such information, maybe you could work with the folks from "Iowa Firearms Coalition" to support future efforts to pass common sense firearms laws.  I would imagine they will soon have proposed legislation which will make it illegal to release lists of CHP holders.  If so, they will be looking for leaders of the community who would support their efforts.

Again, thank you for your candid reply.

Fly

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2011, 10:18:48 PM »
The Lincoln Urinal Star and Omaha Weird Herald would LOVE to do something stupid like this, along with Chief Tom Casady of LPD...... Fortunately Nebraska law prohibits disclosure of this info.

69-2444. Listing of applicants and permitholders; availability; confidential information.

The Nebraska State Patrol shall maintain a listing of all applicants and permitholders and any pertinent information regarding such applicants and permitholders. The information shall be available upon request to all federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies. Information relating to an applicant or to a permitholder received or maintained pursuant to the Concealed Handgun Permit Act by the Nebraska State Patrol or any other law enforcement agency is confidential and shall not be considered a public record within the meaning of sections 84-712 to 84-712.09.
Source

Laws 2006, LB 454, § 18.

http://www.nebraskalegislature.gov/laws/statutes.php?statute=69-2444

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2011, 03:17:32 PM »
I've been wondering about the extent they are allowed to share the information and then what other agencies can do with it.  For example, when I recently drove across the border into Canada and gave Canadian customs my passport, they came back and asked about my carry permit and if I was armed.

Apparently our State Department gets the information one way or another and shares it in the Passport Database so other countries' customs offices know when you enter their country.

The problem is, what if one of these other agencies, either in the U.S. or other country doesn't have to keep the information confidential?

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2011, 04:35:26 PM »
I've been wondering about the extent they are allowed to share the information and then what other agencies can do with it.  For example, when I recently drove across the border into Canada and gave Canadian customs my passport, they came back and asked about my carry permit and if I was armed.

Apparently our State Department gets the information one way or another and shares it in the Passport Database so other countries' customs offices know when you enter their country.

The problem is, what if one of these other agencies, either in the U.S. or other country doesn't have to keep the information confidential?

I've had Canadian Customs agents ask me the weirdest questions the last few years when crossing in.  After asking me if I had any firearms along (my response is NO!) she would then ask, "Well, then how do you intend to protect yourself?" 

I realize this is designed to provoke a not-well-reasoned response, but I just want to say, "Isn't that YOUR job since Canada wants me disarmed?" 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2011, 11:16:24 PM »
Reminds me of when another litter box liner manufacturer in Bloomington, IN pulled a similar stunt by publishing a map showing which streets CCWers lived on.  One of the gunbloggers out that direction then created an interactive map with the addresses of some of the "journalists" associated with that newspaper: http://gunnuts.net/2009/12/03/journalist-database-update/. 
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein