General Categories > Help!

Getting started re-loading

(1/4) > >>

Jay:
Well, I have been wanting to get into re-loading for quite a while, but it seems like there has always been so much going on I just never carved out the time to get things started. Well, now that the kids are getting older and shooting more than .22's all day, I just can't afford to keep the whole family stocked with store bought ammo. It was tough enough when it was just me using the larger calibers.

So, what advice do you all have as far as what I should get for equipment and supplies to get started? Does someone sell a "package" reasonably priced? What's the best way to go for someone on a budget to get started re-loading? 

JimP:
First, ask yourself ,"What am I trying to do?" Are you going to dip your toe in and see if it's for you? Are you you going to be loading cheap range ammo? Or are you planning on entering long range matches or Benchrest competitions? Are you loading for 1 gun or are you feeding a collection?

The most inexpensive equipment out there is made by Lee Precision. Inc. I started with their Challeger Kit for (IIRC) about $70, 5 years ago. I broke the links on the press twice neck sizing rifle cases, and Lee replaced the links for free. I've since bought a sturdier press(a Redding), but some of Lee's tools (their case length trimmer and priming system for example) are better designed and WORK BETTER than their competitors' tools costing many times over what the Lee's do.......

I have loaded thousands of rifle and pistol rounds on the set up....... It has definitely paid for itself..........

And aside from the saving money (handloads cost about 1/2 of what major name brands do), rollin' yer own lets you tailor your loads  to your needs. Don't have money for a varmit rifle? Roll up some 100 grain hollow points for that '06............. (more practice is better, and you can comfortably fire 100-200 prairie dog loads in a day from a sporter weight rifle- fire that many full power 165 or 180 grainers and your shoulder is going to be crying for ice!). Plus, there is always  the satisfaction of "I made that!" And then there all the things you can learn- Ballistic Coefficients, Sectional Density, pressure curves, the different takes on bullet construction......... the fact that every rifle is different, even those of the same make and model may shoot better (or worse!) with a particular bullet/load/seating depth/ amount of crimp...........

Administrator:
I started with a single stage Lee anniversary kit. It cost about $70, and had everything but the dies that I needed to get started. It served it's purpose, and I'm still using most of the kit, but I have slowly been replacing the pieces with better quality counter-parts, and I want to get a progressive press here shortly. If you are looking to start with a single stage press, and want a kit, I would recommend the RCBS kit. It costs a little bit more than the Lee kit, but it is complete, and it contains very high quality parts backed by a no questions asked lifetime warranty. Don't get me wrong, the Lee kit works, but I have had some things break. Most quality reloading equipment will last a lifetime, so it's a good idea to spend a little bit extra and have something that you can count on for years to come.

Jay:
Ughh, been looking on-line at kits, and can't make up my mind what to do. Cabela's has a few different kits on their site, and I'm not sure which way to go. I see Lee has a kit that is a bit more expensive than their anniversary kit, looks like a different press. Would that be the way to go, or will the anniversery kit do what I want to do? I am going to be re-loading a wide variety of calibers.

JimP:
You can get factory seconds (paint defects, customer returns) from Lee Precision, Inc., for 60% off list prices (which are lower than Cabela's Price....... cut out the middleman......... There is a coupon in the back of their reloading manual for this offer......... I'll see if I can find it.......

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version