< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: What to get the Wife?  (Read 971 times)

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
What to get the Wife?
« on: May 14, 2011, 07:01:40 PM »
Anniversary coming up.  Shes got a glock 26 and colt comander .45.

She is jealous of my ar-15 and my mosin.

Soo.. I thought about getting her a SBR but after realizing the legal issues I decided 6" off the barrel isn't worth it.  Plus  if it less accurate than my 16" ar-15 we'll have an issue.

I am leaning towards a large tactical "sniper rifle" type gun like the ar-30 or the savage series.

I like the 300 win mag caliber, its about the same price as the 308 but much more power. 

Any body got any input on these or things I should consider?

Keep in mind we are NOT taking the rifle scene "serious".  Its more fun for us and she likes eye candy on her guns.  So practicality aside, just looking for something fun.  I think a large caliver long range gun that doesnt break the bank to shoot would be fun.

I could just get her a fancy stainless steel ar-15 too.  The only problem with that is we shoot steel cased ammot.  My current ar-15 is a budget DPMS so I don't care too much.  I heard better ar-15 are best if you use brass and steel can ruin them, just a thought.  If I am going to buy more expensive .223 might as well go up in caliber.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 07:05:43 PM by skydve76 »

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: What to get the Wife?
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 08:45:20 PM »
My wife isn't a rifle person, but after holding my SBR'd AR15 she wants to try it with a short .22 LR upper.  Now if CMMG would just get around to releasing their 5.5" upper before I blow that money on something else....

Honestly, owning an SBR is no big deal.  It's kind of a pain waiting for the ATF to approve it, and the extra $200 fun fee sucks, but other than that it's not bad.

If you're looking for something larger caliber I would go with Savage or Tikka, personally.  I've never owned a Tikka but I've heard they're very good for the money.  I used to own a Savage .223 (sold it to build my first AR) and it was very accurate, around .5 MOA.  I think for the price either one is a great deal.
« Last Edit: May 14, 2011, 08:49:02 PM by bkoenig »

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 09:26:54 PM »
You could get her a pane of glass.

Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 09:36:59 PM »
You could get her a pane of glass.

I dont want her to do that to me.  Plus she would probably miss the glass...

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 11:53:37 PM »
why not go pick up a standard mosin and drop a composite stock on it like mine?  Came with swivel studs, easily mount a simple bipod or hang a sling and commence to destroying ten rings. All for less than $225.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2011, 12:52:28 AM »
I already have a mosin with a scope on it.  After looking around, it comes down to these:

DPMS LR-308
Savea 110 BA in 300 Win mag

I am leaning towards the 300 win mag as 308 is basically the same thing as my mosin's 7.62X54R.

The point is to have something extreme and fun, but not practical for anything else other than having fun and making big booms.

I'll keep shopping but other than the scoped mosin, our collection is missing a high powered long range rifle.

I have until July 24. 

Whatever I get her either needs to be really decked out, like an ar-15 with some goodies on it.  Or a really large caliber rifle.  The savage fits the bill.

I will have to go back and compare size differences of the lr-308 and the savage.  If the size isnt too bad perhaps I could live with the 308, if I put a good scope on it and a telescopic stock, with a bipod...

BTW a .50 BMG would be perfect except $5 per boom is just too much for me right now to really enjoy.

We like to go pick up ammo every now and then.  $15-$20 per box isnt bad.  But $50 for 10 rounds, or $100 ro 20 isnt something you can randomly pick up.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2011, 12:54:29 AM by skydve76 »

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2011, 01:32:03 AM »
I think you should get her an AR-10. Then see if she will let me borrow it now and then.

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2011, 07:12:00 PM »
Ar-10  is cool, but way too high priced.  Anyobody know if a muzzle brake can be put on a lr-308?

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2011, 07:33:02 AM »
She won't back down from the Savage 110 BA in 300 in mag.

Looks like I am going to have to start reloading, I'm sure I can beat the $1 per round price they cost out of the box.

Look for a young cute  woman with a big sniper rifle at Eastern Nebraska gun club, also carrying a colt 1911.  Also know she is married to me and quit staring at her.

Thanks.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2011, 08:05:00 AM »
i guess being a young pup, i'll say it.  Post a pic so i know who to avoid :)

and post a few pictures of the savage so we can all drool the appropriate amount.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.