< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Sen Christensen makes a last bid to move LB298  (Read 2936 times)

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Sen Christensen makes a last bid to move LB298
« on: May 17, 2011, 06:55:58 PM »
Senator Mark Christensen made another plea to move LB298 out of the Judiciary committee tonight on Drive Time Lincoln. He actually said that the committee is split 4-4 and we need to move one of the 4 no votes.The 4 no votes are McGill, Lathrop, Council, and Harr. He also implied that Brad Ashford comes and goes... no surprise there.

I think the NFOA needs to send another barrage of emails to these 4 and the Chair of the committee, Brad Ashford, and demand that LB298 move forward.

The budget is done now and I think there is still time to make this happen!

It is just not proper that 4 people can dictate to the entire state of Nebraska on such an important piece of legislation

Committee Members

Sen. Brad Ashford, Chairperson
Sen. Colby Coash
Sen. Brenda Council
Sen. Burke Harr
Sen. Tyson Larson
Sen. Steve Lathrop
Sen. Scott Lautenbaugh
Sen. Amanda McGill

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Sen Christensen makes a last bid to move LB298
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2011, 08:00:26 PM »
Emails sent to all.

Here's what I said:

Dear Senator,

I am a concealed carry permit holder and a responsible gun owner. I believe very strongly in our 2nd amendment rights as well as the right to self-defense. I also believe that LB298 is possibly the most important legislative issue facing the people of Nebraska today. As the current law stands, a law-abiding citizen is required to surrender property and flee from his or her workplace or home if confronted by an armed criminal. To me, this is just plain wrong. We should not back down and run from criminals. We need to show them that we will not stand for their illegal activities.

Protecting the honest people of Nebraska from civil repercussions in the unfortunate event that they are required to use a firearm on against another human being is essential. Worrying about legal troubles later on can cause someone to not take action when he or she should. In a life or death scenario, you need to act quickly and you need to feel capable of utilizing a full defense. Defending our own lives, our families, our loved ones, and our property is a right that we each have.

Please vote in favor of LB298 and help us keep Nebraska safe. While I have great faith in our law enforcement officers, they cannot always be there to help us. When one of us, the average civilian, does have to take the role of the protector, please do not allow criminals, whom have chosen to break the law and put us in danger, to prosecute us.

Thank you for your time and please do remember that many of us support LB298 and we will certainly remember who worked for us next election. I promise to cast my vote for you if you support LB298.

Feel free to use bits and pieces of that but please do not copy and paste it exactly. We want them to know how passionate we are, not just form letter them to death.

Also, ignore the fact that I can't vote for all of them. Sounds good when you say it though.  ;D

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2011, 08:10:30 PM »
Who is the one we can turn the easiest?
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2011, 08:42:11 PM »
Here is mine...

Dear members of the Judiciary Committee,

I am writing you once again to implore you to move LB298 out of the committee so that it can be voted on by the full Unicameral.  This bill is the common sense which needs to present in our state laws to protect the rights of law abiding citizens.

Similar laws have been enacted in several other states.  These "Castle Doctrine" laws have done nothing more than allow the victims of crimes to use reasonable force to protect themselves and their loved ones from an aggressive intruder.  This in no way allows someone to shoot without justification.  It simply does not allow the victim to be further victimized by the legal system if the self defense was righteous.  No one should have to face financial ruin in a civil defense case if they were within their rights.

Please do the right thing.  Recognize the merit of LB298 and disregard all the unjustified rhetoric presented by those who do not support the Second Amendment and the State of Nebraska's Constitution.  Bring this bill out of committee and to the Senate floor for a vote.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2011, 08:43:49 PM »
Who is the one we can turn the easiest?

My best guess is Burke Harr
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2011, 08:44:40 PM »
NFOA alert email is going out now (hope I didn't mess it up)
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2011, 08:46:38 PM »
Looks great Dan, THANK YOU VERY MUCH for putting this together and sending it out

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2011, 09:16:41 PM »
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #8 on: May 17, 2011, 09:20:37 PM »
E-mails sent.  Here's hoping...
NRA Life Member.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: May 17, 2011, 09:28:24 PM »
8 emails sent!  Lets go people!  Make them send it to the full legislature for debate.
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2011, 10:18:53 PM »
Sounds like that 'crazy" hillbilly senator Christensen is stirring the pot again!!    :D

Thank God for folks like him!
I'll get the letters formulated in the morning,  Thanx for the heads up folks.

The one thing I we need to emphasize is that this bill isn't just about guns. You could be in the same position if you were to protect yourself or family with that kitchen knife,  your son's baseball bat, or even hand to hand combat, whatever defense is available at that time.  I believe this is a point we need to make, among the many others.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2011, 10:26:37 PM by NE Bull »
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2011, 09:11:35 AM »
Sent mine off to the 4 Nay votes earlier this morning:
Senator ________,

As the session draws closer to an end and with the budget now complete, there’s still time to make a great step in protecting law-abiding Nebraskans from litigious civil suits filed by the criminal or criminal’s family following justified self defense against the criminal.

It's my understanding that you are one of the four votes who opposes moving LB298, the Victim Protection Act, out of the Judiciary committee.  I'm asking you to please work to move LB298 through the Judiciary Committee and to the floor for a vote of the general assembly.  This is such an important issue that all Nebraskans should have the opportunity to weigh in on this bill via their representative senators.  Thanks for considering changing your vote to support the democratic process!
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline Ghost

• Steel Benefactor
  • NRA Life Member - 1972
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2011, 10:22:45 AM »
E-mails sent to the nay-sayers and the Chair. 
A well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free State......George Mason

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2011, 11:47:09 AM »
Getting my friends (who are non-gun people) to email also. Let's get this pushed!

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2011, 04:42:45 PM »
Fired my 8 off this evening.  Ghads I hope this gets to the floor.

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2011, 05:29:49 PM »
here is my emails I sent to the 4 no votes.  i hope i wrote a good enough letter for everyone.

Dear Senator XXXXXXX,

I am writing you for your support of LB298, "The Victim's Protection Act."  Nebraskans NEED this to be discussed on the full legislature floor, so all Nebraskans can have their say.

Personally, as a law abiding citizen, I have a right to be safe and secure no matter where I am.  And as a husband I have the responsibility and duty to protect and provide for my family at all costs.  LB298 gives more power to innocent, law abiding citizens against criminal attacks.  So, please give this bill your approval.

Finally, this is not a firearms or weapons issue.  This is an issue about my family's "life, liberty, pursuit of happiness and ... defense of self, family, home, and others, and for lawful common defense." 1.

Thank you for your time,

Name
Address
Contact Info
NFOA member
NRA member

1. Nebraska Constitution, Article 1, Section 1 (1875)
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2011, 10:12:39 PM »
I have received a response from Senator Colby Coash, but not the one I had hoped for.

I am a cosponsor on this bill and will support it, however we don't have enough votes on the committee to get it out of committee.

Colby

I will be following up with the Senator to see what we can do as a group.

Ron

NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: May 23, 2011, 06:19:47 PM »
did our attempts do any good?

did anyone get a reply?  i have not received any yet.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline justsomeguy

• Defender of the Constitution
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: May 23, 2011, 06:25:48 PM »
No replys received here. :(
"The first rule is to keep an untroubled spirit. The second is to look things in the face and know them for what they are." - Marcus Aurelius

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: May 23, 2011, 09:15:38 PM »
The only reply from the eight emails I sent was from Senator Coash.  Way to class it up, Legislators....
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.