< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Sen Christensen makes a last bid to move LB298  (Read 2937 times)

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Sen Christensen makes a last bid to move LB298
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2011, 08:26:44 AM »
I also received no responses... Seems our senators don't care what we think. That sounds about average. =\

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2011, 08:32:49 AM »
I'm sure part of it is avoiding the issue, but some things you should know about the Senators. They get a LARGE amount of email from all directions.... We are just one little group. They have staff that scans their email, and I know many Senators have personally told me they only can take the time to respond to their constituents. Some Senators (such as Coash) try hard to respond to everyone. Often there are Senators who get flooded about a bill and have a form letter prepared that a staffer will send.

Unfortunate? Yes..... I can't say I totally blame them though either. If I was getting paid $12k a year, I probably wouldn't have a blackberry glued to my side making sure I respond to constituents emails like I do with my business customers, let alone responding to every single email that comes in from people outside my district.

Doesn't meat we shouldn't bother..... I think if they get flooded with enough, that might cause them to move...... I just wouldn't expect a response.

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2011, 08:56:14 AM »
Roger that, Chris.

It is unfortunate. I had the misfortune (lol) of working at a federal Senator's office a few years back... Probably the worst job I've ever had. Not to mention I really didn't respect the Senator I was employed under, but I was hurting for work. People called all the time asking to talk to the Senator. I wanted to tell them that I WORK there and I haven't even SEEN the guy yet, but, of course, didn't. You basically just mark down one check mark per call about people in favor of this bill or against this bill, etc.

It seems so impersonal and frustrating though because if someone makes an honestly good point about the legislation, you can't send that forward to the senator, you have to just put it on the checkbox. He rarely reads comments, if at all.

But I wasn't aware the State Senators got paid so poorly. It must be only a part-time job for them, yeah? Maybe I should run... Heh.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 09:01:04 AM by SeanN »

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2011, 10:13:10 AM »
yep, they get paid like crap.  i kind of figured i wasn't going to get a response, but i was just curious if anyone got a response or heard anything happening.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2011, 11:04:41 AM »
They get paid well enough for the time they serve.  In fact, I am in favor of no elected legislative official being paid.  Keeps them honest i.e. true intentions for serving.
But I digress.  It is my hope that the next time around the firearms community, Sen Christensen, et al. can hammer home a better argument regarding a "Victim Protection Act".  This is not to say we did not do a fine job this time around.  However, we should vehemently defy being marginalized by the drive by media and the libs on the Judiciary Committee.  That for me means not allowing them to drive the discussion, not being led down bunny trails (Council, McGill, etc.), and reminding them that we are not the criminals. 

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2011, 12:27:49 PM »
I'm pretty sure most of them have Facebook accounts.  Might not hurt to post something to their pages. 

Unfortunately, it probably won't do any good this year as it sounds like they are trying to get out of there by thursday.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Tmoney33

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2011, 12:29:09 PM »
I emailed all the committee members plus Christensen and my district senator Fulton. I have gotten replys from both Coash and Fulton thanking me for the push. On a sad note, just read on LJS website that the legislature might close up shop ealry this year. Early as in this Thursday!

http://journalstar.com/news/unicameral/article_4da78b0a-40fa-57c6-bef9-cce71754f391.html
GLOCK Certified Armorer