Ammunition & Hand Loading > General Ammunition Discussion

.223 Remington vs 5.56 Mil.

<< < (2/3) > >>

Rodney Moorhead:
I was wondering, would it just be a solution to get a 5.56 chamber reamer and open up the .223 chamber?

Dan W:

--- Quote from: LamontCranston on May 19, 2011, 08:05:42 AM ---I was wondering, would it just be a solution to get a 5.56 chamber reamer and open up the .223 chamber?

--- End quote ---

It can be done, but it kinda defeats the purpose of a chrome lining in the chamber.

Ronvandyn:
Yeah, RobertH and I discussed it last night a bit and I decided to pass on the 5.56.  The 223 rounds are a good deal and we will be discussing those tonight. 

I spent years shooting 5.56 as an Airforce Security Policeman and was always of the opinion that they were just about the same.  Reading the velocity specs of the standard 223 tells me that there is a small difference somethere but I was not real sure where.  I spent far to much on my rifle to blow the chamber on an experiment, so I'll stick with what I know works. 

Ron

00BUCK:

--- Quote from: Ronvandyn on May 19, 2011, 01:52:53 PM ---Yeah, RobertH and I discussed it last night a bit and I decided to pass on the 5.56.  The 223 rounds are a good deal and we will be discussing those tonight. 

I spent years shooting 5.56 as an Airforce Security Policeman and was always of the opinion that they were just about the same.  Reading the velocity specs of the standard 223 tells me that there is a small difference somethere but I was not real sure where.  I spent far to much on my rifle to blow the chamber on an experiment, so I'll stick with what I know works. 

Ron

--- End quote ---

But why limit yourself? Just because .223 rounds may be a good deal today doesn't mean you might not find a great deal on some 5.56 ammo down the road - Which you will have to pass up if you buy a .223 chambered AR.

Ronvandyn:

--- Quote from: 00BUCK on May 19, 2011, 06:33:43 PM ---But why limit yourself? Just because .223 rounds may be a good deal today doesn't mean you might not find a great deal on some 5.56 ammo down the road - Which you will have to pass up if you buy a .223 chambered AR.

--- End quote ---

I'm not a big fan of the "SHTF" theory, and for the money I spent on my new rifle I most likely could have gotten 2 AR's.  I lost my facination with "black rifles" in the military and now shoot strictly for pleasure.  Its relaxing to sit there and pop one off at a time, slowly, while enjoying the day (as long as I dont bring the kids along, then its a pain).  Its the same reason I also shoot muzzle loaders, just for the joy of it. 

Although I do seem to be growing an itch for an M-1 Carbine.  Kinda weird, my Dad had one when I was a kid and I loved it.  If I can find a good one for the right price I think I might add it to my growing collection.

Ron

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version