< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: My first "Official Contact" with Peace Officer while carrying  (Read 5093 times)

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
I just wanted to share my first "official contact" story.  My car broke down the other day on Harrison street in West bound lanes by 78th Street so therefore it fell into Ralston jurisdiction.  While waiting for my wife to come and get me, a Ralston officer pulled up behind me, came to my window and I explained to him my situation, he said while we're waiting can I check your license and registration so I also informed him that I was a CCW holder and was armed.  He just replied "where is your weapon located" and I let him know it was in a locked gun vault under my seat and He asked to hold onto it while we wait.  He was very polite about it and said "if you don't mind I'm just curious as to what you carry" and he also said brother had his permit and carried all the time.

I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience, overall it was fine I just hadn't actually heard of a case where the officer had secured the weapon.  I know that it is definitely within their right to do that just hadn't heard of it locally and maybe it is just Ralston procedure.  Not a bad experience with the exception of a broken down car but just thought I would share.
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
Re: My first "Official Contact" with Peace Officer while carrying
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2011, 12:18:26 PM »
Sounds like a positive experience.  Not sure I am comfortable with the fact that he asked to your ID without probable cause i.e. traffic violation.  "Fishing for the state???"

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2011, 12:43:36 PM »
No problems with the experience, he was very polite and sounded positive about the CCW act I was in the same boat as you though, a little weird that he wanted my license and registration for a car that was just broken down, no laws broken, no probable cause.  And I understand he was well within his right to disarm me, I just hadn't actually heard of this happening to anyone else, I always hear that they let the officer know they have it and the officer's response is generally "just leave it were it is".  Like I said, maybe its just Ralston procedure.  Just wanted other peoples experiences.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2011, 07:02:31 PM »
Somewhat surprising that the LEO wanted a secured handgun removed from a locked security case where it wasn't accessible to anyone.

Maybe the LEO was kind of a Closet Gun Nut [as contrasted to all of us Overtly Blatant Gun Nuts] who just wanted a look at your carry piece while not much else was going on.

Maybe he's a Gun Voyeur.

Lots of us are.

sfg[/b]
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2011, 08:23:07 PM »
Maybe, but the kicker is that it never came out of the gunvault, I just handed him the whole thing and he took it back to his patrol car (and he never had my combination) with my chp, drivers license and registration and returned them after my wife showed up and we got my car towed off the street.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2011, 08:14:54 AM »
What's cool with the Forum here is that different behaviors from different LEOs regarding their handling of CHP/CCW cases get posted and read by Forum members who carry.

Takes some of the mystery out of the process and helps us deal with our own individual LEO encounters when they happen.

Geez.....the LEO never looked into the box.   Definitely not a Gun Voyeur.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: May 28, 2011, 08:37:34 AM »
Here is what I experienced and put in another thread:

I was recently in a fender bender in Omaha.  A young driver rear-ended me.  An OPD officer showed up to take the report and got the other driver's info first.  He then walked up to me.  I was standing outside the car with registration, driver's license, proof of insurance and my carry permit on top.

He said, "Hello," and I simply said, "hi, I need to let you know I have a permit to carry and I'm armed."  He took all the documents and handed by my CHL without looking at it.  His response was, "good for you. Thanks for letting me know."

He didn't ask what I was carrying or where, let alone ask me to surrender the gun.  It was a pretty positive experience, other than the need to replace my rear bumper.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #7 on: May 28, 2011, 09:00:57 AM »
Not meaning to go off on a tangent here, but...

Why was your gun locked in a gun vault making it inaccessible as your were driving?
Why would you not have said gun vault attached to your vehicle to help prevent it's theft?

Just trying to understand your reasoning for this.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Chris C

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: May 28, 2011, 09:47:25 PM »
I was wondering if anyone else has had a similar experience

I have come in official contact with OPD twice while carrying and each time the officer seemed like they could have cared less.  Although the one jokingly said as long as you leave it where it is we won’t have a problem. 

Offline Mike M.

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: May 28, 2011, 10:36:30 PM »
I would say your encounter was positive and most likely was the officers preference to dis- arm you. I also have to agree with FarmerRicks questions.
Mike

USAF 82-88, American Legion, NFOA,  NRA

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #10 on: May 28, 2011, 11:02:13 PM »
I want to know why he asked for your license and registration? If you are not driving I don't think it was necessary. Of course, you have to give them what they ask for to avoid confrontations and to make sure they don't get their little power happy ego damaged.

I have been stopped twice for DOT inspections, both times I told the officer I had a permit and was armed, both times I was thanked for telling him and off he went to check my vehicle. Not once did they ask a single question about where it was or what it was. Both times I made it through with no infractions.

Kansas is a different story, spent several hours in Belleville one dark night waiting for a speeding ticket with a legal gun in the car.

Offline Clint

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2011, 01:04:30 AM »
Yeah, also just wondering, if it is in the vault, why is it not secured to the seat or to the vehicle somewhere? And if it is locked up but NOT secured to the 'frame' of the vehicle, it's not really concealed, is it? Unless that cable is secured, it's really not 'legal' in some places, is that right? Of course it may depend on if you have a license and/or where you were at. Maybe it depends on the cop also? Just wondering, need to look at the rules again.

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2011, 03:02:47 PM »
The "why is it not secured to the vehicle, or inaccessable" issues wasn't really what I was trying to start a conversation about but since it was brought up here is how it went.  At the time my car stalled out I was carrying it on my hip IWB. I turned on my emergency flashers and started walking for a gas station, got a can of cas came back and put it in the car and still would not start, called my wife and got her headed my way and while I was waiting I placed my firearm in my vault under my seat and unhooked to cable that secured it too the car so that once my wife arrived I could get down and hook the chains up, get it pulled off the street and then when I leave with her I would be able to just grab my vault and head out and go. The officer arrived several minutes after I had placed it in my vault. 
That is the play by play.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2011, 03:48:08 PM »
The "why is it not secured to the vehicle, or inaccessable" issues wasn't really what I was trying to start a conversation about but since it was brought up here is how it went.  At the time my car stalled out I was carrying it on my hip IWB. I turned on my emergency flashers and started walking for a gas station, got a can of cas came back and put it in the car and still would not start, called my wife and got her headed my way and while I was waiting I placed my firearm in my vault under my seat and unhooked to cable that secured it too the car so that once my wife arrived I could get down and hook the chains up, get it pulled off the street and then when I leave with her I would be able to just grab my vault and head out and go. The officer arrived several minutes after I had placed it in my vault. 
That is the play by play.

Got it, thanks.  That all make sense to me.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: May 29, 2011, 09:42:44 PM »
Would have been interesting if the officer had asked you to open the gun vault, as then the line gets real fuzzy and you have a decision to refuse to open or not.....in short he would need to be very assured of his "reasonable articulable suspicion" or "probable cause".  Otherwise, consenting by you by opening or giving him the combo would be his only legal means of seeing what's inside. 

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2011, 03:37:53 AM »
This is not directed at the op, but many ccw peope get a permit to simply keep a gun in the car.  Its a false form of security, and it makes people feel safe who dont have the nerves to actually carry the gun.  I would also guess these same people would not have the nerves to use it either to save thier own hide.

Keeping a gun in the car onlyopens it up for theft.

Get a pair, carry the gun

For the OP, maybe he just forgot to get it out if the case that day.  Ive done that.  UsuallyI get it out and put it on the seat, with  a mindfullness to it to put my hand on it should I slam on the brakes.

Edit.  Read the ops last post, understood.

Offline tut

• Forum Member
    • Tuts words
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2011, 03:02:49 PM »
Three contacts.

First one was before CCW in NE, had gun on front seat, legally, with Omaha open carry permit on 52nd street about Saddlecreek.  Long story short, in handcuffs for 25 or 30 minutes, a long-winded talking to about my not needing to have a gun and what the hell was I doing with one...  He gave it back, but had me unload it and put it in my truck before being so kind as to release me.  I ended up with officer M. Camp**** and his Sgt. calling me and apologizing after I lodged a formal complaint.  I did enjoy letting him know the difference between the 1930's Germany and our country...

The second was by another Omaha cop, and the third a sheriffs deputy.  A speeding ticket and a license plate tag expiration, respectively, both simply asked where the gun was (after divulging my CCW status) and then they each basically said "OK, thanks for telling me" and that was it. 

M. Camp**** was a young cop, likely fresh from training and very, very unsure of himself in regard to the laws of the time, about 6 years ago.  I'm sure that today he's a fine LEO now that he has some experience and has been better educated.  Officer Camp****, "you're welcome".

*Name partially covered to help prevent moderator(s) from hyperventilating. 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2011, 03:12:02 PM by tut »
Imagine how gun control might be stomped if either of the NON-COMPROMISING lobbying groups, the Second Amendment Foundation or Gun Owners of America, had the NRA's 4 million members!

Offline Omaha Doc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2011, 10:38:13 AM »
I was stopped on the West Dodge Expressway by Omaha PD.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2011, 12:30:13 PM by Omaha Doc »

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
« Reply #18 on: August 26, 2011, 06:58:41 PM »
I was a passenger when driver got pulled over.  Told driver turn on the inside lights and put my hands on the dash.

Officer was doing typical 'make all of the conversation to control the conversation' -- driver finally said 'uh, my friend needs to tell ya something'.  I declared the concealed carry, officer chuckled and pointed out he was wondering why I was acting a little nervous without being able to get a word in and was all kinds of happy / glad to hear I was carrying and such.

Typical short conversation followed such as what I was carrying etc.  Don't believe he asked to see the permit.

This was a Bellevue PD officer.

----

Second situation at declaring concealed carry was when I admitted myself to emergency room with chest pain.  Was talking to the 'receptionist' and was 'oh ****, uhhhh im concealed carry and have a weapon on me' ... they were cool with it, just had to show permit and just had me deposit it in a safe behind doors.  One of the receptionists also commented that she concealed carried.  I then went in and got medical attention :).

This was Bellevue Medical Center near HWY 370 & 25th.

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #19 on: August 26, 2011, 10:24:28 PM »
Interesting..............

CCW in the Emergency Room is--as everbuddy knows--expressly forbidden and an instant violation of Carry Law.

So----It's really cool that the hospital ER staff was Really Cool and didn't do a Hissy Fit.

Thanks for sharing.

Good argument for going to ERs where the receptionists Pack Heat.

Maybe a sign that reads something like, "We Pack Heat, Too.   CCW Welcome." would help enhance their business model.

sfg