< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: My first "Official Contact" with Peace Officer while carrying  (Read 5091 times)

Offline unfy

• Lead Benefactor
  • !!! SCIENCE !!!
Re: My first "Official Contact" with Peace Officer while carrying
« Reply #20 on: August 28, 2011, 10:11:54 AM »
Interesting..............

CCW in the Emergency Room is--as everbuddy knows--expressly forbidden and an instant violation of Carry Law.

So----It's really cool that the hospital ER staff was Really Cool and didn't do a Hissy Fit.

Thanks for sharing.

According to the receptionist, the lobby area of the ER was fine for CCW, but beyond the double doors where the doctoring occurs was the big nono.

I personally wouldn't really believe this .... I'd still insist on disarming before stepping foot out of your vehicle.  Maybe it's just that particular hospital's policy, I dunno.  I still say disarm!

It's possible that they were okay with my carrying due to admitting myself with chest pain and other problems (ie: heart issues possible) .... and looking like doggy doodoo ... and that I was very submissive after realizing the problem / declaring it.  IE: declaration/submissive and that they were more interested in getting me in to see a doc ASAP.

hoppe's #9 is not the end all be all woman catching pheramone people make it out to be ... cause i smell of it 2 or 3 times a week but remain single  >:D

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #21 on: August 28, 2011, 11:25:57 AM »
UNFY

Punctuation counts.

Here's an example:

(1)    018.01K Hospital emergency room, or trauma center;

(2)    018.01K Hospital, emergency room, or trauma center;

Number (1) is from the original Title 272, NAC, Ch. 21.   In this case, only the ER and the trauma center are specified as being off bounds for CHP/CCW.

Number (2) is from the revised Title 272, NAC, Ch. 21 [10August10].   The comma after "hospital " puts the whole, entire, complete hospital complex on the CCW-forbidden list.   

I've followed this particular item closely, because of frequent running in and out of a hospital on behalf of a family member.    With this change, we can't just skip past the ER and TC any more while packin'.    Makes the in-car handgun safe a vital accessory.

Glad that you got the Good Guys when you made your visit.

And--please stay in touch w/your cardiologist.   We can't afford to lose any NFOA members.

sfg(Quadruple By-pass Survivor; 15March2005)

Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #22 on: August 28, 2011, 03:09:47 PM »
   IN CASE ANYONE WONDERS HOW THAT COMMA CAME INTO BEING  >:D

Senators: No concealed guns at campuses, hospitals 
    NANCY HICKS / Lincoln Journal Star  | Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2007 7:00 pm
Sen. Russ Karpisek says he’s a gun-loving redneck. And he gets a lot of business at his meat market from hunters.
“I’m not intending to anger the NRA,” the Wilber senator said, “but why on earth would you need a concealed weapon in a hospital?”
Is there a chance Grandma will pull her IV out and try to stab someone with it?
Might there be a doctor lurking about with a sharp scalpel?
Karpisek made his comments as senators voted to add hospitals and college campuses to the list of places at which concealed weapons are banned by law.
The law passed last year that allows Nebraskans to get permits to carry concealed weapons contains a long list of places in which guns are automatically banned, from political fundraisers to churches and banks.
It includes emergency rooms, but not hospitals. It covers elementary and high schools, but it doesn’t specifically mention colleges.
Since they were not on the list, hospitals and private and public colleges had to put their own bans on concealed weapons and post signs at every entrance when the law took effect in January.
Most colleges in the state already banned students from having firearms. And University of Nebraska students with hunting rifles store them with campus police, said Richard Wood, general counsel for NU.
NU Regents in January outlawed concealed weapons and campuses posted signs.
At the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, that meant more than $700 for “no gun” decals placed on parking lot signs, according to UNL spokeswoman Kelly Bartling. UNL considers parking lots to be the entry to the campus.
“This will make it easier and more uniform for us,” Nebraska State College System Chancellor Stan Carpenter said about including colleges in the laundry list of places where concealed weapons are automatically banned.
Senators set out to correct the college oversight in an unexpected amendment first broached late Wednesday night then carried over to Thursday morning.
Some said they had worked out an agreement with the National Rifle Association: colleges yes, hospitals no. The NRA wouldn’t oppose putting colleges on the list, and senators wouldn’t try to make any more changes to the bill, several senators explained.
But Omaha Sen. Ernie Chambers wasn’t a party to that agreement. In fact, he called it “falling into the abyss of sheer stupidity,” “preposterous” and “dealing with the devil.” He decided to try adding hospitals to the list of places automatically free from concealed weapons.
Sen. Brad Ashford of Omaha, who brought the college amendment to senators, conceded  there was little difference between colleges and hospitals, but he had agreed to the deal.
“Although there is no logic, I made that commitment,” he said.
But many other senators who weren’t party to the agreement said guns at hospitals made no sense.
“I have shot a lot of guns,” said Sen. Norm Wallman of Cortland. “I have never shot my friends. I have never shot myself. But why should we have guns in hospitals? This is an excellent amendment.”
Senators added hospitals and colleges to the list and gave the bill second-round approval after almost an hour of debate.
Posted in Govt-and-politics on Wednesday, May 23, 2007 7:00 pm Updated: 2:28 pm.
Read more: http://journalstar.com/news/local/govt-and-politics/article_efd508a9-0668-55c8-b1b9-6089d9fd96b7.html#ixzz1WM8SCIEr
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #23 on: August 29, 2011, 11:57:24 AM »
The insane running the asylum......

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #24 on: September 16, 2011, 05:53:38 AM »
I can think of a good reason why i shouldn't be barred from bringing my handgun with me into the hospital: So i don't have to fear that my gun gets stolen from the car if some thug decides to smash out the window and steal the cd player. Then I am minus my gun and a criminal (felon) has gotten a hold of a gun. I thought the legislature is trying to keep guns out of the wrong hands?

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #25 on: September 16, 2011, 01:41:09 PM »
Turns Out..............

We Really Don't Have Concealed Carry in Nebraska.

We have Concealed Carry, Ltd.    >>>>>>    Concealed Carry, Limited.

Very Limited.    Quite Light.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #26 on: September 16, 2011, 04:57:07 PM »
I can think of a good reason why i shouldn't be barred from bringing my handgun with me into the hospital: So i don't have to fear that my gun gets stolen from the car if some thug decides to smash out the window and steal the cd player. Then I am minus my gun and a criminal (felon) has gotten a hold of a gun. I thought the legislature is trying to keep guns out of the wrong hands?

Not to mention it necessitates more gun handling and doesn't that increase the odds of blasting something unintentionally?

It's not about safety or concerns for "public welfare."  It's simply there to pacify the "we don't like guns anywhere crowd." 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #27 on: December 27, 2011, 04:03:26 PM »
While this is not something I would fight tooth and nail to change, I find it odd that someone would question why anyone would need a gun in a hospital.  Is a hospital any different from a college or high school campus, or a bank?  Don't we have dozens, or hundreds of examples of people taking guns illegally into these places, even though it was already against the law?  So, we shouldn't be allowed to defend ourselves if we're in one of the supposedly gun-free zones?  People need to realize that it's not the CHP holder who is going to rob the bank or shoot high school or college students.  It is just as unlikely that a CHP holder is going into a hospital to shoot someone.  As far as I'm concerned, there is no place a CHP holder should not be allowed to go as long as there is any chance that someone else might disobey the law and go in with a firearm.  Places that have metal detectors and/or other procedures for making sure no one gets in with a gun "might" be a different story.  Even then, we apparently can't keep weapons out no matter what we do, as there have been courtroom shootings and bombs on airplanes.
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.