< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: 9mm target ammo  (Read 3926 times)

Offline wahoo_t

• NFOA Full Member
9mm target ammo
« on: June 05, 2011, 05:08:32 PM »
I have a springfield XDM9 what is everyone's opinion for the best target shooting ammo.
The Wahoo_T

"No Gun is a Danger to the Innocent When Held by a Man of Morals"-unknown author_

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Re: 9mm target ammo
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2011, 07:32:03 AM »
I usually just buy the cheap Wal-Mart Federal stuff.  It's hard to beat the price unless you want to buy ammo by the case.  I think it's usually about $11.XX per 50.

It should shoot fine in your XDm.  It does in mine.  However, I have a Glock that I had to put a lighter spring in to shoot the Wal-Mart Federal stuff.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2011, 12:26:14 PM »
I also shoot the XDM 9.  I've fed it every cheap ammo I can find and have never had any problems other than a weak magazine spring.  Normally I shoot win white box, but it should eat anything.
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline wahoo_t

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2011, 03:29:37 PM »
What would you guys use if you were shooting in a competition.
The Wahoo_T

"No Gun is a Danger to the Innocent When Held by a Man of Morals"-unknown author_

Offline sparky0068

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2011, 07:01:54 PM »
I shoot the cheap federal stuff at Rock your glock and it is plenty accurate for that out of my FNP-9.
KD0LKT

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2011, 07:57:55 PM »
for plinking i use what ever is the cheapest.... steel cased or brass cased.  brass cased FMJ's only for the Mac.  for competition i would buy somewhat expensive brass cased ammo (and a very clean, well lubed gun), that way i know im responsible for the bad shots.  :)
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2011, 12:39:10 PM »
What would you guys use if you were shooting in a competition.

Depends on the competition.  :) 

If you are shooting 3-Gun, USPSA Action pistol, Rock-Your-Glock, or Steel Challenge, basic cheap Federal or Winchester 115 gr FMJ from Walmart is just fine.  (Some people have feeding problems with the relatively-weaker Federal ammo.  I haven't, and that is through 2 G19s, a G34, 3 Gen 4 G17s, and a 5" XD9.   But yours might.)

If, on the other hand, you are shooting some variant on bullseye, then you are probably going to want something a bit more specific to your firearm, and should get into reloading. 

(Granted, if you are shooting any competition a lot, you'll want to get into reloading, not only to match a good load to your gun, but you'll be able to shoot quite a bit more for the same amount of money.)

I would suggest that you buy a box of each of the cheapest types of ammo you can find, and spend a day at the range on a sandbag, checking their accuracy out to at least 25 yards.  (40-50 is fun, too).   Most will probably be similar, but there may be one that just is very accurate out of your particular gun---though most likely, any one of them would work fine.  And there may be one that your gun just doesn't like.  Spending $45 to check the cheapest 4 ammo brands is going to be worth it.

Look for feeding problems, and check for accuracy.  If they all feed and give acceptable accuracy at the ranges you need, buy the cheapest.  :)
Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2011, 12:32:36 PM »
If, OTH, you are shooting bowling pin, you are going to want to handload the hottest heavy hollow point or flat point load you can work up ........
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2011, 12:38:38 PM »
I shoot mostly my own cast bullet reloads.  They shoot accurate enough for action pistol shooting, and I'm a cheap SOB so the price is right. 

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2011, 03:43:07 PM »
I buy the cheapest stuff I can find. I bought a few boxes of MFS 9mm at Cabela's. Smells bad when you shoot it but it worked great in my M&P.

Definitely smells better than the real cheap and nasty Russian steel cased stuff though.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2011, 07:46:19 AM »
Just FYI:  The Walmart on 180th & Center in West Omaha has Federal 100 round packs of 115gr. FMJ, brass cased ammo for $19.95.  It is not in the ammo cabinet, but on the shelf to the right of the cabinet.

The Win. "white box" bulk pack is still $25 or so.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.