< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Omaha oakview mall  (Read 14306 times)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: Omaha oakview mall
« Reply #80 on: February 16, 2011, 11:17:54 AM »
If he's giving out incorrect information he's doing a disservice to his students and needs to be corrected.  I would suggest doing it diplomatically, though.  How about contacting him privately and informing him that his information is wrong?  Maybe he's just mistaken.  I would give him the opportunity to make it right before calling him out publicly.
« Last Edit: February 16, 2011, 11:19:37 AM by bkoenig »

Offline LazyAce

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #81 on: February 16, 2011, 05:31:02 PM »
I talk to him now and then. I will ask him the next time just to see what he says. It`s not a big deal to me but it could be to someone else.
LIFE`S SHORT---RIDE HARD

Offline skydve76

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #82 on: March 07, 2011, 11:56:19 AM »
I went to the mall yesterday, through the younkers enterance.  No signs at all except no smoking signs.

I went over to the food court entrance, no signs, not even the typical "rules" sign they used to have (which is not conspicious anyways).

As far as I am concerned, oakview is 100% carryable and should be removed from the NFOA list.

I have not checked all entrances such as sears and penny's, but the general mall is not posted.

I would be careful though, ensuring good concealment.   They have wanna be state trooper look alikes as security guards and I am sure they would love to put you face down.

I tend to carry a blackhawk serpa CQC OWB holder covered by my coat, but it can flash if I bend over far enough or if my coat gets blown back by wind.

I'll only carry IWB  in the mall for now until this is figured out.  

PS I WOULD NOT call them and ask about it.

The mall is the ONE place I will carry no matter what. 
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 11:57:28 AM by skydve76 »

Offline tut

• Forum Member
    • Tuts words
« Reply #83 on: June 02, 2011, 09:55:44 AM »
Not to be a jerk, but are you seriously comparing the one day of "training" required for a CCW permit to the training that LEO's go through on a continual basis?

I know there was at least one person in my CCW class that I didn't fell very comfortable knowing that they would potentially have a CCW permit.  I won't go into the reasons why, but as a guy who spent time in the Army, went through specialized training in the Army and has continued to seek out specialized training afterward and practices defensive shooting on a regular basis I don't think the one day class required for CCW permits is enough to make a statement like the one above.

Sorry.  Like I said, not trying to be a jerk.

Many of us get training at Front Sight or other higher level venue's.  I've been there with both LA cops and boarder patrol guys and both groups indicated that the level of training they receive in their departments falls short of that we are getting 'here' (Front Sight at the time), complete with live-fire home invasion scenarios, etc.  Not to be a jerk, but many CCW holders do not rely on the rather skimpy training required for CCW and do get advanced training and therefore CAN be compared to a typical LEO.  At any rate, i know you were not trying to be confrontational or trying to measure your pee-pee, but it does get under my skin when misleading information is brought and given with a wide brush.  True, tho, now that I think about it, most CCW types likely don't get a lot of higher level training and do settle with the initial and minimal CCW training so therefore you are correct, generally speaking I suppose.  (shaking of of hands)  However, it should be noted that many ordinary citizens do train and they deserve a level of respect from all of us including LEO's, just as even the typical LEO (usually) deserves ours.
Imagine how gun control might be stomped if either of the NON-COMPROMISING lobbying groups, the Second Amendment Foundation or Gun Owners of America, had the NRA's 4 million members!

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #84 on: June 02, 2011, 12:15:36 PM »
tut,
I will throw in my 2 cents on this "older" but relevant topic.....having recently attended Rangermasters Tactical Conference in Tulsa last month I will share a statistic that appears pretty true and unfortunately, too common.
There was an instructor/lecturer dinner on Saturday night.  All the bigs attended i.e. Ayoob, Given, Aprill, Dobbs, et al.  The common consensus of the 25 or so in attendance felt like roughly 2,000 (yes, TWO THOUSAND) CHP individuals in the ENTIRE country maintain a ONGOING (not the once in a lifetime free trip to Frontsite or Bill's Gun Camp) training regimen since obtaining a CHP.  They based this upon feedback from surveys of their own courses.  Now...if that is true, which I can't see whay they would make that up.....pretty scary.  I know the CHP courses I've taught, I know some have not and likely never will go beyond the CHP course or their own range time.