< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: TC Encore  (Read 875 times)

Offline bk09

• Powder Benefactor
TC Encore
« on: June 21, 2011, 09:11:14 AM »
Hey guys I'm looking at ordering a TC Encore Rifle Frame from Buds. I ran into an issue when I ordered an AR15 stripped lower a couple months ago when I went to pick it up. I am only 20 so I discovered I wasn't old enough to have the lower when I went to the FFL (acher arms, who didn't know the law on this either, not going there again). Will I run into this problem with a TC RIFLE frame? From all the research I have done it seems the rifle stock on it classifies it as a rifle since I can't put a short barrel on it without making it a NFA weapon. Thanks in advance!

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: TC Encore
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2011, 10:19:53 AM »
I was unaware of the law prohibiting someone under the age of 21 from owning a stripped lower...hmm.

I doubt buying a rifle will cause you any issues, but i'ld check with your local LEOs to make sure.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2011, 02:00:43 PM »
A stripped receiver is an "Other Firearm" since it may be built into either a long gun or handgun.  As such it cannot be sold to an individual under the age of 21.  Other "Other Firearms" include pistol grip-only shotguns and things like semi-auto clones of belt-fed, non-shoulder-fired guns like a M1919.

I don't know enough about the Thompson Center frames to say whether or not they qualify at "Other Firearms".  Perhaps one of our resident FFL's can help clarify.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2011, 07:35:09 AM by Mudinyeri »

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2011, 06:33:16 PM »
Should have no problem buying a receiver with a stock attatched since it is already a rifle.

You can own a stripped lower or a pistol or a pistol gripped shotgun, you just can't buy them from a dealer till you are 21.

You can manuf. your own NFA when you are 18
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2011, 06:36:58 PM »
You should be able to legally purchase an AR15 complete lower that has a stock installed. That would remove any issue with selling a "handgun" to an otherwise legal 20 year old, as a stocked AR15 lower can never be made into a  legal AR pistol

David and I were  typing at the same time :)
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2011, 07:36:45 AM »
Is it possible to purchase a "stripped" TC frame (no stock)?  Could that be built into a pistol?  If so, then the OP couldn't buy one from a dealer.  He would have to purchase one with a stock.