< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Looking for AR-15 suggestions  (Read 10987 times)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Re: Looking for AR-15 suggestions
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2011, 12:36:52 PM »
Here is my projected cost...

Let me know if you think I am missing something.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2011, 04:58:11 PM »
Which Del-Ton upper assembly is that?  I don't see one on their site that's $545.

Are you set on the Magpul magazines?  Bravo Company has D&H Industries mags with the Magpul enhanced follower for $9.99: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-15-Magazines-p/magazines%20dh%20bt30mf.htm

If you buy 10, the price goes down to $8.95 each: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-Magazines-p/magazines%20dh%20bt30mf%2010pack.htm

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2011, 06:05:59 PM »
I would go with 1:7 instead of 1:9 because it gives you more bullet options.  1:7 is optimized for heavy bullets and 1:9 works better for ones around 55 grains.  The difference is a 1:7 barrel will often shoot light bullets ok, but a 1:9 usually won't shoot heavy bullets well, at least not at longer ranges.  My 1:7 is a pretty solid 1 MOA rifle with 75 grain Hornady BTHP's.  55 grain bullets shoot about 1.5-2 MOA. 

55 grain bullets are quite a bit cheaper, though.  I use them for shorter range shooting and plinking.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2011, 08:24:03 PM »
Which Del-Ton upper assembly is that?  I don't see one on their site that's $545.

Are you set on the Magpul magazines?  Bravo Company has D&H Industries mags with the Magpul enhanced follower for $9.99: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR-15-Magazines-p/magazines%20dh%20bt30mf.htm

If you buy 10, the price goes down to $8.95 each: http://www.bravocompanyusa.com/AR15-Magazines-p/magazines%20dh%20bt30mf%2010pack.htm

Regarding Upper
The upper was the custom mid-length flat top with heavy barrel. 

http://www.del-ton.com/Custom_Upper_p/cu104.htm

I added chrome lined barrel, YHM diamond free float handguards, and YHM low profile gas block (to fit under free float handguards.  The price may go up a little if I get a different tacticool flash hider, charging handle, and maybe a longer handguard to cover the gas block.

Regarding Magazines
Nope...I have virtually no base of knowledge to have any worthwhile opinion on this.  I was just going by the reputation that Magpul has on various websites like AR15.com.  I have read that the magazines can cause a lot of feed issues if you get a crappy one, so I was only going with reputation.  If you tell me those magazines are as good or better, then they may move to the top of my list.

Fly
« Last Edit: July 07, 2011, 08:28:29 PM by OnTheFly »

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #24 on: July 07, 2011, 08:31:49 PM »
PRI gas buster is only a necessity on a suppressed rifle.  In my opinion it is overkill for my needs. I do prefer the PRI Military big latch that it comes with and use it on all my stuff. I install this latch on a stock handle. It is about $20

The Badger Tac latch   model 1 is huge and  kinda sticks out in the way, especially if you use a scope IMHO. The mod 2 is smaller and would work better, but I still prefer the PRI

I do use Magpul gear...CTR stocks, 20 and 30 round magazines, but I prefer Hogue Grips over the MIAD. I like a tackier feel.

You really need to fondle some real stuff. You may prefer a lightweight barrel vs a HBAR once you have handled one.

All of my rifles are Govt. Profile barrels and  the weight loss out front makes a big difference to me.  And I see no loss in accuracy vs an HBAR
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #25 on: July 07, 2011, 08:33:52 PM »
I would go with 1:7 instead of 1:9 because it gives you more bullet options.  1:7 is optimized for heavy bullets and 1:9 works better for ones around 55 grains.  The difference is a 1:7 barrel will often shoot light bullets ok, but a 1:9 usually won't shoot heavy bullets well, at least not at longer ranges.  My 1:7 is a pretty solid 1 MOA rifle with 75 grain Hornady BTHP's.  55 grain bullets shoot about 1.5-2 MOA. 

55 grain bullets are quite a bit cheaper, though.  I use them for shorter range shooting and plinking.

Thanks (again) bkoenig!

Fly

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #26 on: July 07, 2011, 08:35:37 PM »
Any opinions/experience with the other options?

MIAD LPK from Palmetto State Armory - $79.95 (Has Magpul curved/enhanced trigger guard and MIAD grip)

PRI Gas buster Charging Handle - $75.00

-OR-

Standard Charging Handle with Badger Tac Latch $17.00

Flash Hider options
     Phantom 5C2 $20
     Phantom Aggressive End Compensator/Brake $20
     Phantom $20
     Vltor VC-A1 $50
     Vltor VC-A2 $50
Thanks,
Fly

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #27 on: July 07, 2011, 08:41:26 PM »
Go back, you must have missed one of my posts
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #28 on: July 07, 2011, 08:43:23 PM »
Although the  other flash hiders are cool, standard A2 hiders are all I own
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #29 on: July 07, 2011, 08:50:55 PM »
I have the 5C2 but it's not mounted on anything at the moment.  It's waiting for an upper to screw into it some day.  I used to run it on my 18" and it did a good job of hiding the flash.  I don't know that it's any better than an A2 but it looks cool.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #30 on: July 07, 2011, 09:33:54 PM »
Go back, you must have missed one of my posts

Yes I did.  I must have failed to refresh the post and missed it.  Thanks Dan.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #31 on: July 07, 2011, 10:09:43 PM »
If you tell me those magazines are as good or better, then they may move to the top of my list.

Fly

I've never had a problem with those mags from Bravo Co.  I HAVE had a problem with Magpul PMags not dropping from the receiver on one of my lowers. 

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #32 on: July 07, 2011, 11:13:59 PM »
I've never had a problem with those mags from Bravo Co.  I HAVE had a problem with Magpul PMags not dropping from the receiver on one of my lowers. 

Good info. 

Thanks,
Fly

Offline SeanN

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #33 on: July 08, 2011, 05:12:59 PM »
Alright...

I missed this thread til now!

Here's the info I got for you:

Charging Handles:
PRI Gas Buster is basically worthless on a non-suppressed rifle. The charging handle and latch aren't any stronger than the standard mil-spec one. If you really want a bigger latch, get the BCM Gunfighter charging handle from bravocompanyusa.com. It's the strongest, most ergonomic latch out there right now.

Pistons:
I would definitely recommend not getting a piston. I own one and it really isn't a big deal. If you think you need to clean your AR15 all the time... You really REALLY don't. Do it if you want to but Pat Rogers (of EAG Tactical) ran a Bravo Company Manufacturing (BCM) carbine for 50,000 rounds with only a single cleaning. It was "dripping sludge everywhere" according to the article he wrote called "Filthy 14" (google it if you want, great article). He replaced some wearable parts and just kept the thing lubricated with Slip 2000 EWL lubricant.

AR15s like to be run wet. No matter what anyone tells you, there's no such thing as too much lube on an AR15. If you put "too much" it will throw it off on the first couple shots. Use a good lubricant like Slip 2000 EWL or Break-free LP (not CLP, LP does not have the cleaner in it and is much thicker, doesn't dry out and stays in place much better than CLP).

The other issue with pistons is a lot of the systems on the market introduce problems with carrier tilt, the cam pin digging deep into the upper receiver, and the forced unlocking of the bolt causing more wear to the bolt. A lot of them run well, as does mine, but the AR system was not originally designed for that operation and that can cause some headaches if the piston system isn't perfect.

Barrel Twist Rate:
1:7 will let you shoot a wider variety of bullets and all of the claims about 55gr and lighter ammo "spinning apart" in the barrel is a bunch of BS. Someone posted it on the internet or someone said it in a gun store and it got accepted as fact. Many people on AR15, specifically Molon, has proven many times that 55gr ammo shoots just fine in a 1:7 twist barrel and it was actually MORE accurate than his 1:9 twist barrel. They were both chrome-lined barrels.

That said, 1:9 is fine as well. The only advantage 1:9 really has is that it will have slightly more velocity due to less rifling. This amount is very small though and is not noticeable to basically anyone without chronographing it.

Magazines:
I'm a big fan of PMAGs. I have had some issues with the bolt not locking back on an empty chamber when putting weight on the magazine and I had to modify them because my Spike's lower's magwell is slightly out of spec. What I would do is buy a few of each type and test them after you build the rifle. Function test them. Make sure you don't have feeding problems. Test that they lock the bolt back on an empty chamber. PUT WEIGHT ON THE MAGAZINE (I use it as a monopod) and make sure it still functions properly. Despite what a lot of people say, this DOES NOT cause malfunctions if things are working properly.

Muzzle Devices:
I don't really see the point of a flash hider unless you're going into combat or intend to do a lot of night shooting. Even then, an A2 and even some compensators are just fine at night and don't blind the shooter nearly as much as a lot of people claim. I personally use battle comps on both of my AR15s and I think they're a great balance between flash hiding, muzzle rise reduction, and recoil reduction. The sound is about the same as an A2 equipped rifle. Please do remember that shorter-barreled rifles are louder than longer barreled rifles. A lot of people comment on how loud my AR15 is at the range. It's likely because it's a 14.5" barrel with a battle comp. It's still quieter than a registered SBR or a longer barrel with a true compensator. ARs are just loud guns.

Barrel Profile:
I would highly recommend against the heavy barrel profile unless you don't ever intend to do anything except high power or bench shooting. If you intend to use the rifle as a home defense weapon, a hunting rifle, or for tactical training classes that heavy barrel is going to be a beast to lug around. The only time you really benefit from the heavy barrel is if you do lots of mag dumps in a row or if you intend to shoot groups very quickly or after a mag dump. Even a "pencil" profile barrel doesn't bend or flex much at all if you're only shooting 10 rounds a minute or less.

Of course, the benefits of reduced recoil (greater weight = less recoil) and a greater stability (more inertia) from the bench and from the competition "slinged" position would be provided by the heavy barrel profile.

It's all about what you want to do with the rifle.

Hope this has been helpful.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #34 on: July 08, 2011, 05:55:38 PM »
SeanN,

I wish you had some input on this subject.  ;D (Yes...that was sarcasm)

Regarding the heavy barrel.  I am not dead set on the Del-Ton kits, but I have read a lot of good things about them (very little negative) and their prices are pretty darn good.  Also, you can customize the heck out of some of their complete uppers.  Unfortunately, their custom flat-top upper with light weight mid-length barrel only comes in a 1:7 twist and I was hoping for more bullet weight options.  I don't know how much fluting costs.  I always liked the look of it, but I suppose that would be another option.  Maybe I can just contact Del-Ton and give them all my specs and find out what the price will be.

Thanks for the great information,
Fly
« Last Edit: July 31, 2011, 04:01:27 PM by OnTheFly »

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #35 on: August 01, 2011, 11:10:02 AM »
Palmetto State Armory has a AR-15 kit that has stainless steel barrels chambered in 223 Wylde.  Anyone have experience with these barrels and/or chamber?

Fly

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2011, 11:51:13 AM »
I love the Wylde chamber in my RRA,

BTW I have looked at that same upper and I thought it was a real good deal.

MY next target rifle will be a stainless barrel 1/8 twist Wylde chamber , I prefer 18" length with rifle gas system
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2011, 12:01:30 PM »
I love the Wylde chamber in my RRA,

BTW I have looked at that same upper and I thought it was a real good deal.

MY next target rifle will be a stainless barrel 1/8 twist Wylde chamber , I prefer 18" length with rifle gas system

I have not read too much negative about the 223 Wylde, but the only drawback is that it appears to be a heavy barrel.  I was leaning towards a gov't/light weight profile.  Also, I would prefer a black barrel.  I asked if they could change a few items in the kit to fit my specifications.  We will see if they can do it and what the price is.

Fly

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2011, 12:04:59 PM »
You won't find as  many light profiled Stainless barrels , and when you do they are not as light as the standard lightweight due to structural things related to use of stainless.

That is one reason I would only use stainless on a scoped target rifle
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2011, 12:07:37 PM »
You won't find as  many light profiled Stainless barrels , and when you do they are not as light as the standard lightweight due to structural things related to use of stainless.

That is one reason I would only use stainless on a scoped target rifle

Yep...that may be the deal breaker for this PSA kit.

Fly