< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: What spurred you to act?  (Read 2748 times)

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
What spurred you to act?
« on: July 09, 2011, 09:59:39 PM »
One of the reasons I made a decision to learn all I could about self defense and fight to legalize concealed carry was the murder of my good friend and Trap Doubles league team mate Gary "Casey" Jones.

Rest in peace old buddy

Two men arrested for murder at gun shop By Michelle StarrStaff writer
  Published: Friday, February 25, 2000
Updated: Saturday, November 29, 2008 03:11

The family of Gary "Casey" Jones might sleep a little easier knowing two men were arrested Wednesday in connection with Jones' murder.
 Jones, 51, of Ceresco, was shot and killed at Acher Arms, 1334 S. 33rd St., Jan. 28 during a robbery.

Jones was a reputable gun salesman with about 27 years in the business, said his former employer, Davis Mosby of Lincoln. Davis owned the now-defunct Gun Rack, where Jones worked for 25 years before his employment at Acher Arms.

Lincoln Police, with the help of a Crimestoppers tip, arrested Nathan Pendell and Monte Siddens shortly before 4 p.m. in connection with Jones' death. Both suspects are 21 and live at 1132 N. 55th St.

Lincoln Police Chief Tom Casady would not say when the Crimestoppers tip was received or what information was included in the tip.

Jones' widow, Carolyn, said she was relieved that the police had made an arrest, and she thought it might help with the healing process.
 "All I can say is (Casey) was a good guy," Carolyn Jones said.
 "The wheels of justice are turning," she said. "Justice is being served if they caught the men that did it."
 The arrests were made without incident, Casady said.
 Lancaster County Attorney Gary Lacy said he will file charges against the two men today. Bond was set at $1 million cash for each man, court documents said.
 According to documents submitted in county court Thursday, Siddens confessed during questioning Wednesday that he shot Jones during an exchange of gunfire between he and Jones.

Based on the investigation, the two men allegedly planned a robbery at the store, which resulted in the death of Jones and two bullet wounds to Siddens, Casady said.

A gun that was stolen from the store and used in the murder was found in the suspects' possession during their arrests. But Casady would not say where police found the weapon.  Court documents said that in Pendell's testimony to police, Siddens allegedly told Pendell that he had gotten rid of the gun.

According to information gathered during the investigation, Siddens entered the gun shop - minutes before the store was to close at 6 p.m. - carrying a loaded magazine that fits into the .22-caliber rifle taken from the store, Casady said.
Siddens allegedly loaded the gun he found in the store and confronted Jones, Casady said.  According to court documents, Siddens told police that when he showed the weapon, a gunfight ensued.

Casady said sometime during the confrontation, Jones, who had a .38-caliber special revolver, fired five shots, two of which hit Siddens in his stomach and shoulder. Siddens had fired nine shots, Casady said.  According to court documents, Jones was shot several times and died from a gunshot wound to the head.  Both bullets wounding Siddens entered and left his body, Casady said.
Neither of Siddens' wounds incapacitated him, and he allegedly left the gun store with the victim on the floor.

Siddens, who had not sought medical attention for the wounds, was still recovering at his home when he was arrested at 3:50 p.m. Wednesday, Casady said.

Jones was found on the floor of the store by Mark Hatten, a customer who was picking up some guns for the annual Black Powder Gun Show at the State Fair Park that weekend. Hatten then called police, and Jones was pronounced dead at the scene.  The robbery and shooting are not thought to be related to the weekend gun show, Casady said.

According to the investigation, Pendell was waiting for Siddens outside in a truck, Casady said.  Pendell was arrested at 3:45 p.m. Wednesday at Madsen's, 4700 Dudley St.  The court documents also stated that during questioning Pendell said when Siddens returned to the truck, he told Pendell he thought he had killed Jones. Pendell then reportedly took Siddens home.  The men are thought to originally be from Iowa, and Casady said it was unknown how long the two had been in Lincoln.

They both have criminal records in Nebraska, including Pendell's Jan. 6 arrest for felony possession of a controlled substance with the intent to deliver. He allegedly had 14 grams of methamphetamine, eight empty syringes, eight empty bags, two scales and a black knife at the time of his arrest for attempting to shoplift a pack of cigarettes at Super Saver, 233 N. 48th St., court documents said.

That same day he also was arrested for misdemeanor offenses including possession of drug paraphernalia, carrying a concealed weapon and concealing merchandise. Prosecution was declined in the misdemeanor charges.  Pendell appeared in court Wednesday on a motion for a court appointed lawyer for the drug charges.  The charge is still pending and bond was set at 10 percent of $5,000.

Casady said drugs, particularly meth, were either directly or indirectly involved in the murder, but he had no reason to believe the two were on the drug at the time of the murder.  Casady said he also was concerned about the growing popularity of the drug in Lincoln and throughout the state, especially because of its involvement in serious crimes.

Siddens was arrested and found guilty of a misdemeanor charge for concealing merchandise on Jan. 6. According to court records, he was fined in county court for $100.
 Though arrests for the murder have been made, the investigation is on-going, Casady said.  The two suspects remain in Lancaster County jail. Casady credited Lincoln Police detective's hard work and the Crimestoppers tip for the arrests.

"I can tell you, until we got the information (from Crimestoppers), they weren't suspects," he said. The two arrests came a day before a press conference for a task force research into substance abuse treatment. The task force concluded that in improving the substance abuse treatment for prisoners, people on probation and on parole would benefit the community, and in turn reduce the number of repeat offenders, said Kathy Seacrest of the task force Thursday morning.

Though Casady was not knowledgeable about the task force and its findings he did think it sounded positive.  "I'm all in favor of more treatment," he said.

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

A-FIXER

Re: What spurred you to act?
« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2011, 02:37:00 AM »
What a read.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 09:08:42 AM »
HMMM, I guess I can't say it was any one eye opening event like Dan's, more of a series of events thing.  My youngest brother got his CCW when after it was passed in Kansas and the rest of the fellas in my family followed suit.  So I did the logical thing a went and bought a .45. I started researching CCW in Nebraska and lo and behold it too was recently put on the books. Cruised the CCWNE forums along with a few other national type websites,  Started paying a little more attention to what was going on around the 'neighborhood; so to speak.  Then I stumbled onto this NFOA thing, got my CHP, and came to realize there is much work to be done.  Basically we need to reverse decades of decay to our basic human rights, especially those set forth in our own nation's constitution.
The one constant thought throughout my little journey to this point has been my children. Not only am I hell bent on protecting their lives, but also their future!  When folks ask 'why are you so into all these things (NFOA, PGR, BSA), you are burning the candle at both ends!' It's because of my love for our children.  I will do everything within my power, to leave them a future, a nation with all the opportunities envisioned by our forefathers.
β€œIt is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2011, 09:35:43 AM »
A few years ago I screwed up my back pretty bad and had to have surgery.  After I was recovered the doctor told me I had better get in shape or it would happen again.  So, I started running and biking.  At the time I was working long hours so all my running was after dark.  I live in a nice neighborhood but one of the sketchier parts of Lincoln isn't far away.  There was no single moment that convinced me, but I came to the realization that I was vulnerable running by myself at night.  Plus, with my bad back I don't have much fight in me.  One hit in the wrong area and I'm down. 

That got me thinking about personal safety in general.  I finally realized that while our police do a fine job, their job is not to prevent crime from happening.  They can't be everywhere at once.  All they can do is catch the criminal after the fact.  I alone am responsible for the safety of myself and my family.  And bad things can happen anywhere, anytime.  A couple weeks ago a man was assaulted and robbed at knifepoint 7 blocks from my house, on a busy street at 9:00 PM while it was still light.

So, I carry.  It's for the same reason that I put on a seatbelt when I drive.  I will almost certainly make it to the store and back without getting in an accident, but you never know when a drunk driver will blow a stoplight and T-bone you.

Offline Mike M.

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2011, 10:14:09 AM »
I had a brother in law who was killed during a carjacking down in Arkansas back in 88. Since then have always carried while traveling to help set my wife at ease. Also have a nephew whose step son got tied up with some not so good people and, some threats had been made to the family.Then theres all the seemingly random shootings in Omaha. And then..... and then. It was just time to become legal.
Mike

USAF 82-88, American Legion, NFOA,  NRA

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2011, 01:23:49 PM »
Once I purchased my handgun, I started noticing how many people are outside their homes when something goes wrong and they get attacked.  I have a wife and 5 year old, and decided there was no way I'd go down without a hellova fight to save them.  Now, unless I am going to work (I'm a teacher, so no carrying there) I'm armed.  I guess the simplest version would be I went from a sheep to a sheepdog.
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2011, 07:59:52 PM »
In my younger years defending myself was possible provided I didn't get stupid. Now days that just isn't true anymore. In my neighborhood people have been mugged jogging or just walking to the store. If it was just "give me the money" it would be one thing but most of the time now its a stomping that goes along with it. I am too old to stop this and don't want to spend what time I have left as a cripple because some scum wanted my money and a few kicks to boot. I would rather deal with the fall out from shooting an attacker, I am not kidding myself about the fact that my life will still be forever changed by this, than with having been beaten. So I took the option to arm myself and train as best I am able to resist if at all possible. 

Offline Clint

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2011, 10:43:51 PM »
I went from a sheep to a sheepdog.

Now that is an excellent statement! Thanks for that.

Offline Waltherfan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2011, 02:57:23 PM »
I got mine because I wanted to be able to legally carry while deer hunting. I frequently hunt alone and have found what I believe to be mountain lion tracks in my hunting area. After the incident at von Maur, I realized bad things can happen here and I carry more often.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2011, 04:47:28 PM »
My sister was attacked.  Even if I had been there, unarmed, i wouldn't have been able to do anything.  Now, after years of training in martial arts, and firearms, that will never happen to another while i am around.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2011, 07:36:20 PM »
I got mine because I wanted to be able to legally carry while deer hunting. I frequently hunt alone and have found what I believe to be mountain lion tracks in my hunting area. After the incident at von Maur, I realized bad things can happen here and I carry more often.

I hear you there about the mountain lions.  Even thoug NG&P denies it every time one is reported I know they are present in the area where I hunt.  One of my dad's neighbors caught one on a game camera.  I'm carrying a handgun while hunting from now on.  I figure if one really wants me I won't see it coming and my only chance is to pull a pistol and shoot it off my back.  Not a very likely scenario, but I'd rather not take a chance while I'm distracted and up to my elbows in guts while field dressing a deer.

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2011, 02:51:33 PM »
I've always loved guns, but when this bastard broke into my parents house in North Central Kansas, stoled two Ruger 1022s, my Norinco SKS, and a video recorder with my son's eighth birthday party on it, I realized that I never wanted to be in a position that I couldn't defend myself or my family. He pawned one of the Ruger 1022s in Laramie Wyoming, which is why he was stopped at Sutherland.

Thank God my mom came to Kearney that morning to see me. She woke up and couldn't wait to leave the house, maybe God was at work that day.

Survivalist Sought in a Killing Is Arrested
Published: February 16, 2000

The search for a Texas survivalist wanted in the killing of a farmer and the wounding of two law officers in Nebraska ended tonight when the fugitive was wrestled to the ground after entering a couple's house.

The suspect, Charles Lannis Moses Jr., had been the subject of a three-day manhunt that began in western Nebraska. Mr. Moses, a 31-year-old construction worker, was accused of shooting two Nebraska police officers on Saturday and gunning down a farmer on Monday.

He was spotted in Lusk at about 1:30 p.m. today, and was pursued by state troopers, county deputies and the F.B.I. He crashed his vehicle into a ditch and fled into a remote, hilly area of scattered ranches.

Mr. Moses was caught around 8:40 p.m. after entering a farmhouse, where the occupants wrestled a firearm away from him and called the police, said Sgt. Troy McLees of the Wyoming State Patrol.

Mr. Moses was taken to a hospital for injuries he had suffered in a shootout with Nebraska officers on Saturday night, Sergeant McLees said.
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 08:16:15 AM »
As I age, my once blazing speed is diminishing (which wasn't all that blazing when it was blazing speed).  Have to compensate for that somehow. 

I simply wanted to learn to shoot handguns better and wasn't satisfied with my progress on my own.  The Internet told me about the existence of Thunder Ranch.  I signed up, expecting to learn to become a better shot.  Well, I did learn some fundamentals but what I received was an education on "mindset."  Never before had I really considered how truly alone we are and who ultimately is responsible for our own personal safety. 

And oh yeah, the importance of practice was highlighted.   

"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller