< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Inspect your leather holster...  (Read 1058 times)

Offline omaharj

• social catalyst
  • Powder Benefactor
Inspect your leather holster...
« on: May 30, 2011, 09:33:28 AM »
http://www.itstactical.com/warcom/firearms/safety-warning-worn-leather-holsters-can-cause-accidental-discharges/
I don't remember seeing this here... If it's a duplicate thread I'd appreciate it if Dan deletes this one...
    Failure to exercise due diligence in the upkeep/inspection of your holster may result in a ND. Looks like the trigger guard didn't completely cover the trigger :o
   How long do holsters generally last? I hadn't thought they wore out. I only have a Kydex. Would you sell a heavily used holster to someone else?
   Anyway, the guy said he just needed a band aid, I think he wanted to minimize the incident. I'm sure he needed a bit of Bactine also.........and some clean underwear.   RJ

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
Re: Inspect your leather holster...
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2011, 10:59:20 AM »
That is not what I would call a proper holster.  Looks more like a leather pouch to me.

If you use a crappy holster, you should expect crappy results.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2011, 11:37:59 AM »
I can tell you that there is no way I could wear that with a clean conscious.  Looks like there would be no retention to that thing what so ever.  Negligent just wearing it.
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2011, 12:31:57 PM »
The holster was probably fine when it was new.  Looking at the one picture closely it is a Galco so wasn't really a piece of junk.

The bigger problem was the guy kept using it and dealing with a problem he knew he had instead of rectifying it and getting a new or better one.

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2011, 12:48:51 PM »
I should clarify, I don't have a issue with using a holster like that new when it maintains retention, but that was a few years past its prime.

Edit: After looking at it again I do not see how that thing would be very good new.  Doesn't look like it would have any positive retention out of the package.
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2011, 03:34:04 PM »
I undid my belt and slid the Galco JAK202 Slide Belt Holster, with the gun still in it, off my belt.

He's lucky that gun didn't go off again.  That was no accidental discharge.  That was a negligent discharge.

Offline rluening

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2011, 03:41:34 PM »
An interesting take on the story: http://straightforwardinacrookedworld.blogspot.com/2011/05/glock-galcoholster-accidental-safety.html

I don't have a horse in this race. Just thought it would add another viewpoint.

I'd get rid of a holster that even looked like it could interact with the trigger.

/rl

Offline omaharj

• social catalyst
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 05:10:47 PM »
I'm embarrassed :-[..... and gullible.

Thanks Rluening

Offline rluening

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2011, 05:44:59 PM »
omaharj - Don't be. I wasn't calling you out on anything. It's just another guy's thoughts on the issue.

I think the story is a bit suspect, but still plausible. Is he covering for a ND? Maybe. In fact, probably. On the other hand, maybe not. I think the link I posted suggests he finds the story very unlikely, but he also admits strange things happen.

Dunno. I mostly carry in leather backed kydex hybrids. But more importantly I try to make sure there's nothing (holster, shirttail, finger, small snake, drawstring, etc) in the trigger guard.

/rl

/rl

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #9 on: June 01, 2011, 12:14:15 AM »
When holstering my PX4 I do my best to make sure there is nothing that might get caught on the trigger.  As an added layer of safety, I make sure to watch the hammer as I am sliding it into the holster.  If the hammer starts to move, I will know something is amiss.  For me, that is one benefit to hammer fired handguns.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 08:32:07 AM »
The only Leather belt holster I have is never used, only a CCW class prop.

I do use a Galco ankle glove, which is VERY worn, but no even close to being so worn that this would happen.

I mainly put my trust in Kydex holsters.