< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Have you hugged a veteran today?  (Read 1043 times)

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Have you hugged a veteran today?
« on: July 15, 2011, 10:16:28 PM »
Maybe not directly related to gun rights, but directly related to the protection of our rights as Americans.
From MP today:

http://midwestpatriot.blogspot.com/2011/07/have-you-hugged-your-veteran-today.html

HAVE YOU HUGGED YOUR VETERAN TODAY?
Yesterday we had the unfortunate honor to help lay to rest a young serviceman. This forever young 20 year old seemingly brought home more baggage than he could handle and took his own life.  I don't know the whole situation, but it is a grave reminder that we as a nation, and individually, need to let our warriors know that we support them.  We need to support them when they are on the battlefield, but more importantly when they come home.  Not only have they faced demons in the field, but there are many awaiting them upon returning home. There is trying to return to civilian life, family life, jobs and for too many the financial 'wolf' knocking at the door.  A most infuriating fact is that many of our men (and women) may come home to an broken home.  Too many heroes have come home only to be greeted by nothing more than divorce papers and looming court battles. (biting tongue to rant no further)

It is OUR duty as American citizens to thank our military everyday for walking through Hell so that we may live in relative peace.  I was thinking just today while riding:  "A handshake and a Thank You wouldn't kill you, but what they do for you, just very well could kill them!"

Reminder to our veterans; There are many avenues for assistance, please utilize them and most importantly don't be afraid to ask for help, we will all find a way to get through it.  That's what America does best!

(reprinted with permission of author  ;) )
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Re: Have you hugged a veteran today?
« Reply #1 on: July 16, 2011, 01:37:55 AM »
While I was never deployed, every single one of my friends who have ever served overseas in a wartime setting have been told in no uncertain terms that i will buy the first two if they find the need to talk.  A good friend of mine is actually in Kuwait as of yesterday morning.  Another has already recieved his orders for Afghanistan. Same invitation will be extended to them upon thier return.

Our veterans have an amazing network available, which was unfortunately not available to my friends coming back from Viet Nam.  (no, i am not that old, i just get along better with an older generation than my own). 

If only they knew it, we would have been celebrating his service, not mourning his loss while home on American soil.

RIP Brave Soldier, your sacrifice will not be in vain.  Know we remember, and may no others join you under the same circumstance.   
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2011, 10:26:27 AM »
i've never hugged a veteran but if i get the chance i always thanks them.

and talking about Nam... an old coworker of mine before he retired actually talked to me about his time over there and coming back.  i was told he had never talked to anyone about it.  maybe because i took interest in it.  he told me on his trip back he remembers a lady on the plane, she was nice until she found out he was a soldier, then she turned really mean and basically said he was a baby killer.  i hope society is much better today.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2012, 05:31:39 PM »
As much as I hate to admit it, tears come to my eyes when I read about our boys being killed in the wars in the middle east (or anywhere else for that matter).  I have not hugged any vets today, because I haven't come across any.  (No one has hugged me, either :().

It really doesn't matter, as far as I'm concerned, whether you believe a war is justified or not.  When your sons and daughters, mothers and fathers, aunts and uncles, brothers and sisters, neighbors and friends, join the military (drafted or enlisted) and end up giving their lives for their country, you should be proud of them and honor their commitment.

The ones dying are not the ones that decided to fight in the first place.  They may join for various reasons: patriotism (look at the enlistment figures after Pearl Harbor), drafted, best job they could find, or whatever.  It really doesn't matter.  They deserve our respect, whether we agree with the government that put them at risk, or not.

Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2012, 06:08:38 PM »
+1
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2012, 06:16:52 PM »
Not today,

But I have been known to buy a lunch or two. ;)
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline Wilson

• NFOA Full Member
  • Not as lean...Not as mean...Still a Marine!
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2012, 06:28:41 PM »
My wife did...she hugged me!   ;D

When I was in Branson during Veterans week, I gave many hugs. One vet from Keh San (spelling) I talked with who left Nam and 2 weeks later was on the streets of his small town. No one was there to help him. I thanked him, gave  him a man hug and prayed a blessing on him...he held on tight for a bit! Bought a WW II vet a hot chocolate at one of the shows.