< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Nebraska CHP renewal information  (Read 39072 times)

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Nebraska CHP renewal information
« on: July 24, 2011, 05:29:28 PM »
Here it is...

Preliminary information  that I hope will clear up some of the questions surrounding the CHP renewal process that will officially get under way on August 1, 2011
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Nebraska CHP renewal information
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2011, 07:15:36 PM »
The following information is TENTATIVE from the Nebraska State Patrol  regarding the renewal process for Concealed Handgun Permits.

Final rules for renewal will be posted at the NSP website soon, but are not finalized at this time. 

http://statepatrol.nebraska.gov/ConcealCarry.aspx

Since the first permits were issued in January 2007, those permits will be due for renewal here very soon.

• The Nebraska State Patrol  WILL NOT BE SENDING REMINDERS to permit holders when it is time to renew. This responsibility falls squarely on the shoulders of the permit holder. The cost of the Renewal Permit is $50
  • Current permit holders may apply for a “Renewal” permit up to FOUR months prior to their permit expiring. Keep in mind there is NO GRACE PERIOD AT ALL, if you allow your permit to expire  you will no longer qualify for a renewal,  and you must go through a new training class and apply for a new $100 permit.
  • Renewal Permits will likely take the full 45 days to renew, so it is recommended that you apply for your renewal NO LESS THAN ONE MONTH before it expires. Applying at least 45 days before expiration should definitely cover you.
  • Applicants DO NOT need to take another training class. They also will NOT be required to present any proof of  training certificate when applying for a renewal permit.
  • Applicants must apply for the renewal permit IN PERSON at the Nebraska State Patrol Troop Headquarters or the  Lincoln CID office. You will be fingerprinted and photographed again for the renewal permit.
  • Applicants must bring your Drivers License and current NE Concealed Handgun Permit with you when applying for a renewal. (you will not need the birth certificate or passport again). Military members WILL need to bring a copy of their current “Permanent Duty Station Orders” when applying for a renewal
  • The Nebraska State Patrol will allow you to keep your current Concealed Handgun Permit while you are waiting for the Renewal permit to arrive (allowing you to continue to carry), however they will likely request that you mail in and return the old permit once the new one comes to you.

Thanks to

Chris Zeeb
NE Firearms Training, LLC
www.NebraskaConcealedCarry.com

For gathering this information for the NFOA

Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2011, 07:23:52 PM »
The first issue I had with this information is that the current statute calls for a 5 day turn a round process for renewals.

011.02 An application for renewal must be completed by permit holder affirming that the permit holder still meets all current requirements for obtaining a permit. The application must be accompanied with the appropriate fee. All applications for renewal will be cleared through the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) to assure continuing compliance with statutory requirements. The permit will be renewed and reissued within five (5) working days of receipt of the application valid for a five year period from the date of expiration of the initial permit.

While I understand that the one person processing the permits is buried under stacks of applications, rules are rules >:D
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2011, 09:31:51 PM »
I see in the statute Dan quotes that the five year renewal period runs from "the date of expiration of the initial permit."  Sounds like you might not loose anything by applying early for the renewal permit.

Is that right?

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2011, 09:38:35 PM »
I quoted that directly from the Administrative Code, so Yes, I have to say that is right and the way I read it
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2011, 09:49:17 PM »
Unfortunately State Government (like most branches of Govt), is not real fast to get people replaced and fill positions that are needed.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2011, 06:23:06 AM »
Good info!  Thanks!  My two digit license expires right soon.  Can't believe it's been 5 years already. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline Clint

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2011, 08:28:38 AM »
This brings up things I hadn't thought of before. The new photo kind of makes sense, not sure about them needing new finger prints though. Kind of seems like overkill. What about Utah? Will they need a new photo also? Or prints? Don't remember what it said on the app now. Have to look that up. The Arizona permit doesn't even have a photo on it.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2011, 11:53:06 AM »
The reason NSP is doing prints is only because their system requires the to print individuals when photographing someone.

Utah only needs the photo for renewal, no prints

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: September 09, 2011, 07:18:40 PM »
As my CHP renewal falls into the 4 month renewal period tomorrow, thought I would swing by NSP CID this afternoon just to see if I could turn in paperwork, get printed, etc.  After attempting to renew, I was told I could not until next week.  The problem lay in the fact there "system" was not set up yet for renewal.  Specifically, the required 5 day turnaround to issue renewals.  So....magically something will happen on Monday to allow for renewals.  Have been assured that Monday they will proceed with said renewals. 

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #10 on: September 09, 2011, 07:57:25 PM »
Thanks for the update... I was almost going there this afternoon, but I got a call about some rifles I needed to pickup.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #11 on: October 10, 2011, 12:08:55 PM »
Can anyone confirm that your application must still be notarized?
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #12 on: October 10, 2011, 04:28:01 PM »
Can anyone confirm that your application must still be notarized?

This from the state patrol website...yes.  However, I don't know personally, mine isn't up for renewal yet.

http://statepatrol.nebraska.gov/ConcealHowToApply.aspx
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2011, 07:39:06 AM »
Yes, it must be notarized.   Received my renewal in about 8 days total.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2011, 08:55:33 AM »
Yes, it must be notarized.   Received my renewal in about 8 days total.

That is just odd.  You have to apply in person, so you could provide the desired forms of ID to the State Patrol office.  What is some Notary going to do that is more official?  Look at your ID, sign the paper, and put their seal on it.  Is this bureaucracy at its finest, or am I missing something here?

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2011, 10:06:23 AM »
"That is just odd.  You have to apply in person, so you could provide the desired forms of ID to the State Patrol office.  What is some Notary going to do that is more official?  Look at your ID, sign the paper, and put their seal on it.  Is this bureaucracy at its finest, or am I missing something here?"

Funny.....they do look at your DL/ID at CID.  That being said, a notary is just verifiying your signature is your signature...that's all. 

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2011, 10:16:11 AM »
Dan W, Chris Z, or others who might have contacts in the Nebraska State Patrol,

Would the State Patrol be receptive to a suggestion that this is an unnecessary step when we are already providing our current ID and CHP to their office when applying?  Or is this written into the statute?

Edited to add: We are providing an ID and also getting finger printed.  And they need a notary to verify it is our signature!?  Please help me understand.

Fly
« Last Edit: October 11, 2011, 10:18:35 AM by OnTheFly »
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2011, 10:28:09 AM »
Renewals should be pretty easy.  The statute requires a full criminal check for the initial permit, but renewals go through NICS.

Also, the statute doesn't appear to require a notarized signature.  The requirement is imposed by NSP and they could remove it if they want to.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2011, 10:52:54 AM »
Renewal was so simple it takes more time to complain about the process.....

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2011, 12:08:44 PM »
Simple, yes but it costs me another hour of my time to get the notary to sign off.

ETA I already have to take time off from work to get it done
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder