< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Nebraska CHP renewal information  (Read 39291 times)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
Re: Nebraska CHP renewal information
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2011, 12:41:34 PM »
Simple, yes but it costs me another hour of my time to get the notary to sign off.

ETA I already have to take time off from work to get it done

I would be happy to compose a letter as an individual to the Nebraska State Patrol laying out the redundancy, but I was hoping someone in the NFOA might have a rapport with the NSP.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2011, 12:52:46 PM »
Contact Chris Z
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2011, 08:03:48 PM »
I have emailed the question to someone I know, that knows someone, that knows someone.... I will post the reply when I get it.

My suspicion is, this is just a technicality..... A requirement to CYA on the state patrol's side. For example if someone lies on, or falsifies their application I would guess the fact that they signed it in front of a notary would stand up in court a little better than the clerk at the counter of NSP would......

People have a difficult time following instructions.... At every single class I teach, I instruct everyone right away and multiple times... "DO NOT SIGN THE APPLICATION, YOU MUST SIGN IT IN FRONT OF A NOTARY".... And guess how many times I have someone bring their application up and say, "Uh I guess I didn't listen well, I already signed this"????????? Almost every single class there is at least one.

I am guessing by requiring the application to be notarized, it is helping the clerks at the NSP office by giving them a clear black and white line...... Its either signed and notarized or its not.

Otherwise, every single day the clerks would deal with... "Oh come on, just take it, I just signed it"....... Then if there is something wrong or falsified, the clerk could not honestly testify that they watched the applicant sign it.

Heck, maybe I'm overthinking it.... Maybe there is no real good reason it is done... But I'll post the answer when I get it!

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2011, 08:10:09 PM »
My real problem with the rule is that it is not required by statute, yet NSP rules that it is, while on the other hand the NSP refuses to change a signage rule without specific language in the statute.

Either the NSP has the power to make up the rules or they do not...choose one and stick with it
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2011, 09:53:27 PM »
My real problem with the rule is that it is not required by statute, yet NSP rules that it is, while on the other hand the NSP refuses to change a signage rule without specific language in the statute.

Either the NSP has the power to make up the rules or they do not...choose one and stick with it

Chris Z...I bet you are right.  I can see them coming up with that answer.  Hopefully, they are not a member on the forum so they now know how to answer the question.  ;D Considering how people are, I can see this as a legitimate CYA policy.  I would probably come up with the same policy myself after dealing with several applicants who wanted me to accept the form when they did not sign it in front of me.  With this rule, it is on the notaries shoulders to enforce the rule.

Dan W...I agree with your statement.  Let me also add (and I know this may sound lame and cheap on my part) that I don't like anyone making up a rule that adds to the expense of me exercising my rights.  Whatever a notary charges ($5, 10, 15?), it is not fair that I have to tack this on to my bill.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2011, 10:04:37 PM »
The clerk can verify my identity by use of a Nebraska drivers license, verifies the quality of my finger prints, verifies the application is properly filled out, takes my picture and checks my background via NICS,  but they draw the line at watching me sign my name ???
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline rluening

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2011, 11:42:24 PM »
Heck, maybe I'm overthinking it.... Maybe there is no real good reason it is done... But I'll post the answer when I get it!

Honestly... I think it's just another hoop to make people jump through. For some reason I always end up putting off things that need to be notarized... and I am a notary!

/rl

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #27 on: October 12, 2011, 07:14:44 AM »
It may be that they use the same form

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #28 on: October 12, 2011, 07:20:58 AM »
It may be that they use the same form

Yes, the same form is used for initial application, renewal, personal data change, and replacement for lost or stolen permits.

http://statepatrol.nebraska.gov/forms/ccw/CCW_NSP1710_Application.pdf

The notarization requirement is not a big deal to me.  My bank(and most banks, I'm sure) will notarize anything I bring in at no charge to me.   

I'd much rather put more effort towards doing away with CCW permits altogether and work towards Constitutional Carry here in Nebraska than worrying about getting the application form notarization eliminated.

« Last Edit: October 12, 2011, 07:27:09 AM by FarmerRick »
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline greg58

• Lead Benefactor
« Reply #29 on: October 13, 2011, 08:55:11 PM »
Here is a novel Idea.
A guy I work with just showed me his new IA CCW permit, and they used the same photo as his drivers license.
Apparently the State of IA can share such things between agencies.
Wouldn't it be grand if we could just mail in our renewal and NSP could access our DL info and print a pic??

Greg58
Pants Up!  Don't Loot!

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #30 on: October 13, 2011, 09:15:57 PM »
Here is a novel Idea.
A guy I work with just showed me his new IA CCW permit, and they used the same photo as his drivers license.
Apparently the State of IA can share such things between agencies.
Wouldn't it be grand if we could just mail in our renewal and NSP could access our DL info and print a pic??

Greg58

One catch is the requirement to be fingerprinted again
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #31 on: October 14, 2011, 06:24:39 AM »
One catch is the requirement to be fingerprinted again

Mine used to change quite often when I was still wrenching.  The smell of melting flesh is not a pleasant one.  :o
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #32 on: October 14, 2011, 08:54:43 AM »
Mine used to change quite often when I was still wrenching.  The smell of melting flesh is not a pleasant one.  :o

The welding occupation will do that to you, too.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #33 on: October 14, 2011, 11:02:53 AM »
I would have thought it would have been simple to keep your same number just like our DL that doesn't change.  I miss my single digit

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #34 on: October 14, 2011, 12:43:01 PM »
I would have thought it would have been simple to keep your same number just like our DL that doesn't change.  I miss my single digit

The # changes?   Dammit!   Mine was a double digit.   Oh well. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #35 on: October 21, 2011, 04:39:55 PM »
I finally had time to go out to the CID office today. Notarized app in hand.

The clerk took my ID and a check, looked over my app and then said "OK, thank you" and walked away. After a minute or two passed the clerk walks back and I say

" I need to get my photo and fingerprints taken, right?"

"Oh , yes... Sorry...it's Friday". ::)

Nicole took my prints... Very nice lady :D

BTW I asked about a time element and they said 5-10 days for a renewal tops
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2011, 06:46:50 PM »
BTW I asked about a time element and they said 5-10 days for a renewal tops
Got my renewed permit today... 4 business days - nice job Lincoln CID office!

The new permit expires 5 years from the expiration date of the old one, as I had  hoped would be the case, and after thoroughly reading the cover letter, I saw no request to return my old permit. I will put it in safe keeping in case that changes.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder

Offline sidearm1

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #37 on: October 30, 2011, 09:27:48 PM »
Went to renew, no trouble, no hassle, very nice people.  Before I left, the lady said don't forget to destroy your old permit when you get your new one or you can send it to us to destroy.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2011, 08:04:46 PM »
The gal that fingerprinted me@CID in Lincoln told me I had to mail my old permit in to the address on the back of the permit. 

So I did. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2011, 08:47:08 PM »
The gal that fingerprinted me@CID in Lincoln told me I had to mail my old permit in to the address on the back of the permit. 

So I did. 

Looks like a clarification is in order. 
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder