< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Nebraska CHP renewal information  (Read 39083 times)

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
Re: Nebraska CHP renewal information
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2011, 07:55:21 AM »
There is nothing in statute or rules for CHP created by NSP that require destruction or return of the old CHP

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2011, 01:22:33 PM »
I received the first Nebraska CHP in 2007, but I forgot what day it was when renewal time came around and was apparently the second to renew my permit.  It may be different at different locations, but my experience at the office in Lincoln was good.  It took a little longer than I would have hoped, with the new photo, fingerprints, and such, but all in all I was satisfied.  I went in on a Tuesday (late morning), and I had my new permit in my hand on Thursday afternoon (the same week).  I suppose the notary thing is a bit of overkill, but it's not that big of a deal.  I was told they could normally take care of it in the office, but in case their resident notary was off for the day, it would be prudent to get the application notarized ahead of time.  If you don't have access to a notary otherwise, call ahead and see what they say.  I miss my old 00001 number.  :(
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline David Hineline

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #42 on: January 22, 2012, 03:41:26 PM »
Just did my renewal in Norfolk, mine runs out end of month I should have done it earlier. The person doing the application prints etc. for me was also a Notary so she witnessed my signature. Said 5-7 days which means I will be carrying expired permit for a few days.
Machinegun owners blow thier load with one pull of the trigger

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #43 on: January 22, 2012, 04:41:30 PM »
Maybe you'll be lucky and get yours in about a day and a half like I did.
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.

Offline Poor Man

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #44 on: January 22, 2012, 09:56:16 PM »
I  negoitated my renewal form at Troop C office in Grand Island, Jan. 11, they made a new set of prints, accepted my $50,00 and said I'd get my renewal permit in about 12 weeks.

Absolutely nothing in the way of reason not to get a renewal immediately, or at  least a few days.
Not a traffic ticket or any contact with a LEO in 5 years ! !  Go figure huh ? :P
Most folks who get lost in thought are
stumbling around in unfamiliar territory

Law is not necessarily Justice: nor is Justice necessarily Legal

NRA Life Member; CCRKBA Life Member;Charter Member - Second Amendment Task Force. Member of Gun Owners of America. and, National
Ass'n for Gun Right

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #45 on: January 22, 2012, 10:41:58 PM »
I  negoitated my renewal form at Troop C office in Grand Island, Jan. 11, they made a new set of prints, accepted my $50,00 and said I'd get my renewal permit in about 12 weeks.

Absolutely nothing in the way of reason not to get a renewal immediately, or at  least a few days.
Not a traffic ticket or any contact with a LEO in 5 years ! !  Go figure huh ? :P

I would inform them that ignorance of the law is no excuse! They have 5 business days by statute to issue the renewal
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #46 on: January 22, 2012, 11:17:20 PM »
Mine took 2 weeks. Not a big deal since it wasn't expired until 2/20.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #47 on: January 23, 2012, 06:55:09 AM »
Poor Man....should you not get your permit RENEWAL within 5 business days allowing for weekends, you will be an exception and should file a complaint.  Let us know how it turns out because the SP has been adhering to the law even in the midst of the busy new permit applications.  Frankly, I will be surprised if you do not receive it within the prescribed time.

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #48 on: January 23, 2012, 10:20:30 AM »
I would inform them that ignorance of the law is no excuse! They have 5 business days by statute to issue the renewal

I was browsing the CC laws on the NE State Patrol's website and saw this under definitions... 

002 DEFINITIONS

002.02 “Calendar days” shall mean the total number of days counted from a calendar and shall include weekends and holidays.

Offline Poor Man

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #49 on: January 23, 2012, 06:55:43 PM »
Thanks everyone for your replys re: CHP renewal.  I rechecked the date on the receipt I was given at the State Patrol Troop C office.  It is plainly marked  1 / 11 / 12.  I applied in plenty of time,  my current permit expires 3 / 27 / 12.  I will wait a "reasonable" amount of time since the expiration date is not causing a problem for me. However, as I count days, it now is 12 days, somewhat more than    ( 5 )  huh?  THANKS AGAIN FELLOWS ! :)   ;)

NRA Life Member; CCRKBA Life Member;Charter Member - Second Amendment Task Force. Member of Gun Owners of America. and, National
Ass'n for Gun Right

Offline Poor Man

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #50 on: January 26, 2012, 09:32:43 AM »
After the recent discussion regarding the time frame involved in CHP renewal, I phoned Senator John Wightman's office and requested a "current and complete" copy of the CHP law.  Mr. Roger Keetle, aid, immediately mailed me a copy. Refering to this copy:  Section 69-2430  (3) (b)  "Beginning January 1, 2010, the permit to carry a concealed handgun shall be issued by the Nebraska State Patrol within forty-five days after the date an application for the permit has been made by the applicant if the applicant has complied with this section and has met all the requirements of section 69-2433."
      Note that the text doesn't mention "business days", simply "days".   Also, an inference may be taken that if a re-check of the applicant's criminal history record information check is deemed necessary. a time lag may be attributed to the check being delayed by the FBI.  Could it be that several doors have been left open in the event that the time frame runs beyond the "forty five days" ?  No immediate problem however, as previously stated, my permit is effective until 3/27/2012. ;)

Ass'n for Gun Right

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #51 on: January 26, 2012, 10:58:40 AM »
You need to read the "renewal" part. It is not the same as a new permit issue   

011.02 An application for renewal must be completed by permit holder affirming that the permit holder still meets all current requirements for obtaining a permit. The application must be accompanied with the appropriate fee. All applications for renewal will be cleared through the National Instant Criminal Background Check System (NICS) to assure continuing compliance with statutory requirements. The permit will be renewed and reissued within five (5) working days of receipt of the application valid for a five year period from the date of expiration of the initial permit.
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline Poor Man

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #52 on: February 11, 2012, 07:34:41 PM »
Yaa Hoooo!  I received my renewed CHP permit in today's mail.  The process only took exactly 30 days and one polite letter to the State Patrol asking them to please not forget me, my application, and my $ 50.00 ! ;D

Ass'n for Gun Right

Offline joemerchant24

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #53 on: February 13, 2012, 01:10:42 PM »
Poor Man....should you not get your permit RENEWAL within 5 business days allowing for weekends, you will be an exception and should file a complaint.  Let us know how it turns out because the SP has been adhering to the law even in the midst of the busy new permit applications.  Frankly, I will be surprised if you do not receive it within the prescribed time.

Going on 18 calendar days (was told 12-14 working days when I renewed). Apparently five days was meant to mean metric days or something.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #54 on: February 13, 2012, 01:56:10 PM »
Joe...you are now the second person with this "issue".  Under statute they have only 5 days....so something is certainly amiss at the Circle K. 

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #55 on: February 13, 2012, 04:00:57 PM »
Mine took almost a month - the problem is there is no provision for recourse in the law. If it takes longer than 5 days - which will be the case for the next several months when a large batch of renewals are due - there is nothing you can do about it. NSP doesn't get to it in 5 days - oh well.
I would be willing to bet if there was recourse such as if you permit isn't mailed in 5 days you get your permit AND a refund - they'd find a way to speed it up.

Offline red71

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #56 on: February 13, 2012, 04:07:21 PM »
Renewed 1-31, cash payment and was told 5-7 calender days......still no permit :(

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #57 on: February 13, 2012, 06:31:44 PM »
There is a state Senator's office looking into the issue with the extended delays getting renewals and permit issued. Hopefully they can help the nice folks at the NSP CID office get the appropriate level of staff to handle

Offline joemerchant24

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2012, 10:37:11 AM »
@Chris - Hopefully they can kick someone at CID into gear. Still no renewal and that's holding up my Utah renewal, too.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2012, 01:43:17 PM »
To any of you on this thread or on the forum period that DID NOT GET your permit or renewal within the time prescribed by state statute..... Please EMAIL me directly, your real name, the date you applied, where you applied (Which Troop location), the date you received your permit.

I have the ear of someone who will personally look into this situation, but needs specific examples.

My email is:    chrisz (at) nebraskafirearms (dot) org

Get this info to me ASAP please, and I will get back to my contact Monday