< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Nebraska CHP renewal information  (Read 39463 times)

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
Re: Nebraska CHP renewal information
« Reply #80 on: April 08, 2012, 02:16:45 PM »
How is having 93 county governments ignoring the law better than 1? 
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #81 on: April 08, 2012, 05:55:17 PM »
+1 Dan.....they can't even keep all the county roads open in Saunders County due to the bridges being in disrepair.  They're certainly not going to have the bones to fund employees for CHPs.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #82 on: April 09, 2012, 08:41:55 AM »
How is having 93 county governments ignoring the law better than 1? 

The hope would be that the sheriffs would have an easier time complying with the time set forth in the law than the NSP is having right now since they wouldn't have to deal with as many applications. Although I admit there would be potential for issues in the more populous counties such as Douglas, Lancaster, and Sarpy since those three would probably be dealing with the bulk of the permits.

Well and I suppose that these problems with NSP just gives us another pointer for down the road when we will argue for constitutional carry ;-)
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 08:44:31 AM by DanClrk51 »

Offline UPCrawfish

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #83 on: April 09, 2012, 09:05:24 AM »
Douglas Co. already has 'issues' just dealing with Permit To Purchase renewals.  It may have just been the clerk behind the window when I went to renew but it took 20 minutes for a 5 minute process.  When she ran the background check, she did not use my full legal name, she punched in 'initial' - 'initial' - 'last name' and got a 10 page printout which we had to go through with 20 plus names and me explaining why "I" was not that person on her sheet.  I mean, come on !!  A 6'2" Black male, 290#, in his late 20's.....  On a good day, I'm 5'7" 180# and WHITE !!   

Offline WESchultz

• Powder Benefactor
  • ENGC & NMA
« Reply #84 on: June 04, 2012, 10:29:00 PM »
Here’s a CHP RENEWAL TWIST I haven’t seen anyone mention in this post. And hopefully, this situation is bogus.

The 4 month renewal window opened up for my CHP renewal on 5/24/12. On 5/29/12 I went to the NE State Patrol Troop “A” HQ in Omaha and turned in all the required notarized paperwork, check the RENEWAL box, got a new photo taken, new fingerprints taken, showed them my old renewable CHP permit, they made a copy of my driver’s license, etc., covered all the bases like a good boy.

On Friday 6/1/12, received a letter from the NSP saying, “It has been determined that your Concealed Handgun Permit Application is incomplete.” To which I thought, there must be some airhead who doesn’t have a clue trying to process my CHP RENEWAL application. Which still may be true!!!

What the NSP letter requested was that I PROVE I’ve been a NE resident for the past 180 days. That just blew my mind having been a NE resident my entire life and that request just floored me. They wanted "what" on an already established RENEWAL for CHP permit?

Anyway, the NSP letter went on to state that, “What I needed to furnish the NSP to complete my CHP application was,”
1.   The original letter they sent to me saying the application was incomplete.
2.    I needed to also enclose Proof of 180 day Nebraska residency by furnishing either (a Utility bill OR Paystub, OR mortgage/bank statement dating back more than 180 days.)
I had the option to either mail it in to the NSP in Lincoln, or to again go to the NSP HQ in Omaha.

So, being a nice guy and being very pleasant about the whole situation, today, 6/4/12, I made copies of my utility bills that were over six months old. Then I made copies of both the NSP letter and the utility bill, so I had a set of required  paperwork for myself.

When I gave the girls in the NSP Troop "A" HQ Omaha office the required information I had them physically SIGN MY COPIES just in case the documentation would be needed somewhere down the line for future proof they did have all the required RENEWAL information.

When thinking about the situation, I asked the girls in the office WHY they didn’t ask me for proof of residency when I turned in my RENEWAL application. They told me that every once in a while the NSP randomly issues letters like the one I received (maybe they were just covering for someone). The 180 day requirement should only be on original new CHP applications IMO.

This is worth a thought, A driver’s license DOES NOT prove you have been living in NE for the last 180 days. Your CHP permit DOES NOT prove you have been living in NE for the last 180 days. I also told them to insure, that if RENEWAL applicants have to prove a they have been a resident for the past 180 days on a renewal application, they needed to start asking people for that information WHEN they apply for the RENEWAL, so the NSP wouldn’t have to write these bogus letters and waste my time and theirs.

I also asked them how long it would take for me to receive my CHP renewal. They told me it would probably be around 60 days, as that is why the NSP has a four month window established for renewals. I just said thank you and went on my way, before I said something I might regret. It will be interesting to see how long it takes to receive my CHP renewal, and I will update this post when I receive my renewal.
If you don't know your rights, you don't have any!

Offline cracked junior

• Forum Member
« Reply #85 on: June 05, 2012, 04:18:23 AM »
Why do you need proof of residency for renewal but not initial?   

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #86 on: June 05, 2012, 07:55:36 AM »
WESchultz...they have 5 WORKING days to renew your permit from the time you submit for said renewal....not "60 days" or any other random time because you renewed in the 4 month early period.  I would begin calling after 5 WORKING days and insist the abide by the LAW !!!

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #87 on: June 05, 2012, 08:54:16 AM »
There must be a big problem with Nebraskans getting a CHP and then moving out of state until it's time to renew.   ::)

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #88 on: June 05, 2012, 10:36:27 AM »
WESchultz...they have 5 WORKING days to renew your permit from the time you submit for said renewal....not "60 days" or any other random time because you renewed in the 4 month early period.  I would begin calling after 5 WORKING days and insist the abide by the LAW !!!

I, too, found myself wondering if any of the renewal folks had tried doing what several new-permit folks have done and call to set up a time to pick up the new CHP just after day 5. 
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline WESchultz

• Powder Benefactor
  • ENGC & NMA
« Reply #89 on: June 05, 2012, 11:48:05 AM »
FYI, Thanks for the advice. I did call the NSP in Lincoln today just to make sure they had everything on my CHP RENEWAL application and that it was being processed correctly.

They said YES, they had my RENEWAL application and it was right on schedule being processed as a RENEWAL, and I would definitely have it BEFORE my original CHP expires in September... Still interesting.... This is working day 5 giving them the benefit of the initial day my application was submitted 5/29/12.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #90 on: June 05, 2012, 12:32:34 PM »
2-3 days mail time....should have it by next Monday.... at the LATEST....I think you are justified in asking for it next Tuesday.

Offline WESchultz

• Powder Benefactor
  • ENGC & NMA
« Reply #91 on: June 08, 2012, 07:24:57 PM »
Received my CHP RENEWAL in the snail mail today 6/8/12. Nine days total from the time I turned in the required renewal application paperwork till I had the new renewed CHP in my hands. This includes the time spent dealing with their letter requesting proof of NE residency. I'm happy  ;D, their happy  ;D. Can't really complain about a nine day turnaround. All in all, I feel the NSP did a good job processing my renewal, etc.

That being said, I still wouldn't want anyone to wait until the last minute to apply for their CHP renewal.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #92 on: June 12, 2012, 11:02:21 AM »
What the NSP letter requested was that I PROVE I’ve been a NE resident for the past 180 days. That just blew my mind havig been a NE resident my entire life and that request just floored me. They wanted "what" on an already established RENEWAL for CHP permit?

Anyway, the NSP letter went on to state that, “What I needed to furnish the NSP to complete my CHP application was,”
1.   The original letter they sent to me saying the application was incomplete.
2.    I needed to also enclose Proof of 180 day Nebraska residency by furnishing either (a Utility bill OR Paystub, OR mortgage/bank statement dating back more than 180 days.)
I had the option to either mail it in to the NSP in Lincoln, or to again go to the NSP HQ in Omaha.

My four month renewal period is coming up on 06/24/2012 and I was just reading through the NE state patrol website renewal info. I saw that "proof of address" part and wondered the same thing. I remember when I got my initial permit that all they wanted was my drivers license and birth certificate.

My question is: How are some of us Nebraska residents supposed to prove this if our names are not on utility bills? I live with relatives in a single family home and do not deal with those bills.
And how does a paystub prove anymore than a drivers license that I'm a Nebraska resident? I could be living in Iowa and working in Nebraska. Also: The only way to get them a paystub is to print it off from the online workpaysite. They have not mailed our paystubs in paperform for some time now.
Also: How does any of the above documents from over 180 days ago prove that I am still a Nebraska resident right now (at the time of application)? Shouldn't they demand one document from over 180 days ago and another current document?

Has this happened to anyone else? Is this just a random thing like they told WESchultz? I dont want to just turn those docs in automatically without having been asked and then have them think they can make a habit of requiring it from everyone.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #93 on: June 12, 2012, 11:05:42 AM »
Personally I've never liked this 180 day residency requirement. Its obviously an arbitrary violation of the 2nd Amendment and many other states don't have this stupid clause. I think in Iowa you are deemed a resident as soon as you obtain an Iowa drivers license or an Iowa State ID card. Our law needs to be amended to do just that.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #94 on: July 21, 2012, 01:56:31 AM »
Update: Well I went into the state patrol to renew the permit on Tuesday June 26th 2012. Apparently your car registration also serves as proof of address/180 day residency, however she said since its just the renewal I dont have to worry about any of that. All she needed was to see my old permit, and my drivers license. She didnt need the birth certificate or the old training certificate or anything else, just the $50  ;) . The lady told me it would be 2-3 weeks. Then Thursday morning I went camping and came back Saturday and my permit was already at home. They issued it June 27th 2012. I guess they are finally caught up and following the law too. Thanks to all of you who called, emailed, and wrote the governor and the other officials. Thanks to you the state is following state law again.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 02:24:51 AM by DanClrk51 »

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #95 on: July 21, 2012, 08:15:02 AM »
Perhaps the NFOA should send a letter to the NSP thanking them for taking the necessary steps to correct the situation. 

I know they weren't meeting the requirements of the law and it took pressure to make them comply, BUT, it would certainly further a good relationship from here on in if we would show gratitude for their response.

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #96 on: July 21, 2012, 08:29:54 AM »
Plus 1 on Metaldoc.

I was just sitting here, thinking the same thing.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #97 on: July 21, 2012, 09:40:31 AM »
I have already formally reached out, not only to the NSP but to the ombudsmans office and Governors office to thank them for the assistance in getting things working properly.  Received a reply from the Ombudsmans office that they were surprised to get the thanks for doing their job.  Common courtesy is something that seems to be laking today.

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #98 on: July 21, 2012, 01:41:50 PM »
I have already formally reached out....

Thank you!    ( I had a feeling you probably took care of this.) 

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #99 on: July 21, 2012, 02:30:20 PM »
I have learned a few things, and this situation may have helped us for the future.