< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Note to Thieves: A lack of reconnaissance can lead to birdshot in the butt.  (Read 1117 times)

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
If you plan to rob someone ... you may want to make sure they're not a firm supporter of the Second Amendment.  :laugh:

Maybe they should have done a better job of casing the joint or perhaps figured out a more subtle way to enter than kicking in the door.

Three Omaha-area men were arrested after they allegedly took part in the burglary of a rural home in Malvern, Iowa.

But instead of making a clean getaway with armfuls of loot, they woke the farmer who promptly grabbed a shotgun, said Mills County Sheriff Eugene Goos.

As the men fled, the farmer fired, hitting one of them — Miguel Martinez, 30, of Council Bluffs — in his backside with birdshot, apparently while Martinez was outside the home, Goos said.

More at the link:  http://www.omaha.com/article/20110819/NEWS97/708199915

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
oh i love these little tidbits.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
It will be interesting to see if the Mills County Atty files charges against said farmer. 

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
Filing of criminal charges would not be surprising in this case.

The robber was fleeing the scene, not advancing upon the victim.

Robber got shot in the backside, not the frontside.   Basically, the Shooter used Lethal Force.    [Just didn't happen to be lethal in this case.]

However, it is Very Hard for the Shooter to offer the defense that he feared Great Bodily Harm or Loss of His Own Life when the Perp was actually running away from the scene of the crime.

Yeah--I know.    I think it would be a Crock, too.

But what we think is Good Sense and what is The Law thinks are often on separate tracks.

When I was a Kid---admittedly a While Ago---the Cops could call out, "Halt, or I'll Shoot!"    Then they could shoot.   And did.   Sometimes it was said that they got the order mixed up.

We live in different times.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
I agree, while the homeowner may have been morally right he made a bad legal decision.  I hope it works out for him but i fear it will not end well for him.

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
Unfortunately, this farmer may end up having charges filed, and that will just tell every worthless punk its ok to break into houses, so long as you get shot in the backside.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.