< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Situational Awareness  (Read 1165 times)

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
Situational Awareness
« on: July 31, 2011, 09:03:26 AM »
I'm a firm believer in the thing known as "situational awareness."  (as I'm sure the overwhelming majority of us are.) 

However, sometimes I wonder if I'm focusing on the correct input.  I mean, I try to take in the big picture as much as possible.  The "big picture" of course, will vary in size and scope depending on the environment.

For instance, a few weeks back, as I was exiting a large box store, I immediately began scanning the parking lot, taking in as much as possible.  Were there any oddly dressed individuals out there? (long coats in hot weather) Was there anyone focused on me?  Can I cross the lot without being run over?  Certainly there were folks closing on me as they entered the store but none intent on me, that I was aware of.  (Yes, I know, broad daylight, small town Nebraska, not likely at all for the time and place for trouble, but still I keep my head moving.) 

However, I did miss two gals I work with (cute ones at that) that were entering the store.  I saw them as people but I didn't register their faces and was already scanning elsewhere.

So I was surprised when I heard, "Hi Tim!"  I find I'm more focused on behavior and body language than the body nowadays. 

Of course, in a big outdoor scene, like a busy parking lot, I believe information overload could be a problem, particularly if you're only working with 4k of RAM to begin with. :)   

That same day, a short while later, found me down at the storage place, doing a little work on SuperBoat.  It's a lonely, desolate place located by the lovely and scenic coal train line. 

I'm busily pounding away on the trailer doing some delicate and precise alignment work with a 4 lb maul, when a truck rolled in and stopped in front of my storage unit.  Two unknown guys got out.  They looked friendly.  I noted their facial features but kept an eye on their hands.  Nothing about their body language caused me alarm.  I was friendly but focused.  (those of you who know me know what that means.) :)

Turns out they were there to meet with the owner, saw my car and thought I was him. 

In the first episode, I feel that I should have recognized the two gals I knew, but again, I'm busy trying to take in the whole scene.  Maybe I'm too intent and need to take in a little more detail?  Maybe I take this whole thing a bit too seriously?  :)  Better safe than sorry? 

The second scene, I thought I did okay. 

"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline Ghost

• Steel Benefactor
  • NRA Life Member - 1972
Re: Situational Awareness
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2011, 09:45:39 AM »
Good post.  Keeping your head on a swivel is a good plan.  I try to do the same most of the time, but sometimes my thinking gets engrossed in some current task or issue, and I'm lax at times.  I'm with you in thinking that continually sizing up people and your surroundings is something we should all work at, with the way things are today.

Ghost
A well-regulated militia, composed of the body of the people, trained to arms, is the proper, natural, and safe defense of a free State......George Mason

Offline 00BUCK

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2011, 01:46:37 PM »
The wife used to accuse me of not paying attention to her, or what she was saying, in situations like that. I'd try to explain to her that it is not intentional, and that my brain instinctively goes into "scan surroundings" mode when the environment changes. It wasn't until one time we were going into the mall that she finally got it. I always park WAY out so that hopefully door dings are reduced but mostly so I can see what (or who) is around my vehicle when I return. As we walked toward the entrance I grabbed her arm, pulled her towards a parked car and said "get down", positioning her so that the front tire and engine block would be somewhat of a shield. I crouched down behind her right as a cop jumped from his car, gun drawn, yelling for a guy to "get on his face". The guy was directly between us and the cop. Had I not seen that unfolding, and the cop decided to let loose, we would have been directly in the line of fire.

My point is, you are not at all out of line by not noticing your friends. Yeah they might find it odd that you didn't notice them but you are doing the right thing. The safety of you and your family are first and foremost. Vigilance can't and shouldn't be something you decide to use when you feel like it, it should be a constant and reactionary / instinctive thing.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2011, 02:32:30 PM »
Lorimer,
Were you wearing your official TR glasses?  That may be the problem  :)

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2011, 11:30:15 AM »
TR glasses?!?!?!  They make the front sight too fuzzy. :)
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2011, 12:51:38 PM »
No wonder Clint doesn't wear them while lecturing on his videos.....

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2011, 02:02:07 PM »
I think the best way I can verbalize the scan is "looking for something that isn't right".  I'm sure those two cute girls looked "right" ... perhaps VERY right.  ;D

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2011, 04:12:58 PM »
i dont keep the head on a swivel but my eyes are never on one place for very long.  I make note of nearly every single thing i see throughout the course of the day.  bad habit i guess:)
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.