< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Storm Damage  (Read 1805 times)

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
Storm Damage
« on: August 18, 2011, 07:59:03 PM »
Everyone safe out there ??   :-\
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline omaharj

• social catalyst
  • Powder Benefactor
Re: Storm Damage
« Reply #1 on: August 18, 2011, 08:25:22 PM »
Had some golf ball size hail,big winds, and heavy rains. Aside from a downspout coming loose, it appears we're safe. 
I'm in Florence... RJ

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #2 on: August 18, 2011, 08:31:15 PM »
Got out of Downtown Omaha just before the golf ball size hail!

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: August 18, 2011, 09:21:45 PM »
getting interesting here in lincoln, i got absolutely soaked in about 5 minutes going into the store.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2011, 10:12:47 PM »
Lots of wind and rain here in SW Lincoln.  Haven't heard any hail yet.
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2011, 06:12:38 AM »
Had plenty of rain and 50+ mph winds here south of Kennard, but no hail. 
They had tennis ball sized hail from Herman to Ft. Calhoun through Florence and into CB.
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2011, 06:31:17 AM »
Tornado warnings, sirens, wind and 1" of rain but no hail or tornadoes thank God. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2011, 08:43:42 AM »
One of the guys at work lives by Iowa Western CC. Got caught in the storm going home. Rear window is gone, hood looks like 40 miles of bad road, and there is a couple dents on the roof that looks like was hit with a sledge hammer. Nasty stuff   :angry:
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline MikeF72

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2011, 08:20:50 PM »
I was out of town on business and had my 04 Hyundai in the Long Term parking lot at Eppley Airfield.  Got quite the present when I returned today.  It was also quite the challenge drinig it home.  I was A LOT better off than most the cars around me.  Most had at least one window completely blown out so the rain could get in.  All of mine held out.  Thank goodness this my "beater" and is paid for!

[attachment deleted by admin]
All you need for happiness is a good gun, a good horse, and a good wife. - Daniel Boone

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2011, 07:06:52 PM »
Wife's new truck got about half a dozen hail dents over in CB.  Anyone ever used the dry ice trick to get the dents to pop back out on a vehicle? 
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2011, 08:25:31 PM »
Wife's new truck got about half a dozen hail dents over in CB.  Anyone ever used the dry ice trick to get the dents to pop back out on a vehicle? 

Story is that it does work, but I think the vehicle needs to be really hot, like sitting in the sun for a while, then I think you do circles around the dent and make your way to the center still doing circles. If doesn't work, there is a mobile PDR guy that is at our store every week doing used cars. I could get you his info if needed. He does good work, don't know about $$$$$

Ronald Reagan

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2011, 09:15:21 PM »
Story is that it does work, but I think the vehicle needs to be really hot, like sitting in the sun for a while, then I think you do circles around the dent and make your way to the center still doing circles. If doesn't work, there is a mobile PDR guy that is at our store every week doing used cars. I could get you his info if needed. He does good work, don't know about $$$$$

Well, we did get her Honda from you guys, koz. ;) Let me try dry ice first and if that doesn't work, I'll be looking for your guy's contact info.
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #12 on: August 20, 2011, 09:46:30 PM »
Wes the dry ice work lnike Koz discribed, but it dies not remove the streching that happens to the metal when dented, so there is still a slight dent there.  I have also heard that the paint in these spots, due to the metal changing shape, can release and cause it to chip off.  If I have insurance I would spend the extra and have it done professionally on a new or newer vehicle.  If its a 1990 f-150 that you just got for $500 then I might got the dry ice method.  Part of the reason is it needs to be a very hot day with the vehicle having spent a long time in the direct sun before it works.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #13 on: August 20, 2011, 10:37:55 PM »
We got lucky at our house in Lincoln, but mom & dad 3 hours north of here had some crop damage from the hail  :(

That's the life of a farmer....no need to go to Vegas when every day is a gamble.