< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: AAR- PTR "Fundamentals" class  (Read 690 times)

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
AAR- PTR "Fundamentals" class
« on: August 28, 2011, 09:38:45 AM »
I completed the PTR Handgun Fundamentals class yesterday. 

It was a good thing for me, even though my ego got bruised 'cause I got pushed out of my comfort zone.  (which is the purpose of any good training.) 

Your ego is not your amigo.

Once again, the notion of "index" got hammered home.  For example, using contact between elbows and the body during mag swaps to provide consistent landmarks, and ultimately, faster and smoother reloads.

The phrase "peripheral vision" was used quite a bit.  I've never relied on it as I didn't trust it.  Turns out the reason I have never trusted it was because I DIDN'T PUT IN THE TIME TO LEARN TO TRUST IT.  It's amazing what the mind sees, even if the conscious part of your mind isn't aware of it.

All in all, it's a good class for anyone looking to improve their shooting.  I think I can guarantee most any shooter will pick up at least one thing that will make them a better shooter.  (In my case, it was several things.) 

Now all I have to do is practice those things. 

Thanks Thomas!

"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline JTH

• NFOA Full Member
  • Shooter
    • Precision Response Training
Re: AAR- PTR "Fundamentals" class
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2011, 12:23:02 PM »
I completed the PTR Handgun Fundamentals class yesterday. 

[snip]

All in all, it's a good class for anyone looking to improve their shooting.  I think I can guarantee most any shooter will pick up at least one thing that will make them a better shooter.  (In my case, it was several things.) 

Now all I have to do is practice those things. 

Thanks Thomas!

Glad it was helpful! 

(And apparently I need to work on my advertising "branding," because we are PRT -- Precision Response Training, not PTR, and it only occurred to me afterward that I forgot to give everyone business cards and push the name.  [sigh]  I'm not a marketing guy.  Obviously!  :)  )

Precision Response Training
http://precisionresponsetraining.com

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
Re: AAR- PTR "Fundamentals" class
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2011, 01:59:37 PM »
:)  Sorry 'bout that!  Regardless of the name of the outfit, it was time well spent, even though I was pretty sunbaked by the end of the day.   
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller