< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Burglar's family awarded $300K in wrongful death lawsuit  (Read 1867 times)

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
Burglar's family awarded $300K in wrongful death lawsuit
« on: August 30, 2011, 07:44:41 AM »
Another example of a property owner using poor judgement. Not sure how they avoided criminal charges.

- Shawn

http://www.gazette.com/articles/jury-123946-burglar-lot.html#ixzz1WAJvzqf5

2011-08-26 12:30:21

An El Paso County jury on Friday awarded nearly $300,000 to the daughter of a burglar who was fatally shot in 2009 while breaking into an auto lot.

Parents of the victim, Robert Johnson Fox, embraced their attorneys after a judge announced the jury’s verdict, capping a two-week-long civil trial in which business owner Jovan Milanovic and two relatives were painted as vigilantes who plotted a deadly ambush rather than let authorities deal with a string of recent burglaries.

Phillip and Sue Fox, who filed suit for wrongful death in 2010 on behalf of Fox’s 3-year-old daughter, called the jury’s award a victory in their fight to seek accountability for the death of their son, who they say never posed a threat to the heavily armed men.

“Rob was in the wrong place doing the wrong thing, but the punishment didn’t fit the crime,” Sue Fox said afterward. “I can’t excuse his actions, but he didn’t deserve to be executed.”

The exact amount of the award was $269,500, for factors such as loss of companionship and loss of future earnings. The family will also be awarded some of the costs associated with the more than yearlong legal battle.

The jury of three men and three women deliberated for 2½ days over closely contested testimony about the predawn shooting on April 19, 2009.

Fox, 20, was shot after he and a friend scaled a fence to get inside Southwest Auto Sales at 2444 Platte Place in the city’s Knob Hill neighborhood. According to the accomplice, Brian Corbin, they had smoked methamphetamine and were looking to steal anything to buy more drugs.

Corbin testified he saw two armed men charge out of a building and run in their direction, one of them shouting “we’re gonna get you” in an obscenity-laced threat. Corbin, who escaped by climbing over a car and jumping a fence, said he felt a bullet pass by him as someone fired four gunshots.

Fox was standing inside a small shed when a .45-caliber rifle bullet passed through the shed’s door and pierced his heart.

Police said in a 145-page investigative report that the intruder had knives in his pockets and one strapped to his ankle, but never posed a threat to Milanovic or the other men, his father Ljuban Milanovic and brother-in-law Srdjan Novak.

The men are refugees who came to the United States from the former Yugoslavia in 1998.

Jurors found that Fox’s death was the result of “willful and deliberate” conduct by Jovan Milanovic, who was accused of firing the rifle, and Novak, who supplied the semiautomatic Heckler & Koch that Milanovic used in the killing.

Only Ljuban Milanovic emerged without a judgment against him.

The jurors declined to comment after the trial.

"It's been a long two weeks," one said before getting on an elevator.

The three men were accused of keeping an armed vigil over the auto lot and firing on the first burglars they saw. The men were angry over a series of thefts that began when someone broke in a week earlier and stole keys to customers’ automobiles as well as keys to buildings on the property.

Car stereos were taken in the days that followed, according to testimony.

Under Colorado’s self-defense laws, the use of deadly force is justified only under the “reasonable belief” that it’s necessary to prevent serious bodily injury or death. The jury found that none of the men had a legitimate claim of self-defense.

Property rights are not a lawful defense for using deadly force in Colorado, and the state’s so-called Make My Day law, which sets lower standard for using force, applies to households, not businesses.

For the plaintiff's attorneys, Terry Rector and Jennifer Stock, Friday's verdict ended an emotionally draining fight for the girl, Sidney Richardson, who has been cared for by the elder Foxes for the past year.

Rector, of Colorado Springs, had represented Fox on traffic matters, and said his death came as a blow.

"I can see him sitting in my office today," an emotional Rector said as participants filed out of the courthouse.

"This is a victory for Sidney Richardson. It's the only measure of justice we have - we cannot bring her father back."

Said Stock: "This jury didn't let sympathy and bias influence them. That's why we got the correct verdict that follows the law."

Milanovic and his father told police a week before the shooting they would shoot any intruders who returned. Police say the men concealed the rifle in the trunk of a car so well that a police detective initially missed it during a search.

The 4th Judicial District Attorney's Office declined to file charges in the shooting, and instead sent the case to a grand jury, which decided against returning an indictment, effectively clearing the trio of criminal wrongdoing.

The civil award has no criminal implications for the Milanovics or Novak.

Defense attorneys John P. Craver and Chelsey Burns declined to comment.

© Copyright 2011 Freedom Communications. All Rights Reserved.
Privacy Policy | User Agreement | Site Map
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Re: Burglar's family awarded $300K in wrongful death lawsuit
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2011, 07:50:11 AM »
Ah, yes, the case where the burglar was hiding in a shed and the car lot guys blasted him through the door.

I think this case demonstrates what will happen if you shoot an individual who may be stealing from you but poses no physical threat to you or anyone else around you. 

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2011, 12:59:05 PM »
I don't feel a bit sorry for the burglar, and his daughter will see a whole lot more support ($267,000 worth) than she ever would have from a crank-head father.........

If this had been Texas, there would have been no legal issues........ God Bless Texas.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2011, 01:07:45 PM »
I don't feel a bit sorry for the burglar, and his daughter will see a whole lot more support ($267,000 worth) than she ever would have from a crank-head father.........

If this had been Texas, there would have been no legal issues........ God Bless Texas.
My thoughts exactly.

Offline omaharj

• social catalyst
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2011, 03:57:23 PM »

Jimp, What is  the difference in Texas law that makes you think it would have been OK there? RJ

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2011, 04:06:45 PM »
I don't feel sorry for the burglar either but, if you're going to carry a gun, you need to know the law.  In Texas, you can defend your property with deadly force.  Not so much in Colorado.  The shooters are fortunate that they didn't end up in a murder trial.

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2011, 05:08:06 PM »
The state should pay the judgement. The property owners saved Colorado tax payers millions in incarceration fees and attorney fees for the tweaker.

Where did they put that shovel?
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2011, 06:43:17 AM »
Another example of a property owner using poor judgement. Not sure how they avoided criminal charges.

- Shawn

Absolutely..........

Offline JimP

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2011, 06:15:59 PM »
Jimp, What is  the difference in Texas law that makes you think it would have been OK there? RJ

In Texas, you may use deadly force to protect property after dark,  IIRC.
The Right to Keep and BEAR Arms is enshrined explicitly in both our State and Federal Constitutions, yet most of us are afraid to actually excercise that Right, for very good reason: there is a good chance of being arrested........ and  THAT is a damned shame.  III.

Offline dark 45

• Forum Member
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2011, 05:31:39 PM »
this is what makes owning a gun for defense of self family and possessions almost not even worth it. you protect your family house and belongings only to have them striped bare by the courts? might as well let the robbers come it smack you and your family around then take everything, at least the robber will leave after. the courts and government won't stop. its sickening how the government wants the criminals out there to justify the money we pump into their police anti drug and law makers. protecting the people my ass. i feel sorry for the brave men and women of law enforcement having to answer to these scumbags and ****y laws.

Offline KGillen

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2011, 10:19:47 PM »
this is what makes owning a gun for defense of self family and possessions almost not even worth it. you protect your family house and belongings only to have them striped bare by the courts? might as well let the robbers come it smack you and your family around then take everything, at least the robber will leave after

Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.
"The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people."

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2011, 12:30:16 PM »
In Texas, you may use deadly force to protect property after dark,  IIRC.

They were retreating.  They were not a threat to the shooters, nor their property because they were retreating, trying to leave the parts lot. 

Sorry, deadly force was not warranted, and the shooters should have been tried for murder.

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2011, 07:57:41 AM »
They were retreating.  They were not a threat to the shooters, nor their property because they were retreating, trying to leave the parts lot. 

Sorry, deadly force was not warranted, and the shooters should have been tried for murder.

Ron

Sorry, but there's also a reason why the grand jury did not seek to pursue charges. Since they were acquitted this civil trial should never have happened.

And i find it disgusting that the state expects business owners should have to lay down and let scum take off with their life savings.

"Lost income" my ass. Her father was a methhead and a favor was probably done to her. For all we know he would have been the death of his daughter.

It's absolutely disgusting that Fox is being painted as the victim here. The real victims are the business owners who were only trying to protect their livelyhood. Now everything has been taken from them.
Granted i most likely would not have used deadly force as they did and under those circumstances but come on!

Offline Sotex

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2011, 03:24:28 AM »
IIRC, in Texas his partner could have been prosecuted for capital murder, as he was participating in a felony during the course of which someone lost there life.

Offline dark 45

• Forum Member
« Reply #14 on: October 23, 2011, 03:07:12 AM »

Better to be tried by 12, than carried by 6.

i agree with the saying, as i have heard it many times. i was just being mellow dramatic with what i said, in jest of the fact that the man would have probably paid less if he just let the guy take what ever he wanted.

did he also lose his rights to own firearms?

Offline HuskerXDM

• 2014 NFOA Firearms Rights Champion
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2011, 11:19:16 AM »
"Police said in a 145-page investigative report that the intruder had knives in his pockets and one strapped to his ankle, but never posed a threat to Milanovic or the other men..." (my emphasis added)

I wonder how much of a threat he would have posed if the business owner had not been armed.  It certainly sounds like he came prepared to do harm if needed. 

I must be old-school on this, and I'm not trying to argue with anyone, but if I bought it, or it's my business... it's mine.  If you are trying to take it, you are wrong.  If the business owner would have been killed, would his family have gotten 300K from a meth-head?
The master has failed more than the beginner has even tried.