< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: WV concealed carry gets murder charge  (Read 1401 times)

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
WV concealed carry gets murder charge
« on: September 01, 2011, 08:06:46 AM »
http://www.wvmetronews.com/index.cfm?func=displayfullstory&storyid=47372

Logan Prosecutor Says They're Still Gathering Evidence
MetroNews Talkline
Logan, Logan County

Logan County Prosecuting Attorney John Bennett 

The Prosecuting Attorney in Logan County says he wants to be careful what he says publicly about a case involving a Logan man who allegedly shot and killed the man who robbed him.

It happened earlier this week at the Logan Wal-Mart.

"At this time, we're still gathering information, statements and whatever else they can come up with, evidence and I really don't want to comment at all," Prosecuting Attorney John Bennett said on Thursday's MetroNews Talkline.

Logan Police say David Abbot, 37, from Chapmanville had taken money from Jesus Canul, 26, of Logan (pictured above right) who had just cashed his paycheck at Wal-Mart.

Abbot threatened Canul with a sharp object, possibly scissors, during that robbery.

Once he took off with the money in the parking lot, reports indicate Canul, who has a concealed weapon permit, pulled out a gun and allegedly shot Abbot in the head.  Abbot died at the Logan County Medical Center.

Canul claims he was acting in self defense, but Bennett says there are clear legal definitions for that.

"If and when it ever gets to a grand jury, the judge would instruct them specifically on the law of self defense in this state."  He says he has seen cases like this one before now.

"The facts are always somewhat different but, in many respects, quite similar."

At this point, Canul is facing murder charges.

"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline Lorimor

• NFOA Full Member
  • Relay 2
Re: WV concealed carry gets murder charge
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2011, 08:24:00 AM »
Judging by what has been presented here, I'd say "yep", Canul wasn't acting in self-defense. 

I'd say he might be in just a little bit of trouble. 
"It is better to avoid than to run; better to run than to de-escalate; better to de-escalate than to fight; better to fight than to die. The very essence of self-defense is a thin list of things that might get you out alive when you are already screwed." – Rory Miller

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2011, 09:23:10 AM »
This is the kind of case that helps the anti's with their arguments against CC.

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2011, 10:10:29 AM »
Jury nullification.
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2011, 10:47:35 AM »
I have read some other comment on this incident where Jesus Canul had broken free of the thief and produced his firearm and the thief had just turned like he was retreating when Jesus fired.  Things may not be as clear as they were written in this article.

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2011, 11:29:40 AM »
This is the kind of case that helps the anti's with their arguments against CC.
I agree. They’ll play it as if he shot a girl scout selling cookies. Never mind the fact that the guy was a criminal thug.
If I didn’t feel that my life was going to end during the incident, I certainly would not have shot him as he was leaving (gamble your life(criminal charges) over what must have been a several hundred dollar paycheck?). I’d rather be a good witness… At least until I move to Texas!

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2011, 11:32:23 AM »
I have read some other comment on this incident where Jesus Canul had broken free of the thief and produced his firearm and the thief had just turned like he was retreating when Jesus fired.  Things may not be as clear as they were written in this article.
I believe that Walmart's parking lots have cameras. The truth (video footage) should come out eventually.

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2011, 05:25:33 PM »
walmart cameras will only be helpful if it happened at the front of the store. Most are wide angle and aren't good in low light. Now, being in WV, they probably are still on VCR tapes, which will be even less useless.

I could be wrong, but as a professional cctv installer, and having experience with Walmart systems, the video will be crap at best.
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.