< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Shooting events at NFOA member's meeting  (Read 2825 times)

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Shooting events at NFOA member's meeting
« on: September 03, 2011, 04:14:17 PM »
I'm working on a couple of organized shooting events for the Oct. 15th member's meeting at the Lincoln Izaak Walton League.  The details haven't been finalized but I thought I would throw this out and see if anyone had any suggestions.  We'll be charging a small entry fee to cover the cost of targets and hopefully raise some money for the NFOA. 

First off, we're planning on having a handgun poker shoot.  We'll have some targets with a random assortment of cards printed on them.  The shooter will draw a target, then take 5 shots at 10 meters, with the best hand winning.  Or maybe best 5 out of 7 shots.  I'm open to ideas.

I'm also planning some sort of silhouette shoot, probably a rimfire event.  The range has rimfire silhouettes at 25, 50, 75, and 100 meters.  I think this would be a fun event for any kids who want to shoot.

If anyone has any suggestions let me know.  We'll be ordering targets in the new few days so it would be good to get an idea of how many people are interested in the poker shoot.

Offline Mudinyeri

• God, save us!
  • NFOA Full Member
  • Run for the Hills
Re: Shooting events at NFOA member's meeting
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2011, 06:05:45 PM »
A few of us were talking about a Tic-Tac-Toe shoot.  Basically, it's a Tic-Tac-Toe pattern on an 8.5X11 piece of paper.  Each square is divided by a diagonally line.  On one side of each line is an X.  On the other side is an O.  Competitors take turns shooting.  You must hit within your half of the square to score your letter.  If you hit on the other half of the square, you score for your opponent.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2011, 06:17:10 PM »
I have 3 ideas.

All at 100 yards/meters(whichever)

1). Best 5 shot group for .22LR - scoped rifle.

2). Best 5 shot group for centerfire rifle, open sights.

3). Best 5 shot group for centerfire rifle, scoped.

Price per target? well, I need some help with that.  $1?  $2?  $5? 
I'm thinking winner gets half the pot, second gets their money back and the rest is donated to NFOA.

Whatcha think?
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline omaharj

• social catalyst
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2011, 07:44:43 PM »
I'm working on a couple of organized shooting events for the Oct. 15th member's meeting at the Lincoln Izaak Walton League.  The details haven't been finalized but I thought I would throw this out and see if anyone had any suggestions.  We'll be charging a small entry fee to cover the cost of targets and hopefully raise some money for the NFOA. 

First off, we're planning on having a handgun poker shoot.  We'll have some targets with a random assortment of cards printed on them.  The shooter will draw a target, then take 5 shots at 10 meters, with the best hand winning.  Or maybe best 5 out of 7 shots.  I'm open to ideas.

I'm also planning some sort of silhouette shoot, probably a rimfire event.  The range has rimfire silhouettes at 25, 50, 75, and 100 meters.  I think this would be a fun event for any kids who want to shoot.

If anyone has any suggestions let me know.  We'll be ordering targets in the new few days so it would be good to get an idea of how many people are interested in the poker shoot.

I'm up for the handgun poker shoot. How does the entry costs work? I may need to get a couple entries if I want to have a chance to be competitive!  RJ

Offline AAllen

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #4 on: September 03, 2011, 11:34:26 PM »
Cost of shooting events and prizes will be set during the next Borad meeting.  There are/will be range fees that will need to be covered in the event entry fees, so don't be shocked when the cost is higher than what has been discussed so far.

Offline bbtech

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2011, 08:36:45 AM »
I would be interested in the poker and the silhouette shoot.

Offline RobertH

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2011, 10:27:38 AM »
ill do just about anything.  hopefully ill have enough money and ammo for this stuff.
Follow the NFOA on Twitter: @NFOA_Official

Offline Eagle1

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2011, 04:24:43 PM »
My baby said she would try a rim fire event. She even asked if I would teach her to shoot the handguns. :o
 :D Proud father here.
USN 83-87, American Legion

Offline gsd

• 2013 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 12:02:29 PM »
ill do just about anything.  hopefully ill have enough money and ammo for this stuff.

What this guy said lol.
It is highly likely the above post may offend you. I'm fine with that.

Offline kozball

• Steel Benefactor
« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2011, 08:37:53 PM »
Certainly, not speaking for everyone. But, I think that whatever you put together will be fine with those that show up. Just let us know what and when.

If you build it, we will come.  :P :P
\"Freedom is never more than one generation away from extinction. We didn\'t pass it to our children in the bloodstream. It must be fought for, protected, and handed on for them to do the same.\"

Ronald Reagan

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2011, 08:56:21 AM »
Does anyone know if Ikes allows for holstered carry off the firing line?

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2011, 09:29:05 AM »
If I remember correctly the club rules don't address it one way or the other.  As long as no one is handling a firearm while people are down range it should be ok.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2011, 09:36:01 AM »
Does anyone know if Ikes allows for holstered carry off the firing line?
It does not allow  open carry of holstered firearms
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline SBarry

• Former BOD, NFOA Volunteer , NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award Winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2011, 11:37:00 AM »
They don't even allow you to wear a holster! Zeeb knows the rules, maybe he will chime in here.
The sheep don't like this sheepdog until the wolves start working the flock.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2011, 07:09:33 PM »
I think the no holster may just be a Rock Your Glock rule.  Not sure though.

It sounds like we're going to have a good turnout for the poker shoot.  For rimfire silhouette I was thinking we could do separate classes for rifle and pistol, if there's enough interest.

Offline Dan W

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2011, 07:31:27 PM »
I think the no holster may just be a Rock Your Glock rule.  Not sure though.

It sounds like we're going to have a good turnout for the poker shoot.  For rimfire silhouette I was thinking we could do separate classes for rifle and pistol, if there's enough interest.

When I took my range qualification I was told  that I should not be wearing a holstered handgun on the ranges.  I had previously asked about this because I have a CHP.

http://lincolnikes.org/Rifle_Pistol_Range_Rules_2011.pdf

Loaded firearms are not permitted to be carried into the clubhouse or on the range in a holster.

One might be able to carry concealed an unloaded handgun and be within the rules
Dan W    NFOA Co Founder
Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom.   J. F. K.

Offline kruiz

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2011, 11:31:11 PM »
What about a pistol or rifle dual? maybe a pair of shooting trees? (if anyone saw the first season of "Top Shot" at the end you'll know what I'm talking about) and would each event have a separate fee? or is it a flat fee for all competitions?   

Offline Rich B

• NFOA Co-Founder
« Reply #17 on: September 18, 2011, 08:26:03 PM »
How about bowling pins?
NRA Life Member.

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2011, 07:26:01 PM »
Ikes implemented a "No Holster" rule a few years ago at the urging of some rather uninformed members......... Definitely not MY rule for RYG...... However you are allowed to practice drawing and shooting from a holster at the line.... You just can't carry one around at the range.