< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: First Offical Contact For Me  (Read 2586 times)

Offline Wildgoose

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • NFOA Full Member
First Offical Contact For Me
« on: September 12, 2011, 08:52:18 PM »
Had to happen sooner or later I guess. This was a real supprise too. I was headed for a motorcycle rally held down at Harlan County Lake by my M/C club last weekend. It was about noon on Thursday and I was going south on Hi way 10 about ten miles south of Minden, NE. Pretty much in the middle of nowhere. Lo and behold right in the middle of nowhere was one of those safety check set ups. I was so supprised that I never stopped to think that I was armed. The HP waived me to a stop asked for my drivers license and proceeded to check my head lights, tail lights, etc. Of course I was still sitting on my bike and had not even shut it off. He was handing my license back to me when it hit me that I had not informed him that I was a CCW holder and armed. So, I did so. His responce was a smile and "OK, have a nice day". I said "You too Officer", kicked it into gear and took off. Not much drama I am afraid but I am not complaining. Hope the next time goes as well.

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
Re: First Offical Contact For Me
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2011, 09:27:48 PM »
It's funny how you get so used to carrying that you forget you even have it on you. 

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2011, 08:23:49 AM »
Sounds like a really good experience.  Its how they should all go if you ask me.
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2011, 08:51:57 AM »
In my experiences the State Patrol are well trained on the procedures and seem to be more relaxed than the city and county LEOs.  I think that they 'get it' that if you have the permit and you do your duty in informing them, then obviously you are not meaning anybody any harm.
Why can't we get that through to the other's is beyond me.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline Wesley D

• NFOA Full Member
  • Rifleman
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2011, 05:21:17 PM »
Agreed.  State Patrol seems to have a better general attitude than some local LEOs. 

Okay, this is going OT from the carry issue, but "safety check setup"?  Like a "papers please" checkpoint?  And this was randomly placed on a road?  I've not run into one of these, but it doesn't sound like a good thing.  Tell me if I'm misunderstanding the checkpoint.  This sounds like a big chipping away at the 4A.  Wonder what statute authorizes these checkpoints and what it would take to make these searches illegal? 
"I will accept the rules that you feel necessary to your freedom. I am free, no matter what rules surround me. If I find them tolerable, I tolerate them; if I find them too obnoxious, I break them. I am free because I know that I alone am morally responsible for everything I do." -Robert Heinlein

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2011, 05:55:34 PM »
I've run into these checkpoints a couple of times.  I think it's been ruled as legal as long as they check every vehicle.  They check your blinkers, headlights, etc.  Of course it's meant to catch DUI's or that guy who suddenly starts sweating and stammering while talking to the officer.

Offline RLMoeller

• Sponsor- NFOA Firearm Raffle at the 2009 Big Buck Classic. 2010 Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2011, 06:30:31 PM »
I've run into these a few times during rush hour on the way home, Q Street exit on I-80.  They were looking for expired plates, no insurance, etc.

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2011, 08:29:56 PM »
They seem to have these about every other weekend in Columbus when me and the wife go back to our hometown.  Never run into one around Omaha yet.
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com

Offline Husker_Fan

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2011, 09:08:02 AM »
They can't search your vehicle without your permission or probable cause.  However, they can run a vehicle check because every vehicle is registered and licensed by the state.  As long as they check everyone, it has been ruled OK.

The other thing they do with these is put up a sign warning for" slow traffic, drug check ahead."  They put someone in a concealed spot to see if anyone makes a 'U' turn in the median, and a cruiser then pulls them over for the illegal turn.

Offline DanClrk51

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2011, 05:28:35 AM »
I had my 2nd pull over last week since carrying concealed. I was traveling on Giles & 96th through the intersection (ran the yellow and it changed to red while I was still in the middle of the intersection). Papillion cruiser pulled me over. Older Cop, real nice. I notified him right away, let him know it was in the glove box and he was cordial and just said ok may i see your license. So i handed him permit & DL and then he needed to see my insurance and registration which is in the glove box under the gun. So i told him it was in there. Again he was friendly, asked what I carry and said its ok just go ahead and "take it out and put it on the floor below for me". So i did and handed him the documents. Everything went smooth and he only gave me a warning so i got off easy that day :)

The first time i got pulled over was two years ago and also in Papillion. That encounter also went smooth so my experience with Papillion PD has been very good so far. Very professional officers i have dealt with and I'm thankful for their cordial treatment. They never did disarm me, even with this encounter i offered to put it in the holster and hand it to him but he was ok with it being on the floor.

:D

Offline Chris Z

• NFOA Co-Founder
    • Nebraska Concealed Carry Training
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2011, 06:50:57 AM »
I had my 2nd pull over last week since carrying concealed. I was traveling on Giles & 96th through the intersection (ran the yellow and it changed to red while I was still in the middle of the intersection). Papillion cruiser pulled me over. Older Cop, real nice. I notified him right away, let him know it was in the glove box and he was cordial and just said ok may i see your license. So i handed him permit & DL and then he needed to see my insurance and registration which is in the glove box under the gun. So i told him it was in there. Again he was friendly, asked what I carry and said its ok just go ahead and "take it out and put it on the floor below for me". So i did and handed him the documents. Everything went smooth and he only gave me a warning so i got off easy that day :)

The first time i got pulled over was two years ago and also in Papillion. That encounter also went smooth so my experience with Papillion PD has been very good so far. Very professional officers i have dealt with and I'm thankful for their cordial treatment. They never did disarm me, even with this encounter i offered to put it in the holster and hand it to him but he was ok with it being on the floor.

:D

I grew up in Papillion, and I can honestly say their officers have always been good, down-to-earth, friendly and professional. Now that city next door to Papio.......... Don't know what happened there  :-)

Offline Ross Berck

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2011, 11:11:37 AM »
Every time I see these kind of safety or drug checks, my mind goes to some communist country.  I think they have a tendency to desensitise us to being stopped,checked or searched...after all it may catch a drunk or worse...a little loss of freedom where the ends justify the means...what, are you trying to hide something?

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2011, 11:58:55 PM »
Every time I see these kind of safety or drug checks, my mind goes to some communist country.  I think they have a tendency to desensitise us to being stopped,checked or searched...after all it may catch a drunk or worse...a little loss of freedom where the ends justify the means...what, are you trying to hide something?

I agree, it is considered 3rd world citizen control tactics as far as I'm concerned. The only thing good that comes out of it is that it justifies employing more cops to control the people.

Offline FarmerRick

• NFOA Co-Founder
  • Antagonist of liberals, anti-hunters & hoplophobes
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2011, 05:58:52 AM »
I agree, it is considered 3rd world citizen control tactics as far as I'm concerned. The only thing good that comes out of it is that it justifies employing more cops to control the people.

I would not consider that a good thing....
Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety.

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2011, 01:43:25 PM »
In nearly five years of carrying with a CHP, I have only had one official contact with an LEO while I was carrying.  It was a county sheriff's deputy (Saunders I believe).  He stopped me for going too fast on Hwy 6 near Ashland.  The road was freshly paved.  I was looking for an unfamiliar road going north to Mead, and I didn't realize I was going about 60 (the normal speed limit) in a 50-mph construction zone (no workers present).  He approached and asked for my license and registration, and while I was getting them out, I told him I had a CHP and was carrying.  He acknowledged my statement, but didn't seem to care at all.  He didn't ask to see my permit or my weapon.  When I told him I was distracted because I was trying to find my way north to Mead to act as a volunteer communications operator (ham radio) for a bicycle race and didn't realize how fast I was going on the fresh, smooth pavement, he issued me a warning and told me how to get where I was going.

In my humble opinion 99% of LEOs will not hassle you in any way about a CHP (or anything else) unless they suspect you of some wrong doing, or you don't treat them with dignity and respect.
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.