< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Gun collector kills self  (Read 1541 times)

Offline Rodney Moorhead

• Powder Benefactor
Gun collector kills self
« on: October 01, 2011, 11:43:14 AM »
http://www.mountain-news.com/news/article_a5e490da-eaab-11e0-bedb-001cc4c002e0.html
Felony weapons charges against a Running Springs man were dismissed on Sept. 20 in a San Bernardino Superior courtroom after the deputy district attorney prosecuting him informed the judge the defendant had committed suicide.

Randall Jay Rusciolelli, 47, sent a typewritten letter announcing his intentions to The Mountain News shortly before shooting himself in the head on Sept. 19. The letter said he intended to kill himself while seated "under my favorite tree."

The letter said Rusciolelli was a lifelong gun collector. It also denied allegations by a former girlfriend that he had threatened her life.

Rusciolelli, a 20-year full-time resident who owned a plumbing company, was arrested at his Firwood Drive home Sept. 2 after his unidentified one-time girlfriend phoned sheriff's department dispatchers to say he had threatened to kill her and that he had numerous weapons at his home.

Authorities obtained a search warrant and arrested Rusciolelli after he reportedly tried to flee on foot, reportedly armed with a loaded pistol. Rusciolelli's letter did not comment on why he attempted to flee.

Approximately 50 weapons were found in his home, along with thousands of rounds of ammunition, including tracer rounds, whose possession is illegal in California, deputies said.

Rusciolelli, who court records say had no prior criminal charges, was free on $500,000 bail at the time of his death. He faced seven felonies, including threatening a crime, three counts of possessing an explosive device in a public place and three of possessing an assault weapon.

The charges were dismissed by Judge Richard V. Peel at the request of prosecutor Karen Khim. Her motion came during a disposition hearing. Khim told the judge she had confirmed Rusciolelli's death with the sheriff's department, and moved for dismissal in the interests of justice.

According to a sheriff's report, Rusciolelli called his ex-wife's workplace at 4:32 p.m. on Sept. 19 and left her a voicemail saying he was going to kill himself at home. The woman told authorities she could hear a gunshot and moaning as the message played.

Rusciolelli's letter said he was "a collector of fine firearms both military and commercial." He placed the value of his collection at $283,000.

The envelope which held his letter also contained a photocopy of what purported to be a temporary permit for one assault weapon, issued Dec. 9, 1990, by then-Attorney General John K. Van De Kamp.

Rusciolelli denied the threat charge and said it was made by an ex-girlfriend who had called him "at all hours of the day and night" after their breakup.

"I am not a survivalist, paramilitarist, nor a right or left-winger," his letter said. "I am an American citizen who loves to go into the desert to shoot rifles, pistols and shotguns.

"My guns have never killed any living thing, and in my 31 years of target shooting no harm has ever been inflicted upon any beings," he wrote.

Rusciolelli's letter also included a handwritten message. "This is not a reckless act," he said of his impending suicide, "as the bullet may lodge in the tree bark if it exits my scull (sic)."

His 10-paragraph letter ended with a political statement. "We Americans are losing too many of our rights under the guides (sic) of terrorism laws," he wrote.

After noting that, if convicted, he could expect to spend from one to six years in prison, Rusciolelli typed an apology to all his friends.

"But I cannot handle that I am now penniless, homeless and about to lose my freedom over my zealous collecting," he wrote. "Thank you for all the times we had. It is better to die a free and armed man than a broke, imprisoned and unarmed one."

Randy's Letter:
Quote:
"An open letter to the Mountain Communities"

I was a collector of fine firearms both military and commercial. The actual value of the firearms and ammo taken from me was $283,000.00. The terrorist threat charge was made against me by a girl I broke up with over 4 months ago. She had called at all hours of the day and night and the Sheriff’s have the evidence in both our phone records. I called for help over 3 different months to no avail. Recently she broke into my house through a dog door and changed my email password and stole several items of mine. I never threatened her life and had only called her 2 times in the last 3-4 months. To her ever increasing attacks on me, all I can say to the Sheriff’s is “Total shame on you”.

When I was arrested, they had already possessed both our phone records and recordings of my alleged threats and no corroborating witnesses. The explosive charges against me are for possessing more than 1 pound of sporting (Goex) black powder, possessing military tracer rounds illegal in California, but legal in Arizona, Nevada and other states, and for a destructive device that is a $250.00 black powder golf ball commercially manufactured and clearly stamped for “Black Powder Only” with a fuse hole in the base.

I possess only 1 California Assault weapons license that was issued to me in 1990. Notice that the enclosed license is marked temporary as no permanent one was ever issued. I can only fire one rifle at a time but regardless, they discovered an additional 5 banned rifles without permits.

In 47 years, I have absolutely no criminal or civil record. My bail was set at half a million dollars and most likely will be raised to 1.5 million in my next court appearance. I am not a survivalist, paramilitarist, nor a right or left-winger. I am an American citizen who loves to go into the desert to shoot rifles, pistols and shot guns. I wished I could have had a 155mm Howister canon too, but I did not. My guns have never killed any living thing, and in my 31 years of target shooting, no harm has ever been inflicted upon any beings.

I read the articles about my arrest, and I am astounded by the fact that these officers lied about how they even came to arrest me. Please re-read the articles again.

I found out this 47 year old girlfriend has a history of attacking and suing her last 3 boyfriends. This is a fact that I have found out too late. The police have recording of her on tape admitting to have broken into my house. During the breach, she managed to open my computer and proceeded to change my email, passwords and other devious things.

I have owned my house on Firwood drive in Running Springs for 20 years, and in one day I lost my house, closed my business and had every item taken from me of significant value that I had collected over the span of my lifetime. I spent 6 days in jail and after posting bail of $500,000.00, I got out and spent time with my parents, family, and my dog. Within days of this, I had to go back to court and the judge immediately issued a criminal restraining order against me. “Amazing”!

I cannot let my freedom be placed in control by our present justice system. I have consulted with many top lawyers, and all advised me that 10 years ago, this search warrant would have been illegal; not anymore.
We Americans are losing too many of our rights under the guides of terrorism laws. The bottom line is that the above stated violations will result in a 6 year stay in state prison with the lowest end being a 1 year term with felony conviction. I apologize to all that know me, but I cannot handle that I am now penniless, homeless and about to lose my freedom over my zealous collecting. Thank you for all the times we had. It is better to die a free and armed man than a broke, imprisoned and un-armed one. "

...Com on wanre niht scri?an sceadugenga

Offline NE Bull

• 2011 NFOA Firearm Rights Champion Award winner
  • NFOA Full Member
    • A "friend's" blog
Re: Gun collector kills self
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2011, 12:20:30 PM »
I apologize to all that know me, but I cannot handle that I am now penniless, homeless and about to lose my freedom over my zealous collecting. Thank you for all the times we had. It is better to die a free and armed man than a broke, imprisoned and un-armed one. "

I believe this statement alone speaks volumes for how many Americans are feeling these days.
“It is not an issue of being afraid, It's an issue of not being afraid to protect myself.”
 Omaha Mayor Jean Stothert
 "A gun is a tool, Marian; no better or no worse than any other tool: an axe, a shovel or anything. A gun is as good or as bad as the man using it. Remember that."  Shane

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2011, 01:08:49 PM »
I feel bad for the guy. I just don’t understand California. I am annoyed at how the media emphasize that the weapon was loaded as if that somehow makes it more villainous. They control the language.

Offline sjwsti

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2011, 01:21:10 PM »
Tragic story. It seems he had lived in California long enough to know what their laws were and chose to ignore them assuming he wouldnt get caught. Throw in a crazy ex girlfriend who most likely had knowledge of that and you get a situation like this. Why any serious gun collector would choose to live there is beyond me.

- Shawn
"It's not what you know that will get you into trouble; it's what you know that isn't true"

www.88tactical.com

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #4 on: October 01, 2011, 03:56:40 PM »
I escaped California after 18 years of living there, and have no intent of ever living there again.  Their "gun laws" are only one of the reasons, but to me an important one.

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 06:34:32 PM »
I escaped California after 18 years of living there, and have no intent of ever living there again.  Their "gun laws" are only one of the reasons, but to me an important one.

Ron
They would be off subject... but I'm curious what they are. I enjoy hearing tid-bits about California first-hand.

Offline Ross Berck

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2011, 11:09:27 PM »
There are always unintended consequences to stolen freedoms....sad to see his life wasted.

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2011, 12:51:09 AM »
I am sure this could be seen as very insensitive to the deceased, but whenever I see such a tragedy I can not help but think that their method of suicide did nothing but hurt our efforts to defend the 2nd Amendment.  I realize that, in their depressed state of mind, these individuals are not thinking logically.  Though here is a man who had a strong passion for firearms.  Strong enough that he felt justified in disregarding local law, and now his death will contribute to the gun death statistics which are often quoted when anti-gunners try to take our 2A rights away.

I hope that I will never be in such a deep depression so as to consider taking my life, but if it does ever happen, I hope that I can find another way so as to not give ammunition to our opponents.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline omaharj

• social catalyst
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2011, 06:15:48 AM »
I am sure this could be seen as very insensitive to the deceased, but whenever I see such a tragedy I can not help but think that their method of suicide did nothing but hurt our efforts to defend the 2nd Amendment.  I realize that, in their depressed state of mind, these individuals are not thinking logically.  Though here is a man who had a strong passion for firearms.  Strong enough that he felt justified in disregarding local law, and now his death will contribute to the gun death statistics which are often quoted when anti-gunners try to take our 2A rights away.

I hope that I will never be in such a deep depression so as to consider taking my life, but if it does ever happen, I hope that I can find another way so as to not give ammunition to our opponents.

Fly

Gutsy post. Needed to be said. RJ

Offline NENick

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2011, 10:46:07 AM »
Gutsy post. Needed to be said. RJ
I agree. I will move to a State that allows more freedom before I start breaking local laws. He should have made better decisions, especially in California. It appears he helped sink his own ship.