< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: Game Changer? European firm selling polymer cased ammo next year  (Read 1934 times)

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
Game Changer? European firm selling polymer cased ammo next year
« on: September 23, 2011, 12:40:00 PM »
http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/09/23/extreme-polymer-researchs-polymer-handgun-cartridge-cases/

In part: "A Spanish company called Extreme Polymer Research has developed a line of polymer cases for a number of handgun cartridges and plan to bring them to market next year."

and this REALLY got my attention: "The ammunition will go on sale next year in Europe and hopefully the USA. The retail price in the USA will be in the 6 to 8 cents/case range."

$60 for a thousand rounds of 9mm? YES PLEASE! Obviously remains to be seen if it will come to market and how reliable, but I don't need it for self-defense, I want cheap range ammo. Hooray for technology!
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline Hardwood83

• Powder Benefactor
  • Molon Labe
Re: Game Changer? European firm selling polymer cased ammo next year
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2011, 11:47:11 AM »
Looks like an American firm is working on mostly plastic rifle cases too- including .50BMG!

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/09/26/pcp-polymer-cased-rifle-ammunition/
« Last Edit: September 27, 2011, 10:00:44 AM by Hardwood83 »
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity." Sigmund Freud

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2011, 02:28:34 PM »
Hardwood,

Looks like there is an issue with your link.  This one should work...

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2011/09/26/pcp-polymer-cased-rifle-ammunition

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline SemperFiGuy

• Steel Benefactor
  • GG Grampaw Wuz a DamYankee Cavalryman
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2011, 10:39:21 PM »
Geezzzzzzzzzzz, LOO-EEEEEEEEEEeeezzzzzzz!!!!!

After all this time, I just now finally get together a goodly supply of fired cartridge brass in all my calibers and some Meddler invents Polymer Cased Ammunition!!!!!

Did the Brass Hound thing for years!!!!    Walked around looking down all the time.    Snuck into ranges after IDPA matches.    Got yelled at by Range Safety Officers for catching .357Sig brass on the fly.

It's-already-pointless-to-reload-9mm-for-the-cost-savings-I-only-lose-about-3-cents-per-round-but-I-do-it-anyhow-out-Late-Stage-Terminal-Reloading-Compulsion-and-now-This-Thing-comes-along-and-there-goes................

It's too much.    Gotta go make an appointment with my Shooting Therapist:    Chris Zeeb

I'm going to pray that Obama puts a Great Big Import tax on this stuff so we can't get it here.

Sorta like the Glock .380s.

sfg
Certified Instructor:  NE CHP & NRA-Rifle, Pistol, Shotgun, Personal Protection Inside/Outside Home, Home Firearm Safety, RTBAV, Metallic Cartridge & Shotshell Reloading.  NRA Chief RSO, IDPA Safety Officer, USPSA Range Officer.  NRA RangeTechTeamAdvisor.  NE Hunter Education (F&B).   Glock Armorer

Offline bkoenig

• Gun Show Volunteer
  • Powder Benefactor
  • Aspiring cranky old gun nut
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2011, 09:27:14 PM »
I wonder if the savings will really be enough to justify it vs. aluminum cases.  I would think the major materials cost of a cartridge is the propellant and bullet.  Most of the cost of the case seems like it would come from the actual process of forming it, not the materials.  Just my admittedly ignorant perspective.

Offline Ronvandyn

• Pollywog
  • Powder Benefactor
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2011, 04:18:23 PM »
I'd like to give them a try, just to see how well they work, and if they would be viable as duty/carry rounds.

Ron
NE-CHP Holder, USAF Veteran, NRA Member,  ENGC Member
KC0MXX