< Back to the Main Site

Author Topic: How long did it take?  (Read 5350 times)

Offline Wilson

• NFOA Full Member
  • Not as lean...Not as mean...Still a Marine!
Re: How long did it take?
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2011, 02:06:56 PM »
Congrats!
So...where did you carry first?
what were your thoughts?

Offline sparky

• NFOA Full Member
  • Site Sponsor
    • Midwest Leather Works
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2011, 03:10:42 PM »
Congrats!
what were your thoughts?

And what did you carry and what was it carried in?  I like to know things like that.
www.midwestleatherworks.com
matt@midwestleatherworks.com

Offline y0diggity

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2011, 09:55:03 PM »
Congrats!
what were your thoughts?

I've been wearing my holster for a while now so I would be used to it. As soon as I got my permit, I went inside and holstered up and drove over to Wal-Mart as that's where I was headed when I stopped to check the mail. It was interesting because I felt VERY aware of the gun. Not like at the range where it's just "there" and you forget about it because everyone's doing it, etc. then I just started thinking about how awesome it is that I'm carrying my gun legally and that I'm now in an excellent position to protect my family and myself in the event that SHTF.
That which does not kill us was not trained properly.

Offline y0diggity

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2011, 09:59:41 PM »
And what did you carry and what was it carried in?  I like to know things like that.

Currently I'm carrying a well-used, tried and true Glock 21 in a  Blackhawck CQC Serpa holster. Love it, but I'm also in the market for a smaller rig and have been for several weeks. It's just not easy to find the right combo of size/caliber/price for me. I'm a big guy so the 21 conceals pretty easily under my clothes and when I'm wearing my hoodie jacket, you'd have to have x-ray vision to notice it. :)

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2011, 11:49:03 PM »
I've been wearing my holster for a while now so I would be used to it. As soon as I got my permit, I went inside and holstered up and drove over to Wal-Mart as that's where I was headed when I stopped to check the mail. It was interesting because I felt VERY aware of the gun. Not like at the range where it's just "there" and you forget about it because everyone's doing it, etc. then I just started thinking about how awesome it is that I'm carrying my gun legally and that I'm now in an excellent position to protect my family and myself in the event that SHTF.

You did the WalMart walk.

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline metaldoc

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #25 on: November 23, 2011, 06:53:01 AM »
LOL!   A couple of years ago on the USACC website, an informal survey revealed the majority of new permit holders did the "Wal-Mart Walk" for their first public carry experience.  Looks like the 'tradition' is carrying on. 

It does take a little while to get over the self-awareness of carrying but soon enough you'll feel naked without it.

Offline y0diggity

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2011, 09:03:05 AM »
I guess it's just an American thing, huh? Our very nature draws us to go test new things at Wal-Mart. If someone's going to notice something, it'll probably be at Wal-Mart... :D

Offline OnTheFly

• Steel Benefactor
  • NFOA member #364
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2011, 09:20:16 AM »
I guess it's just an American thing, huh? Our very nature draws us to go test new things at Wal-Mart. If someone's going to notice something, it'll probably be at Wal-Mart... :D

I think it is the opposite.  If there is any place where people do not notice the bizarre, WalMart would be the place.  It is a good place to test the waters and get comfortable with carrying amongst people who (stereotyping here) may not be too concerned with yours or their appearance.   :laugh:

Fly
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline y0diggity

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #28 on: November 24, 2011, 12:09:59 AM »
I think it is the opposite.  If there is any place where people do not notice the bizarre, WalMart would be the place.  It is a good place to test the waters and get comfortable with carrying amongst people who (stereotyping here) may not be too concerned with yours or their appearance.   :laugh:

Fly

That's probably more accurate. Already I've become far more accustomed to it. It's a good-sized piece to keep concealed comfortably, but as long as it keeps tightly pulled in, it's awesome.

Offline stroked93

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2011, 09:36:14 PM »
been waiting since 11/11 they have until 12/26 

Offline DaveB

• NFOA Full Member
  • Future lottery winner!
« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2011, 09:50:13 PM »
The wife's took 8 weeks and mine took 8 weeks and 1 day. There was a lot more of a run on them then though. But come renewal time, it will probably take more time again because there will be a lot of them again.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #31 on: December 19, 2011, 06:46:38 PM »
You'll get your renewal within 5 business days because that is the statute.

Offline y0diggity

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #32 on: December 20, 2011, 10:25:16 AM »
You'll get your renewal within 5 business days because that is the statute.

I dono. Statute on a first-time is 45 days and I know of several people (myself and a couple just above in this thread) who didn't get theirs in the prescribed amount of time. Mine was actually 50 days. I'm not complaining much, I'm very happy to live somewhere where we're able to carry. Yes, I realize that constitutionally we should be allowed to do so regardless of where we live, but lets face it - that's not the way it is unfortunately. With the first mandatory renewal coming up, I can imagine that they'll be swamped so I can see the 5-day thing going straight out the window. It'll be interesting to hear about others' experiences with the renewals. I just got mine so I won't need to yet. Keep us posted.

Offline CitizenClark

• NFOA Full Member
  • Live free or die!
    • Silencer News
« Reply #33 on: December 20, 2011, 10:27:19 AM »
I dono. Statute on a first-time is 45 days and I know of several people (myself and a couple just above in this thread) who didn't get theirs in the prescribed amount of time. Mine was actually 50 days. I'm not complaining much, I'm very happy to live somewhere where we're able to carry. Yes, I realize that constitutionally we should be allowed to do so regardless of where we live, but lets face it - that's not the way it is unfortunately. With the first mandatory renewal coming up, I can imagine that they'll be swamped so I can see the 5-day thing going straight out the window. It'll be interesting to hear about others' experiences with the renewals. I just got mine so I won't need to yet. Keep us posted.

If you don't get your permit in the statutorily prescribed time frame, I suggest calling the governor's office.

Offline bullit

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #34 on: December 20, 2011, 11:33:28 AM »
Remember, it is business days.  With regards to renewal, everyone I know that has renewed, including myself has received in such legislated time frame.  Also, your current permit is still active during the renewal process unless you let it expire prior to said renewal.   Renew in the early four month period before expiration if you are really concerned.

Offline stroked93

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #35 on: December 22, 2011, 06:40:46 PM »
been waiting since 11/11 they have until 12/26

got today so 42 days..   stoked tho!

Offline dukduk

• Powder Benefactor
« Reply #36 on: December 22, 2011, 11:52:41 PM »
11/18 until today ;D

i think they sped it up because they thought i didn't include my military orders with my application, so like a week after i submitted i got a call and i was told to email them another copy. Weird because I know I had to turn in a copy to even submit the application. Must've gotten lost somewhere in the process.

Offline LM4202

• Forum Member
« Reply #37 on: December 25, 2011, 04:40:54 AM »
Remember, it is business days.  With regards to renewal, everyone I know that has renewed, including myself has received in such legislated time frame.  Also, your current permit is still active during the renewal process unless you let it expire prior to said renewal.   Renew in the early four month period before expiration if you are really concerned.

I think the rule states 45 calendar days.

When I first applied, I drove all the way to Lincoln from Omaha because there was a long line and the lady doing the fingerprints was leaving early that day.  When I got to Lincoln CID, the lady there said I saved a few days by going to Lincoln....sure.  ::)

So on day 44, I called them to check on the status because the next day was the 45th day, and was told it was just approved that morning and would go out with that days mail.  So I got it on the 45th day.  So according to the rules, they have to issue the permit, but if the record check reveals any disqualifying info, the permit can be canceled.

009 PERMIT ISSUANCE PROCESS

009.01 If the application for a permit to carry a concealed handgun is complete and all accompanying documentation is submitted, a permit will be issued to the applicant by the Nebraska State Patrol within forty-five (45) calendar days so long as the record check reveals no disqualifying information and applicant meets all of the requirements of the Act and these regulations. If the record check can not be completed within the forty-five (45) calendar day limitation, a permit will be issued but is subject to cancellation if information is received that disqualifies the applicant.

Offline armed and humorous

• NFOA Full Member
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2011, 01:26:27 PM »
My original application in 2007 took 7 days (permit in hand).  My renewal took two.
Gun related issues are, by nature, deadly serious.  Still, you have to maintain a sense of humor about them.